CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
404 Posts
I would also like to know how this works for you, though I don't expect you will have any issues. I didn't know this model existed! And now I am seriously thinking about upgrading my SMH-10. It's been great, but the 20s has some really nice capabilities!

· Premium Member
404 Posts
I'm dying to find out how this worked for you. I'm waiting to hear from you before ordering a 20S. I bought a new helmet and think I will wait to use it until I install the 20S, rather than transferring my existing SMH unit.

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right now I feel that I wasted my money BADLY on the 20S. Audio quality sucks.. the FM option is a total non worker. My sena 10 works MUCH better. I will be reinstalling the 10 for my USA 4 corners ride

· Registered
17 Posts
20s

knite,

I agree. I purchased a 20s as well, and it's still the same tinny setup as before. The connection is pretty tight as well. If you don't pay attention and listen for the very faint click as the control module locks onto the helmet mount, you won't be connected, leading to issues while riding and a potential for arc faults in the micrometers left when the connection isn't made.

I had a similar issue with the 10, where if I'd overtorqued the clamp on the mount, the slide channel for the control module was slight warped and interfered with a good connection.

The jog dial is fine, but 3-4 turns to fully increase volume is a little silly.

I also don't like the button functions they chose on the 20s. Seems like the ergonomic or intuitive places for answering calls and such are in the wrong places.

For the new users out there, you'll have to upgrade the software first before pairing with an iPhone 5s. It didn't pair at first, but it worked after I flashed the 20s software.

In the end, I took it off (helmet: Shoei J-Cruise). I'll hear my wife's ringer in the dash speakers and know to pull over. Otherwise, I'll stick with Pandora and the sound of tires, road, and wind.

The tall screen makes everything pretty audible in the dash. I haven't tried running google maps or some such to see if the voice over music works for directions. I figure it does, but I have to experiment before offering that as a fact to the group.

Wyrm

· Premium Member
404 Posts
Wow. This is not good. I wonder if I should cancel my order? It's a lot of money, and I already have an SMH-10R that DOES work…

:confused:

· Registered
32 Posts
I picked up my CTX on Sat and loving it, but I'm having trouble pairing my Sena SMH10 to the bike. I want to listen to music on USB stick as it looks like I would have much more control than listening to music from my iPhone. Please let me know if you have it working.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
Don't forget- hold the mode and UP volume to pair with the helmet, and hold the mode and DOWN volume to pair with the iPhone or other BT capable player. Of course you don't need to do that last part when using a USB stick. The point is that it matters which volume, up or down, to press with the mode to pair. I've read here somewhere that the smh10 does work with the bike BT.

Sent from my Nexus 7 tablet using the Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow. This is not good. I wonder if I should cancel my order? It's a lot of money, and I already have an SMH-10R that DOES work…

:confused:

I have a single smh10 and I bought the dual 20s. I have removed the 20s and purchasing another smh10 for my trip in about 3 weeks.. I do not want the hassle and poor sound quality to deal with on the USA 4 corners ride.

· Premium Member
404 Posts
I canceled the order. Thanks for saving me $300, especially because I just had some sudden unexpected expenses and could no longer really afford to upgrade at this time.

· Registered
200 Posts
Finally got my SENA 20-01 paired to the on board CTX Bluetooth. I was impressed with the sound and volume sitting in the garage. Turning the SENA Audio boost on did result in a tinnier sound but acceptable. Had my wife call me twice and the phone kicked in no problem, dumping the music. Once the call was ended the music came back on.

The first call was crystal clear on both ends, but the second call was pretty bad on both ends. Got to fathom out the Garmin and intercom comms yet.

Got suckered into the SENA Freewire which is Goldwing/ or Harley application, it'll be going back tomorrow unless they can show me a way to make it work. (Doubt it).

This is my 1st Bluetooth experience so I have nothing to compare it to. The FM radio was disappointing but have not preloaded the local stations here. I usually only listen to talk AM so FM is not that big of a deal to me.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
I found that sound in my helmet is MUCH better with wearing earplugs and turning the sound up to compensate. Much better bass comes through. Though still not anywhere near sitting at home would be, but that's to be expected on any bike system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.