CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a standard model with 5500 miles in perfect condition. The guy will take $7K. Only option is the tall screen. He has all service records. Garaged and never in the rain. The pictures look like it's new. I've had many, many, many bikes and I'm trying to settle down on one I will keep for a few years. I just sold my 2022 GSXS1000 GT+. Only had it for 1500 miles and decided it was just too aggressive for me. Great bike, but I'm 75 and my crouch rocket days are over. It was an impulse buy.

I'm now trying to decide between a Tiger 900GT/Vstrom 1050 and this CTX. I still prefer bikes that can handle well and have strong engines. I keep looking at those long handlebars on the CTX and wonder if it's going to feel like a pig in the twisties? On the other hand, I feel like I should be settling down with a more age-appropriate bike.

What should I do?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I ride a standard red i purchased with 16k and mechanically barely broken in good. It had top box, stereo, iso grips and cruise lock, a custom rebuilt seat, extra ctx700 mirrors, fairly new rear tire and fair front. I couple minor blemishes from tip over or parking lot maneuver. I paid less than that a year ago

I wanted red and fly to buy. Seems like some fully loaded deluxe models with more miles have been selling close to your price point but the extras oem might not mean much to you.

Sounds like a fair deal if you want to buy it if it has newer tires. If you have to buy a new set I'd price that in. Other than fuild change not much more to do at that mileage.

Never rode your other choices but a little different riding style and capabilities with those. I find the bike is comfortable to ride and handles more cruiser than sport tour or adventure so you make like the posture.
With properly fitted you shouldn't have any problem with 500+ mile day.

FYI standards with no options were sold new at around that price in 2018-2019 when honda cleared the warehouse. Some paid more and early adopters paid a lot more.

What part of the country are you in?

I would be sure to check face marketplace. I see them selling regularly

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I don't have the riding experience that it seems that you do. However I can say that at last year's meetup there were riders who are far better than I and they rave about the CTX in the Twisties. I'll let them chime in...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ride a standard red i purchased with 16k and mechanically barely broken in good. It had top box, stereo, iso grips and cruise lock, a custom rebuilt seat, extra ctx700 mirrors, fairly new rear tire and fair front. I couple minor blemishes from tip over or parking lot maneuver. I paid less than that a year ago

I wanted red and fly to buy. Seems like some fully loaded deluxe models with more miles have been selling close to your price point but the extras oem might not mean much to you.

Sounds like a fair deal if you want to buy it if it has newer tires. If you have to buy a new set I'd price that in. Other than fuild change not much more to do at that mileage.

Never rode your other choices but a little different riding style and capabilities with those. I find the bike is comfortable to ride and handles more cruiser than sport tour or adventure so you make like the posture.
With properly fitted you shouldn't have any problem with 500+ mile day.

FYI standards with no options were sold new at around that price in 2018-2019 when honda cleared the warehouse. Some paid more and early adopters paid a lot more.

What part of the country are you in?

I would be sure to check face marketplace. I see them selling regularly
I'm in Virginia. The bike is in PA, about 150 miles away. I think you are telling my I'm paying too much.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
It's great in the twisties. A rider approached me when he saw me ride into a parking lot. He was curious what it was because it handles like a sport bike. That's what got his attention.

I paid 7000 for a new standard CTX and every time I look for another the used ones were going for 7000 and up. I felt lucky to get that price and it came with the short windshield. 7000 seems good to me, unless you can haggle a little for a better deal.

(Edit) As far as wanting to "settle down", the CTX is probably a good idea. As @Robertmerz19 says, it's a swiss army knife. Great for touring, handles a little like a sport bike and works nice as a cruiser.
In fact, a lot of the reviews I read over four years ago have sort of the same impression. One guy was frustrated because he couldn't decide on just one style of bike to describe it.
And for something you would keep a few years. My personal feeling about the CTX is there's nothing else I'd switch to, because I'm like @Robertmerz19 . It's a great all around machine. I ride it every day, local and long distance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's great in the twisties. A rider approached me when he saw me ride into a parking lot. He was curious what it was because it handles like a sport bike. That's what got his attention.

I paid 7000 for a new standard CTX and every time I look for another the used ones were going for 7000 and up. I felt lucky to get that price and it came with the short windshield. 7000 seems good to me, unless you can haggle a little for a better deal.

(Edit) As far as wanting to "settle down", the CTX is probably a good idea. As @Robertmerz19 says, it's a swiss army knife. Great for touring, handles a little like a sport bike and works nice as a cruiser.
In fact, a lot of the reviews I read over four years ago have sort of the same impression. One guy was frustrated because he couldn't decide on just one style of bike to describe it.
And for something you would keep a few years. My personal feeling about the CTX is there's nothing else I'd switch to, because I'm like @Robertmerz19 . It's a great all around machine. I ride it every day, local and long dista
Thanks. Nice to hear. I am also a daily rider. Whatever motorcycle I have is used for daily transportation. The only time I use my truck is when a motorcycle just won't do the job, like a trip to Home Depot to pick up lumber. Otherwise, it's amazing what you can carry on a motorcycle with a little patience, creativity, and determination.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Thanks. Nice to hear. I am also a daily rider. Whatever motorcycle I have is used for daily transportation. The only time I use my truck is when a motorcycle just won't do the job, like a trip to Home Depot to pick up lumber. Otherwise, it's amazing what you can carry on a motorcycle with a little patience, creativity, and determination.
I have the same attitude. Bike is always the first choice unless it just doesn't fit the job. I have a trailer hitch, so if I need to grocery shop and such, hook up the trailer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Its an amazing amount of stuff you can pack with the top box and a bag on the seat behind you.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,067 Posts
Also ride my bike over any other vehicle unless 2 wheels just won't do. My bike is my truck/sedan/sports bike/cruiser/tourer/commuter. When I was working I was either riding the bike or taking the bus to work (bus stops just up the block from my home and across the street from my work). Now that I'm retired I obviously don't commute, but I do still ride all those other types of riding. When I bought my ST1100 I started riding with the sport touring group and they were serious about riding aggressively on curvy roads. I kept up with them. I didn't change anything when I bought my CTX1300 and still kept up with them. Never had a more comfy stock seat than on the CTX1300. Those wide set bars did't detract at all from riding aggressively. After a while I didn't even notice.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I ride a lot in the twisties. The CTX is more than adequate, but it's not a purpose-build canyon carver. The only area where it is weak is rapidly descending a steep, twisty mountain road. The off/on throttle response is a bit rough in that situation. I can roll through a corner with the throttle closed without grabbing the clutch. Then when I get on the gas, it's hard to keep the bike from lurching forward. I don't have this problem going uphill. I end up having to slip the clutch coming out of the downhill corners.

The CTX is the best highway bike I've ever owned. I like it better than any of the Gold Wings, Harleys, etc. that I've owned. It handles crosswinds and the vortexes around trucks better than anything I've ever ridden.

Don't worry too much about the price. I paid list price for my first CTX1300 in March of 2014 and I paid within $1000 of list price on my second one in July of 2014. They have proven themselves to be a bargain. Life is short. Don't miss out on the good stuff for fear of spending a few dollars too much.

·
Registered
143 Posts
well...guess I should add my 2 cents....lol
I have had bikes all my life. raced motocross and hare scrambles in my youth.
My 1st street riding was on a Hodaka Super Rat 125 road trail, and progressed up to a Suzuki Dr 250. my 1st true street bike was a Yamaha 650 special.
While I am MUCH older now, have run the gamete of different styles.
The CTX handles better than your average cruiser, but is not the ST that was it's lineage. That being said, it handles very nicely in the twisties. As a Western PA guy, it is quite curvy here, and if anything, I find I may be pressing my luck by driving too fast into them, but so far it's been a joyous cruise!!!
As I was quoted, it is a swiss army knife of a bike. Great for touring, but a great local commuter, and sporty enough to keep that desire in check.
IF you are near Virginia, there was one listed in Purceville VA (I'm possitive I spelled that wrong) that was pretty nice Deluxe model. check Cycletrader.com
it was on there. I got mine in Florida, after riding it, I had to have it!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well...guess I should add my 2 cents....lol
I have had bikes all my life. raced motocross and hare scrambles in my youth.
My 1st street riding was on a Hodaka Super Rat 125 road trail, and progressed up to a Suzuki Dr 250. my 1st true street bike was a Yamaha 650 special.
While I am MUCH older now, have run the gamete of different styles.
The CTX handles better than your average cruiser, but is not the ST that was it's lineage. That being said, it handles very nicely in the twisties. As a Western PA guy, it is quite curvy here, and if anything, I find I may be pressing my luck by driving too fast into them, but so far it's been a joyous cruise!!!
As I was quoted, it is a swiss army knife of a bike. Great for touring, but a great local commuter, and sporty enough to keep that desire in check.
IF you are near Virginia, there was one listed in Purceville VA (I'm possitive I spelled that wrong) that was pretty nice Deluxe model. check Cycletrader.com
it was on there. I got mine in Florida, after riding it, I had to have it!!!!
Thanks very much for the input. I appreciate it very much. I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure how to check messages. Special thanks to George for offering an opportunity to see his CTX in person. I just finished doing volunteer work today and got a little too much sun, otherwise I would be trying to contact George to make arrangements to see his bike. I also have an appointment to see the CTX at Pete's Cycle tomorrow morning. I'll check Cycle Trader on the Purcellville (looked it up) bike. Nice to see so much enthusiasm about the CTX. Maybe it's a sign....

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
I've ridden mine for over seven years now. If I crashed it tomorrow, more likely than if it failed without my help, I'd buy another.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks very much for the input. I appreciate it very much. I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure how to check messages. Special thanks to George for offering an opportunity to see his CTX in person. I just finished doing volunteer work today and got a little too much sun, otherwise I would be trying to contact George to make arrangements to see his bike. I also have an appointment to see the CTX at Pete's Cycle tomorrow morning. I'll check Cycle Trader on the Purcellville (looked it up) bike. Nice to see so much enthusiasm about the CTX. Maybe it's a sign....
Not sure how far you are from Pittsburgh, but you are more than welcome to take mine for a spin....

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I bought mine three years ago. So far I’ve put about 20,000 miles on it. It had 5,000 on it when I bought it. It was like new then, and to be honest with close to 25,000 on it now it still seems like new. If you’re really fast in the twisties, the CTX will not be as fast as the other bikes you’re considering. It’s just because I think those other bikes will have better lean angles. I scrape my pegs easier on the CTX than on my BMW GS, before I sold the GS.
So far I really like the CTX. It is a great value at $7,000. I think pricing bottomed out three years ago, and has come back up recently. It’s a great bike at $7000 compared to others.
I like shaft drive as far as maintenance is concerned. My other bike is a Yamaha Tenere 700, and it seems like I am always checking the chain tension and cleaning lubing it.
Ive now done two 5,000 mile trips on it, plus several smaller trips. Great touring bike, not as capable as a goldwing as far as carrying gear, but close. I strap on a tank bag, and that helps.
If not much has been done to the one you’re looking at, you’ll want a center stand, and at least a rear rack. I also added highway pegs, and a windshield spoiler, Corbin seat, anti vibration risers, grip puppies, additional mirrors, and a throttle lock.
I have to admit, I like the ABS. You might want to look and see if a Deluxe is available at around the same price.
sorry for the long post. Too much coffee this morning. Ha!

·
Registered
CTX 1300D
42 Posts
I'm looking at a standard model with 5500 miles in perfect condition. The guy will take $7K. Only option is the tall screen. He has all service records. Garaged and never in the rain. The pictures look like it's new. I've had many, many, many bikes and I'm trying to settle down on one I will keep for a few years. I just sold my 2022 GSXS1000 GT+. Only had it for 1500 miles and decided it was just too aggressive for me. Great bike, but I'm 75 and my crouch rocket days are over. It was an impulse buy.

I'm now trying to decide between a Tiger 900GT/Vstrom 1050 and this CTX. I still prefer bikes that can handle well and have strong engines. I keep looking at those long handlebars on the CTX and wonder if it's going to feel like a pig in the twisties? On the other hand, I feel like I should be settling down with a more age-appropriate bike.

What should I do?
My only advice would be to check out the differences between the standard and the deluxe. You might want the extras on the "D". As far as the twisties, you have to watch how far you lean it over because you will drag a foot peg now and then, but overall, it handles nicely with the wide tires on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts