CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having an issue with these turning off TOO soon?
I typically signal early on the bike and by the time I reach the turn, the dam blinker has self-canceled and I haven't even turned yet.

Is this adjustable or perhaps be disabled?

....if I havent even made a turn yet, why is it canceling?
I can even pull the clutch in, but if I travel beyond what Honda thinks is OK, they turn off ?!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Mine is a real nuisance. I had the same issue on my 2012 Gold Wing. The Trophy had the issue, but I was able to turn the feature off. I've not found a way to turn it off for the CTX.

My 2003 ElectraGlide handled this very well. It shut off the turn signal when I accelerated away from the turn.

I've just made a habit of repeatedly hitting the button until I make the turn.

All this crap on the web site about monitoring wheel speeds is bogus. The signals shut off after a predetermined distance. It's way too short. If I turn the signal on at the junction sign, it's off by the time I get to the turn.

This is a very difficult feature to implement on a motorcycle. Honda has taken the easy way out by limiting the distance.

I'm always amazed at the large number of folks who ask for this feature. I don't think I've ever left my blinker on after a turn. Now that I've said that, I'll probably do it today. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,172 Posts
This is actually one of the reasons I changed my mind and went with the base model instead of the Deluxe -- that and having some reservations about how well traction control would work on a bike after hating how it works in my car. Just like an automatic transmission -- too many times it does what some propellerhead programmed it to do, which is usually not what I want it to do. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, I am understandably iffy about the whole abs, tractioncontrol, self cancelling signals. I've been hung up on whether to get the standard or deluxe model for a while. I know many motorcycle riders who do not really like having ABS, as often the ABS modulation is MORE jarring than simply releasing a locked rear wheel.

I just wish they had put some kind of storage compartments in place of the speakrs on the standard model, instead of grills with nothing behind them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can disable the ABS.
I wanted the Deluxe for other reasons but had I know about this issue, I might have thought twice.

Maybe they are controlled by software and Honda could release a patch or something. I dont know but I could hope I guess...

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm a big fan of ABS. I doubt I'll ever have another street bike without ABS. I ride in a lot of bad weather.

To get the shortest stopping distance without falling off, you have to brake right at the edge of locking up without actually locking up. That's easy on clean dry pavement. It's very difficult on wet or sandy pavement. The ABS does a better job in those conditions than I can do on my own.

The traction control will probably be nice in the winter. I've enjoyed the audio. So I'm happy I chose the Deluxe model.

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
I chose the deluxe because of the abs. Never had it before but kept hearing more good than bad about it so figured I'd go for it this time around.

As to self canceling signals... I'm fine with them. Just have to understand how they work and adjust to that. Yes, they do measure wheel speeds and if you do a turn the front and rear wheels turn at a different rate. If you don't do a turn they are timed. 7 seconds I think. So if you turn on the signal for a turn but it's more than 7 seconds to get there then you will need to hit the button twice. Had the same on my old GW and just learned to do it. No big deal to me really. Had a real problem forgetting to turn them off when I sold the Wing and rode a bike without them. Now having been accustomed to manually turning them off I will still do that, but getting accustomed to letting the auto cancel work again. No problem with hitting the button to keep them on though since I was always paranoid about making sure they were on anyway, and watching for that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 tablet using the Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
ABS ,, Well i had never had it and never needed it , done many of emergency and hard stops over the years , So never thought i would need it .. UNTIL last year I put 2 new tyres on the bike to go away , the rain came and i did'nt want to set of the next day with the wife on the back in the rain and the tyres not scrubbed ,

So i left the dealer , went for a ride in the rain and put 300 oer so klm on to scrub the tyres in ,, 2 minuites from home , i braked at the lights , and the back brake locked up , , released , it and was'nt going to stop braked again and it locked again this time starting to slide out , , I know what your supposed to do , but i was comcentrating on keeping this 390 kilo 500 kilo with me on it monster under control .

I went right through the red light , and controlled it and accelartated out of it ,, But i was lucky , the other cars had seen what was happenning and stopped allowing me to overshoot the lights safely ,, Last bike i bought a v strom has ABS ,, and the next bike i buy will have it has well .. You don't need it till you need it .

·
Registered
406 Posts
I love the ABS much faster than any human response.. Traction control vote is not in on that yet but it is optional with switch.. Now these silly ass turn signals definitely timed to short just like my 2012 wing was,,The minute some wiz figures out how to diable that dangerous option I am all over it

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love the ABS much faster than any human response.. Traction control vote is not in on that yet but it is optional with switch.. Now these silly ass turn signals definitely timed to short just like my 2012 wing was,,The minute some wiz figures out how to diable that dangerous option I am all over it
Need a guy on the "inside" to help with this....Its some ECM controlled is my guess since its not just a flat timer....

:350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Love the blacked out engine on my Deluxe.
Love the audio system.
Potentially love the ABS, after a couple seat-biters on previous bikes.
Traction control... No idea yet but if I don't like it I can flip the button and turn it off.
Self-canceling turn signals are just "meh" for me. I still stab them off out of sheer habit even after riding thousands of miles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Self canceling turn signals was one of the reasons I bought the deluxe. After riding Goldwings sence 1975 I could not remember to turn them off on my NC700. I like the way they work on my CTX1300:smiley-happy0034::smiley-happy0034:

·
Super Moderator
2,172 Posts
I did like the ABS on the one bike I had it on, the Thunderbird. It only actually kicked in once, but having it did add that extra little bit of confidence. I also do love the blackout on the Deluxe. The tunes I could take or leave, so that had little part in the decision. It was the TCS and auto-canceling turn signals that I really didn't want more than I might have liked the ABS and blackout. And then there's the extra $1500 for options that themselves netted out to < zero. For me, anyway. And the black one at the dealer was a standard. So that decision was easy. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
You can disable the ABS.(...)
No.

Unless by "disable" you meant "unplug its connector" ;-)

The self-cancelling unit on the Deluxe is a single block (i.e. Standard and Deluxe have different flasher relay boxes) and doesn't have anything to do with the ECM (i.e. they don't "talk" to each other). I don't see any firmware update in its future BUT, since it does care about "being in a turn", it should be relatively easy to do an aftermarket gizmo which plugs in and artificially extends the turn so that the flasher relay believes you're still in a turn for longer and therefore keeps the indicators on for longer.

There is already market expertise with all the "speedo healer" -kind of crap (no, I don't think tampering with your odometer classifies as "healing" anything -- "fraud" is the name for it), a circuit like that could be adapted to simulate the two pulse frequencies (front and rear wheel) being further apart than they are, thus giving the flasher relay the impression that you're doing a long and slow turn.

It should be equally easy to get a flasher relay from a Standard and plug it into the Deluxe to get non-self-cancelling indicators -- you'd need to craft an adapter harness at the worst.

For completeness's sake, let me mention the ABS and ECM don't talk to each other either: the ABS has pulse outputs for front and rear wheel speed that the ECM uses to do its TCS calculations, but the computers in the ECM, ABS, self-cancelling flasher relay and audio unit are completely independent and don't care about each other.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rear turn signals on the FRITZ

I decided to wire in a custom dynamics triple play module that turns the turn signals into running lights and also provides flashers when the brake is applied. I've done this to several other bikes I've owned in the past without a hitch. The module works perfectly on the other Honda's St1300 and GW 1800, however the CTX 1300 seem to be different After installing the module into the tail, brake,turn signal harness and attempting to program the module something went wrong. Now there are no rear turn signals and the front signals are flashing quickly as if the LED bulbs are out or the relay is shot. The running light and brake light work fine but no rear turn signals at all. Thoughts Please.Any help would be appreciated to no end!!!:350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
446 Posts
Due to the fact that the front turn signals are always on (but dimmed) on the CTX1300 and the rear ones only light up when actually taking a turn, the flasher relay has separate wires for each.
Since the indicators in the dashboard are also LEDs, the flasher relay has separate outputs for those too.

Chances are you fried something and a large invoice is in your future, but let's take the time and debug it:
- check whether the rear lights are still kicking: disconnect from the harness (very important) and feed power directly to them (and by that I mean from the vehicle's battery), one at a time. Ground is the Green wire, Orange is left positive and Light Blue is right positive.
- if the lights do turn on fine, then move on to checking the harness: leaving the rear lights disconnected, go the relay, unplug it from its socket (very important) and check continuity: Light Blue wire at relay socket must be continuous to same colour wire on the harness-side rear light connector; Orange wire at relay must be continuous to same colour wire on the harness-side rear light connector and the Green wire at harness-side rear light connector must be continuous to Ground
- if everything checks out so far, the relay is likely busted

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks so much for the quick come back! will follow your instructions but not sure where the turn flasher relay is located on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Chairider.
That relay is the turn signal (front and rear and dash) as well as the 4 way flasher relay. It is located to the outside on the left just behind the battery box (look to be at least 4 inches square. There is one large connector with all the wires going in/out on the bottom of the unit. If you remove the left middle cowl (and associated lower/radiator cowl first) you will see it easily and can get to that connector.

Wondering here... did you tap into the turn signals and tail light wires at or behind the connector under the seat? or somewhere up front? Under the seat is the proper place for that module to avoid the funky operation of the front turn signals. That's why I made a pigtail to insert between the male and female connectors under the seat for the rear light assembly and have wires tapped off of my pigtail to avoid damage to the factory wires. I use the same connectors as Honda puts on this bike. See my post on that connector HERE for location. My pigtail is shown in the first photo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, followed your directions and found that both rear turn signal LEDs are history. Most likely fried when I attempted to program the Custom Dynamics Triple Play module. How difficult is it to replace the rear turning LED bulbs. Haven't gotten a service manual yet. I assume the detail would be describe there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Chairider.
That relay is the turn signal (front and rear and dash) as well as the 4 way flasher relay. It is located to the outside on the left just behind the battery box (look to be at least 4 inches square. There is one large connector with all the wires going in/out on the bottom of the unit. If you remove the left middle cowl (and associated lower/radiator cowl first) you will see it easily and can get to that connector.

Wondering here... did you tap into the turn signals and tail light wires at or behind the connector under the seat? or somewhere up front? Under the seat is the proper place for that module to avoid the funky operation of the front turn signals. That's why I made a pigtail to insert between the male and female connectors under the seat for the rear light assembly and have wires tapped off of my pigtail to avoid damage to the factory wires. I use the same connectors as Honda puts on this bike. See my post on that connector HERE for location. My pigtail is shown in the first photo.
Thanks... I feel Welcomed!...As you see from my response to csdexter, I think I've located the problem. After following his good and detailed instructions, I found that both rear turn LEDs are not lighting up after hooking them up individually to the battery. I did tap into the harness under the seat as I have done in the past with my other bikes...never had a problem. But for some reason it didn't go to well with the CTX1300. I'm assuming its because of the bikes LED set up but I'm not sure. I'll contact CD next week and hope they might have an answer. Can the LED's be replaced individually??
Thanks for the good advice. By the way the Flashers up front work OK when I turn on the Emergency Flasher switch.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts