CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know how the two would compare mileage-wise? Gonna need to pull my Commander II off at some point, but given that some of the Shinkos don’t get many miles, am worried that if I replace it here shortly then I may be getting myself in trouble for the 3,500+ miles I’ll put on it to get to Fancy Gap and back. Don’t wanna have to replace a tire on the way back!!!

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Search for "Shinko 009 Raven"
Little hourglass in the upper right corner of the screen. Lots of posts.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
485 Posts
Yeah, from my experience... they wear about the same. I prefer the Shinko 009 as it handles better on wet roads and grips the road excently. The cost is a lot less too!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put Shinko's on all my bikes I love them each model gets a little different millage. I got 11000 mi out of the 009 ravens I am going to put on the 005 this Friday and see how it does. I have the blue ctx and put 15- 20,000 miles each year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put Shinko's on all my bikes I love them each model gets a little different millage. I got 11000 mi out of the 009 ravens I am going to put on the 005 this Friday and see how it does. I have the blue ctx and put 15- 20,000 miles each year.
The 11,000 is on the rear with still lots of tread left on the front the best I have ever done was 25,000 on the rear on my '85 nighthawk 700

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anybody know how the two would compare mileage-wise? Gonna need to pull my Commander II off at some point, but given that some of the Shinkos don’t get many miles, am worried that if I replace it here shortly then I may be getting myself in trouble for the 3,500+ miles I’ll put on it to get to Fancy Gap and back. Don’t wanna have to replace a tire on the way back!!!
I ride hard and corner fast, and absolutely LOVE how the Michelin Commander 2 handles, but it only lasted just under 6400 miles and I had it in the cords. I’m astounded every time I see reports of 12,000 - 20,000 miles on a rear tire, that has NEVER happened for me. I just picked up a Michelin Commander 3 to replace the Commander 2. I would love to hear from others as to what their favorite high mileage tire has been and how it handled.

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
Seeing as those cords appear to be on the left side of the tire just off the harder center rubber I'd say that shows that riding hard and cornering fast is what wears out your tires. Your cords are showing on the soft rubber bit. As said in many posts elsewhere on many forums, how hard you ride as well as the road surfaces where you ride and a bunch of other factors determine how many miles you'll get from a tire. I ride very conservatively and most roads around here are concrete so my tires usually last longer than the average. I know some riders who wear out some of the same brands/models of tire as I've used, on the same model bike, in half the miles you mentioned. Of course they ride mostly chip/seal type roads which eat tire rubber for breakfast. I was riding on a tire that should have gone several thousand miles past a trip to OK, but after riding around that state and especially on the Talimena Skyway (which was being resurfaced at the time and had a lot of chip/seal surface) I needed to replace it right after that trip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts