CTX 1300 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, I am a returning customer: bought before from the link above. Dude lives in Brooklyn, literally two blocks from me, ships a copy of OEM service manual via USPS.
Our friendly Mail Man folds package in two and forces it into mail box-permanently destroying service manual.
I contacted the dude with an idea of better packaging and perhaps an exchange...Got a polite NO in reply.
I'm just saying...

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,809 Posts
At least it's not really destroyed, just damaged goods. Our USPS service office locally has been scolded a lot in recent times for really bad service. Mail delivered to the wrong address or not delivered at all, etc. Now they are VERY cautious about deliveries and anything substantial that doesn't fit nicely in the box gets placed on my front stoop. Of course, magazines and such do still get folded.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Didn't carefully read prior posts....

Misrepresented as new, dealer/factory service shop manual.

"These are new, dealer/factory service/shop repair manuals just as the dealers have and use. NOT a CD manual and NOT derived from a CD manual! Why pay more?"

The binding on mine came off after opening the manual 3 times. He offered to send me new plastic strips.

The wiring diagram is not readable in this copy.

Is the wiring diagram in an actual OEM manual readable...without a magnifying glass?

Buyer beware....

·
Super Moderator
5,809 Posts
I have the official Helm service manual which Honda uses in their shops and many cage dealers also use (Helm Inc.) for their vehicles. The binding is properly glued like any well bound large paperback book would be with NO plastic strips. The manual has holes punched all the way through for placing in a ring binder, which is usually what the dealer shops do. Many of the illegal "copies" show white circles where the holes should be punched through but don't actually have the holes punched out (one of the first and easiest signs that they are an illegal copy and a clear indication that it is simply copied on a copy machine from one "master" official manual). The electrical diagram is very sharp and clear and very easy to read, although there is a lot of small detail in it I can still read fine without a magnifying glass (just the near vision part of my bifocal glasses). Sounds like you received a copy of the official manual sold at a drastic discount from the official publisher. I wouldn't be surprised if the title pages show that it is a Helm Inc. manual, but I doubt that copy was individually supplied by Helm.

The price of the official Helm manual cost a lot less when it was first put out, which is when I bought mine. Then the price doubled and the illegal suppliers flooded in at the former price point. I still won't buy a manual from any place other than Helm Inc. https://www.helminc.com

·
Registered
233 Posts
Service Manual Binder.

I have the official Helm service manual which Honda uses in their shops and many cage dealers also use (Helm Inc.) for their vehicles. The binding is properly glued like any well bound large paperback book would be with NO plastic strips. The manual has holes punched all the way through for placing in a ring binder, which is usually what the dealer shops do. Many of the illegal "copies" show white circles where the holes should be punched through but don't actually have the holes punched out (one of the first and easiest signs that they are an illegal copy and a clear indication that it is simply copied on a copy machine from one "master" official manual). The electrical diagram is very sharp and clear and very easy to read, although there is a lot of small detail in it I can still read fine without a magnifying glass (just the near vision part of my bifocal glasses). Sounds like you received a copy of the official manual sold at a drastic discount from the official publisher. I wouldn't be surprised if the title pages show that it is a Helm Inc. manual, but I doubt that copy was individually supplied by Helm.

The price of the official Helm manual cost a lot less when it was first put out, which is when I bought mine. Then the price doubled and the illegal suppliers flooded in at the former price point. I still won't buy a manual from any place other than Helm Inc. https://www.helminc.com
Thinking of getting an "authentic" service manual as described above with the punch holes. I have searched online for a ring binder with the holes pattern of the manual without luck. Anyone has found a binder that follows the 3-1-3 pattern of the manual?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,809 Posts
@Airhead78, Maybe a discount auto parts store? or NAPA? for that binder.
Most binders I've seen the shops use don't have rings for all the holes. Sometimes 3 rings. But sometimes 5. I guess maybe one I saw did have all 7 rings. But a large 3 ring should work.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts