CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost four weeks ago, I took my machine to my local Honda dealer for fluids and new tires. And, like others on this forum, my engine did not return to a low idle when stopped.

Dealer installed some failing parts on the latter problem, [$100 stepper motor?] yet the problem persisted. [I don't have the details yet.] Service said the technician tried different solutions, finally calling Ma Honda for help. He lastly told me that he just ordered new valves for one cylinder. May finally be fixed this week.

Dealer never called me to ask permission to spend my money on significant repairs. Never called me at all, actually, nor returned my calls. My question: How much should I expect to pay for his time trying to figure out this problem? $85/hr can add up quickly. Should I only pay for the time for the actual repair, i.e. the solution?

This is the first significant problem I've had with this machine in five years and 49000 miles.

·
Registered
225 Posts
@bruceb When a new problem arises just after something has been done and that problem did not exist before the service (that is what I understand you to say), most of the time something ocurred during that service that caused the problem (DAMHIK- I have done it). I do not believe in coincidences until all other possibilities can be discarded. So, I suspect this may be a dealer caused problem if all was well when the bike went in. YMMV

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@bruceb When a new problem arises just after something has been done and that problem did not exist before the service (that is what I understand you to say), most of the time something ocurred during that service that caused the problem (DAMHIK- I have done it). I do not believe in coincidences until all other possibilities can be discarded. So, I suspect this may be a dealer caused problem if all was well when the bike went in. YMMV
Thanks for your quick feedback. My impression from my single brief conversation with the tech is that he found a problem that he fixed, but it did not change the idle. After much work and calls to Honda, he came up with the valve solution that hopefully will complete the repair. My frustration here may come from a buncha work and $$ to fix a minor problem [the high idle], with no attempt to ask me if I wanted to spend so much for fix it. I know I signed a standard work order to proceed with the work, but surely there is a limit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree with Airhead78. But knowing and dealing with repair shops and dealership on a weekly basis , I’m realizing that there is a lot of incompetent mechanics out there, especially in the dealerships representing the brand . Now days everything supposed to be diagnosed by the computer readout, but most of the time is “something else after We fixed what the computer said “. There is a lot of “chasing after the problem “ and “ lets try this and if it doesn’t work will try that”. And on the end guess who is stuck with the enormous repair bill( the customer). On top of it most of the time there is a follow up visit to the service department just to fine tune the “ solution for the problem “ and again guess who is paying for that( the customer). Now there is a competent qualified good mechanics out there but they are becoming extinct. In this case I would not be surprised if the repair bill is over $1000 , Also I had similar problem with the bike, what I did was run couple of bottles of Seafoam and the problem went away( my bike had less than 7000 miles on it). It’s been running fine since. Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm confused, was the high idle there BEFORE you took it in the shop for service? If so did you ask them to look at the issue? If you didn't and they tried to "fix" it I'd be a little pissed. If it went in fine and came out with the issue I'd be really pissed. Honestly I'm not sure I'd bring my bike in for anyone to service unless it was something I just couldn't handle. How can any bike tech know enough about all of the different bikes that Honda produces to be considered proficient on that particular bike? Add in we have what is essentially a one year only bike in the US that just didn't sell. I just don't see how any shop could have the skill set available to service one of these bikes.

If I had a problem with idle I'd go with the most simple problem first, lube the throttle cables and check for them being out of adjustment.

If you didn't authorize the additional work you may not be liable for the bill depending on the state you are in. I would definitely check into that.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm confused, was the high idle there BEFORE you took it in the shop for service? If so did you ask them to look at the issue? If you didn't and they tried to "fix" it I'd be a little pissed. If it went in fine and came out with the issue I'd be really pissed. Honestly I'm not sure I'd bring my bike in for anyone to service unless it was something I just couldn't handle. How can any bike tech know enough about all of the different bikes that Honda produces to be considered proficient on that particular bike? Add in we have what is essentially a one year only bike in the US that just didn't sell. I just don't see how any shop could have the skill set available to service one of these bikes.

If I had a problem with idle I'd go with the most simple problem first, lube the throttle cables and check for them being out of adjustment.

If you didn't authorize the additional work you may not be liable for the bill depending on the state you are in. I would definitely check into that.
Thanks. I asked them to fix the high idle. I had looked the posts about this problem and found nothing applicable. I started this thread to ask if I should pay for the research and parts that did not yield a result. Honda has manufactured this engine for 15 years, in the popular ST1300 as well as ours. I expected the Honda technician would have some familiarity with it. And I included it in this job because I wanted a new air filter, which necessitates removing more than the usual parts for service.

I have since posted a separate thread asking for advice on what the tech has told me.
Engine problem. Poor compression, burning oil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts