CTX 1300 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
One last note, stay away from Custom Dynamics triple play module it will surely cause you problems no matter how you install it. I would also be very leery of other products that they manufacture and sell that "enhance" your bike.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The following day the service manager called and told me that the rear light modules' circuit board specifically, the turn signal boards, both of them, were history and that the entire unit would need to be replaced.
Hmm, the Force isn't very strong with him (or his business). If I was given a choice between selling a 500USD part (which has a not-so-cool margin for me) and fixing the part for, say, 250USD that would amount to 100% margin, I'd take the repair hands down.

But I guess the days when garages actually took pride in their skill and workmanship at fixing things are gone. Sad.

He was also somewhat surprised that Honda decided to build a single break, tail and turn signal unit into the bike rather than fitting
individual LED bulbs.
Yup, that confirms it. The Force is not strong with this one. There are quite a lot of modern bikes that have a combination rear light (i.e. all-in-one).
It's many times harder to optically adapt a LED bulb (i.e. a LED light fitted with a classic bulb end that can be screwed in like a classic bulb can) to a filament bulb fixture (reflector & lens) so that the right amount and colour of light is output to meet regulations.
It's a lot easier to just design for LED from the start and take advantage of the smaller shape and light output characteristics of the LED.

This is very similar to the age-old discussion about people who buy "Xenon kits" that are "guaranteed" to be a drop-in replacement to your headlight bulb -- but when you install it, you get tons of glare; much to the disapproval of incoming road users.

He looked up the cost and was surprised to say the least learning that the repair would cost nearly $500.
That's the price of the whole light fixture + labour to have it changed. Maybe my English comprehension is not that good :D but I wouldn't ever call that a "repair" ;-)

So the moral of the story boys and girls is to listen to your elders, Bob and csdexter, they've been around the block and know this stuff inside out. Never, never tap into the bikes wiring directly. That was my mistake. And I'm lucky I didn't do more damage. Bob has many good ideas diagrams and explanations of how to wire in different components. I urge everyone to follow his directions if you're going to put electrical add-ons onto your CTX 1300. Just want to say thanks to Bob and csdexter for all their good advice. Now, let's move on to happier subjects... Let's ride!:smiley-happy0034::smileygarden_de_ban
Thanks for the compliments, I think it's far more important to investigate before you set out to change things on the bike than to listen to the elders ;-)

And in fairness to CustomDynamics, I'm sure their stuff works just fine on classic bikes equipped with filament bulbs -- just not on the modern ones.

Reactions: bob

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
Two thoughts... maybe three:
Totally agree with @csdexter about the sad state of "repair" these days. I used to work micro-mini circuit repair in the Navy and did actual repair of mainframe computer core memory modules and other systems/circuits and returned to supply stock for the next time needed. First time working for a PC shop out of the military was an eye opener about the decline of doing actual repair when I knew exactly what was needed to repair a problem but it was inclosed in that chunk of plastic, and the so called repair meant replace the whole main board in the computer instead of actually repairing the problem. It's been going down hill since then. I really don't expect any bike shop to have any expertise to repair anything electrical on any bike. Just to replace with a new whole part... plug-n-play mode. Anything more complicated than that is beyond their capability. Fortunately whole engine replacement as a single part is not yet the norm... yet.

Also agree about not being too hard on Custom Dynamics. My ST1100 and now this bike have a LED bar tail/brake (flashing brake) from them. I like that item. I connected using the diagram and plan I've posted elsewhere to isolate it from the factory electronics of the bike and it works great.

Just want to add this also, csdexter was the one who pointed me to the fuse block from Eastern Beaver and also getting my connectors and pins from there. They have more, and more complete solutions, than my "other" source.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Two thoughts... maybe three:
Totally agree with @csdexter about the sad state of "repair" these days. I used to work micro-mini circuit repair in the Navy and did actual repair of mainframe computer core memory modules and other systems/circuits and returned to supply stock for the next time needed. First time working for a PC shop out of the military was an eye opener about the decline of doing actual repair when I knew exactly what was needed to repair a problem but it was inclosed in that chunk of plastic, and the so called repair meant replace the whole main board in the computer instead of actually repairing the problem. It's been going down hill since then. I really don't expect any bike shop to have any expertise to repair anything electrical on any bike. Just to replace with a new whole part... plug-n-play mode. Anything more complicated than that is beyond their capability. Fortunately whole engine replacement as a single part is not yet the norm... yet.

Also agree about not being too hard on Custom Dynamics. My ST1100 and now this bike have a LED bar tail/brake (flashing brake) from them. I like that item. I connected using the diagram and plan I've posted elsewhere to isolate it from the factory electronics of the bike and it works great.

Just want to add this also, csdexter was the one who pointed me to the fuse block from Eastern Beaver and also getting my connectors and pins from there. They have more, and more complete solutions, than my "other" source.
Agree with repair assessment. I work on mostly acoustic pianos but I also do warranty repair work on digital pianos and keyboards for Yamaha, Roland, Casio, etc. they don't even make the parts serviceable anymore. It has become cheaper for them to make the boards where you just replace the whole thing versus replacing individual components on the boards. Every now and then I'll run into an older digital that I can replace parts on the power board or DM board but those are rare.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
By putting the Deluxe model relay in a standard model give you self canceling signals?

I just purchased the 2014 standard model , Ordered the USB audio unit from the dealer I purchased the bike from for 585.00. They gave a 20% discount on parts for 30 days for buying the used CTX1300

A question: If I put the deluxe turn signal self cancel relay (38301-MJN-A11) on this Standard model would it work?

I looked at this forum I couldn't find an answer.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
The self cancelling turn signal system is not just a relay. I'm not sure just replacing the relay will do anything for you. I seem to remember that the computer is what controls the self cancelling feature to you'd have to replace the computer and bunch of other stuff to get that. That feature uses the ABS/TC system to know when you've gone around a turn to cancel the signal and it also has a short timeout if you are simply changing lanes and the computer cannot sense the difference between spin of front and rear wheels that happens in a turn (yeah, there is a difference per going in a straight line and the system is that sensitive). Or maybe I'm just old and don't remember what I'm saying :D

I found that I was manually cancelling the turn signals anyway even though I did have a Deluxe model. Not that the system wouldn't do it for me, but rather I was simply used to doing it myself from not having that feature for a long time. It was a nice feature. But a few member here have mentioned, and I agree, that the timeout to cancel the signal was too short at about 6 seconds and it was necessary to hit the button more than once to keep it on for a coming turn (unless you are someone who only signals at the very last moment :eek: ).

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
472 Posts
The self cancelling turn signals can be disabled by wiring a small relay (the kind that Bob suggests elsewhere in this forum for isolating circuits from the "main" bus). One terminal of the relay is ground (earth for our European riders) and the other to left turn wire. You will need another relay for the right signal. The relay contacts: one to the wire that triggers the turn, the other to 12V. You will need to consult the electrical schematic in the Honda FSM as I don't recall what they are nor am I near my garage to look.

With this setup, each time the turn signals "blink", the relay engages and restarts the turn sequence. I have used this method for 2 years without incident and totally defeats the self-cancelling feature by restarting the timer/distance sequence. You will need to cancel the turn signal blinking manually. I wished Honda allowed a disable/enable feature like on GoldWings.

Reactions: SCS

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
@BlueThunder
I think the question is about ADDING self cancelling turn signals by simply replacing the relay. Not so sure that is all there is to it.
I going to the Honda dealer today to pick up my audio system for my standard CTX. I'm going to ask the service rep if changing to the deluxe relay would do anything. If fine out anything , I will post it

Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I just this week was checking into a device called "STS (smart turn system) Auto Turn Signal Cancelling Module". www.safer-turn.com
Right at $99.00 but when I went to their website I started getting discount offers that brought it down to $55.00 or so. It claims to incorporate "advanced motion sensors and a algorithm that recognizes every movement of the motorcycle". They list the CTX1300 in their list of bikes it will work on. I emailed them to check specifically that it was compatible as they have several models but I'm still waiting to hear from anyone.
Ride safe all

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I just this week was checking into a device called "STS (smart turn system) Auto Turn Signal Cancelling Module". www.safer-turn.com
Right at $99.00 but when I went to their website I started getting discount offers that brought it down to $55.00 or so. It claims to incorporate "advanced motion sensors and a algorithm that recognizes every movement of the motorcycle". They list the CTX1300 in their list of bikes it will work on. I emailed them to check specifically that it was compatible as they have several models but I'm still waiting to hear from anyone.
Ride safe all
Are you going to install this smart turn system?. Do you feel safe on installing this to your bikes electrical system? I put my email on their site, they emailed me 30 dollars discount, price now 69.00

Steve

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Are you going to install this smart turn system?. Do you feel safe on installing this to your bikes electrical system? I put my email on their site, they emailed me 30 dollars discount, price now 69.00

Steve
Here's a youtube video installation. There are a few videos on Youtube

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
The self cancelling turn signal system is not just a relay. I'm not sure just replacing the relay will do anything for you. I seem to remember that the computer is what controls the self cancelling feature to you'd have to replace the computer and bunch of other stuff to get that. That feature uses the ABS/TC system to know when you've gone around a turn to cancel the signal and it also has a short timeout if you are simply changing lanes and the computer cannot sense the difference between spin of front and rear wheels that happens in a turn (yeah, there is a difference per going in a straight line and the system is that sensitive). Or maybe I'm just old and don't remember what I'm saying :D

I found that I was manually cancelling the turn signals anyway even though I did have a Deluxe model. Not that the system wouldn't do it for me, but rather I was simply used to doing it myself from not having that feature for a long time. It was a nice feature. But a few member here have mentioned, and I agree, that the timeout to cancel the signal was too short at about 6 seconds and it was necessary to hit the button more than once to keep it on for a coming turn (unless you are someone who only signals at the very last moment :eek: ).
I think you're correct, here is the diagram on the deluxe

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the STS self cancelling system installed by my local Kawi Dealer for my 2103 Vulcan 800 LT Classic.
I should have been able to do it myself but opted out for him to do it.
The dealer said it is one of the best manufactured aftermarket products that he has seen.
The system works flawlessly.

I installed the brake module from the same company on my Vulcan then transferred it to my CTX1300.
People riding behind me say that it really shows up.
The brake lights start to flash when decelerating.

Presently siting on a Lanai in Kona Hawaii.
Rough life but someone has to do it.
Haven’t seen a CTX1300 here.
Aloha

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
472 Posts
@BlueThunder
I think the question is about ADDING self cancelling turn signals by simply replacing the relay. Not so sure that is all there is to it.
NOOOOOO! You don't want to add them... trust me, you don't want them!:eek:

Reactions: SCS
41 - 60 of 62 Posts