CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use the Sena 50 R or S system with the CTX?
Does it connect easily?
Do you have to reconnect bike/helmet after fueling up?
I am considering the 50R, sometimes I use earbuds, they work "okay" but lost 2 sets due to my not paying attention.
Normally I ride with ear plugs and no communications or music but thought speakers installed in my helmet might be a good choice. I ride solo, so a lot of the 50 series features are not important to me. I just like music from the bike.

Thanks friends
Glen

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
Can't say much about the 50 R or S but...
I have used a Sena smh5fm unit since I bought my CTX1300. That unit has everything I need to simply listen to music, connect to my phone for emergency calls and turn by turn directions (Google Maps Navigation), listen to music or FM radio, and the occasional (for me) bike to bike communication. Once paired with the bike you should not ever need to re-pair. I never did, Every time I started up the bike it was automatically connected to my Sena. They all should work like that. It's how BT normally works.

I almost always use ear plugs to preserve what is left of my hearing. Wind and road noise alone is enough to damage hearing. I also listened to the FM radio in my Sena and had a SD card plugged into the USB connector in the right storage box to listen to music in my Sena. I found that the sound is much much better in my helmet and also with ear plugs and the volume turned up a little. I kept the bike sound volume turned up a bit and the bass came through with no issues for me. Even better than the speakers on the bike. It wasn't anything close to the sound from a top quality sound system in your home, but you're riding a bike so that won't be possible in spite of what anyone may say.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't say much about the 50 R or S but...
I have used a Sena smh5fm unit since I bought my CTX1300. That unit has everything I need to simply listen to music, connect to my phone for emergency calls and turn by turn directions (Google Maps Navigation), listen to music or FM radio, and the occasional (for me) bike to bike communication. Once paired with the bike you should not ever need to re-pair. I never did, Every time I started up the bike it was automatically connected to my Sena. They all should work like that. It's how BT normally works.

I almost always use ear plugs to preserve what is left of my hearing. Wind and road noise alone is enough to damage hearing. I also listened to the FM radio in my Sena and had a SD card plugged into the USB connector in the right storage box to listen to music in my Sena. I found that the sound is much much better in my helmet and also with ear plugs and the volume turned up a little. I kept the bike sound volume turned up a bit and the bass came through with no issues for me. Even better than the speakers on the bike. It wasn't anything close to the sound from a top quality sound system in your home, but you're riding a bike so that won't be possible in spite of what anyone may say.
Thanks Bob, I think I need to buy one :)

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I have the smh(I think)10. But since I ride the standard I Bluetooth the 432 songs on my iPhone to the helmet. I have used it to communicate. I know it will but I haven’t answered a incoming call.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the smh(I think)10. But since I ride the standard I Bluetooth the 432 songs on my iPhone to the helmet. I have used it to communicate. I know it will but I haven’t answered a incoming call.
Thank you

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Disappointing :(
I received my Sena 50R MESH intercom device and it worked just fine. BUT... It will not connect to my CTX.
Maybe I am missing something... I hope so. The Sena 50R unit connects with my laptop, ZUMO 395LM GPS and my iPhone 8. My CTX connects fine to older /cheaper earbuds. I erased the blue-tooth profiles on the CTX, still to no avail.
One thing Honda seems slow at is employing current technology. My 2014 Accord has a terrible GPS system, and difficulty connecting with my iPhone. According to P52 of the Op Man, "Some Bluetooth sound devices may not be compatible."
If anyone has ideas or knows of an upgrade, I would be interested.
G

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
Did you have a different headset connected at one time? If so then you already know the button combo to do it.
If not... make sure that you hold the Mode + UP volume buttons to turn on pairing for the headset.

Using the UP button or the DOWN button is very important when connecting and has caused a hangup for many members attempting to connect the BT. Up is for headsets and Down is for music devices like MP3 player or phone used as a music source.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you have a different headset connected at one time? If so then you already know the button combo to do it.
If not... make sure that you hold the Mode + UP volume buttons to turn on pairing for the headset.

Using the UP button or the DOWN button is very important when connecting and has caused a hangup for many members attempting to connect the BT. Up is for headsets and Down is for music devices like MP3 player or phone used as a music source.
Yep, thanks Bob I did up, down and sideways :) I emailed Sena for their opinion.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I had an older iPhone and had it set for automatic dowload/install of any new operating systems. It did as told but then wouldn’t connect Bluetooth with my car any more. It didn’t support it with the upgraded OS. And once you install it you can’t go back. iPhones way to sell new phones.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay CTX friends, got a response from Sena. The Sena 50R and 50S are not compatible with the Honda, CTX-1300 audio system :(
They said I had to buy a SM10 Bluetooth adapter to tie the bike to my 50R.
The 50R was $360 and the SM10 is an additional $180 (CDN)
I will post results on this site if I decide to spend another $200 for the SM10.

The positives are: The 50R will connect to smart phones and my Garmin GPS, Zumo 395LM ... I would expect the 50R will connect to newer than 395 Garmin units also.

I am still going to contact the Honda motorcycle factory in Japan to see if any kind of upgrade is available. Again, I will post results here.
Glen

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the response from Sena:
The Bluetooth capability of your CTX is limited to phone Bluetooth connectivity. In order to pair it with a Bluetooth headset, you need a Bluetooth adapter like the SM10.

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
That must be a limitation of that newer Sena (newer BT version). I didn't have that limitation with my older Sena and could connect the CTX to my headset just fine. But again, that is really more a limitation of the bike having one version with no way to update it while other new technology keeps moving on. Same problem as always with anything tech.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts