CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't judge me but I need some advise.

New owner since October. First bike in 30 years and first cruiser. Love it --> no complaints --> perfect bike for me after mucho research. Many of y'all helped get me off the fence last fall. Cee Bailey x-tall shield and 2" Rox risers have rounded out my comfort.

Anyways, here is my silly question --> how is the best way to get bug residue off the exhaust headers? After several extended weekend rides in springtime Texas, I have much burned on bugs on the headers. Normal soap/water/windex has not solved the majority of the problem. Is there some trick to it or do I just need to use a little more 'elbow grease'?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Soak the bug spots with a very wet cloth for a while first to soften what can be softened. Then dab some aluminum foil (kitchen variety) in water and scrub. Works magic. I got this tip from a HD forum (where else to get good advice for cleaning and polishing chrome). I wasn't sure at first but tried it and the chrome polishes right up and all the road grunge cleans right off. No, it won't scratch the chrome since aluminum is softer. And I like the cost (almost nothing). The little bit of water works with the scrubbing and aluminum to make a paste that polishes too. It's a grey paste that then will wipe right off with Honda spray cleaner or even just a soft cloth and water. I just need to do it more often to keep the pipes looking nice. The bane of owning a bike with chrome pipes.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
That's a good one Bob. I haven't heard of that before.
I just spray my Lemon Pledge on, walk off or do something else for 5 minutes.
Come back and use my old socks to scrub. Since the socks have ridges, the bugs go right in them.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
That's a good one Bob. I haven't heard of that before.
I just spray my Lemon Pledge on, walk off or do something else for 5 minutes.
Come back and use my old socks to scrub. Since the socks have ridges, the bugs go right in them.
This explains why the inside of your boots look so dirty....

Reactions: kniterider and bob

·
Registered
81 Posts
Has anybody tried WD40? It's what I use when I need to scrape the sticky backing left from registration stickers on my pickup windshield & bugs from the front end of my pickup. Obviously, one would need to follow up with soap & water to get the residuals off..

·
Registered
39 Posts
I really wanted to start a new thread.
But in the plight of this forum, I can not find where to start one
And on that note, here goes
Spring is coming up very soon here in Edmonton, and upon changing the brake pads for a new year, I will be commencing my riding yet again
My question, is there anything that brings back the sheer luster of the chrome?
My pipes have become a tad tarnished over the winter months

Thank you in advance
Darrell

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I really wanted to start a new thread.
But in the plight of this forum, I can not find where to start one
And on that note, here goes
Spring is coming up very soon here in Edmonton, and upon changing the brake pads for a new year, I will be commencing my riding yet again
My question, is there anything that brings back the sheer luster of the chrome?
My pipes have become a tad tarnished over the winter months

Thank you in advance
Darrell
Did a search on "cleaning chrome" and came up with many threads/posts on it in the forum including this one. Moved your post here since it is on the same subject.

See my post 3 above and also photos attached here. Last year sometime early June I had let my pipes go uncleaned all winter season and they were really bad. I sat down and cleaned the pipes and muffler using the aluminum foil method I mention above... a bit of foil dipped in water and simply rub, then rinse off and then used Honda spray cleaner to polish. The photos show the result. Took about 10 minutes on each side for this result.

These pipes had 3 years of road behind them. After the shiny pipe photo I did clean the rest of the bike. :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
The aluminum foil trick works great but doesn't do anything to protect the pipes. The best product I've ever used is Speedy All Metal Polish, makes future bugs easier to remove and is easy to apply. It's thin and watery and doesn't seem like it should work, but it is amazing on aluminum, brass, stainless, chrome, etc.
On a side note boot soles, rain gear etc. baked onto pipes lifts right off after spraying it with EZ Off COLD oven cleaner and letting it sit a few minutes. Just be sure not to spray it on anything but the pipes, it doesn't react well with plastic,paint, aluminum or electrical components.

https://www.ebay.com/i/232657992984?chn=ps&dispItem=1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts