CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 3-4 weeks I have entertained the idea of baying a small ADV bike to add the fleet. Mainly I want a bike that’s is very good on the road and have some off road capabilities ( nothing extreme). My budget is around $6000. I have narrowed down the choice between the BMW G 310gs, Honda CRF 250 Rally and Kawasaki Versus 300X. I test rode the BMW , I was little bit cramped, but with bar risers I think I will be ok. The Honda and Kawasaki I had a chance to sit on them and I was quite comfortable on them. I have watched all kinds of YouTube videos, read through many many articles and reviews, to the point that now I’m more confused than anything.
Price vise The 2018 BMW and the 2018 Honda are around $5800 to $5900 out the door, and for the Kawasaki Versus , the 2017 New model is available for around $4500.
Now the question is , Do any of you have experience with any of This bikes? and what you think of them? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Find ya a fat tired Yamaha TW200. They are a blast to run down a dirt road, pretty much indestructible as we used the in training classes where they were flat out abused. Small enough to pick up when ya drop em. And cheap to boot. Only down side is top speed on the highway but there is a large following much like this forum where you can see what people have done to make them personal for them.
Try one if ya can.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Price wise and capabilities....
I would suggest a Royal Enfield Himalayan. $5K, has plenty of torque, room for luggage and accessories makes this a no brainer, given your specifications. This is what I did and love this bike as my first adventure bike.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
For the last 3-4 weeks I have entertained the idea of baying a small ADV bike to add the fleet. Mainly I want a bike that’s is very good on the road and have some off road capabilities ( nothing extreme). My budget is around $6000. I have narrowed down the choice between the BMW G 310gs, Honda CRF 250 Rally and Kawasaki Versus 300X. I test rode the BMW , I was little bit cramped, but with bar risers I think I will be ok. The Honda and Kawasaki I had a chance to sit on them and I was quite comfortable on them. I have watched all kinds of YouTube videos, read through many many articles and reviews, to the point that now I’m more confused than anything.
Price vise The 2018 BMW and the 2018 Honda are around $5800 to $5900 out the door, and for the Kawasaki Versus , the 2017 New model is available for around $4500.
Now the question is , Do any of you have experience with any of This bikes? and what you think of them? Thanks.
I bought an MT-250 Honda when I was a junior in high school 40+ years ago. And I recently sat on the CRF 250. Boy howdy did that ever bring back some memories. It felt a lot like my beloved old 2 stroke though a bit heavier. And unlike its siblings the VFR1200X and Africa Twin I didn't need a step ladder to get on. I understand it will cruise at 70 with no trouble if need be and does pretty well off road. I'd love to have a bike I could hop curbs and ride up and down stairs again. Though it would probably be my downfall in the end. :smileygarden_de_ban

Attachments

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
63DA3CF4-B59F-48B8-B25E-2E5CBFB41377.jpeg
33F94E4D-0FB3-4C86-81C3-B4242D987B55.jpeg
E9B18D34-F5C8-4B47-93D9-043E8172519A.jpeg
A0E472B7-1DA4-4DAF-9A47-F11B2686F563.jpeg
I’m Reviving old tread because, This past Saturday I finally picked up a new 2019 BMW g310gs. Got it from BMW Richfield MN dealership. Rode it down South from Minnesota to Illinois, did most of the ride on back roads, but the last 100 miles was on the interstate. Bike performed good, I didn’t push it at all, mainly speeds up to 60 miles for the first 350 miles and up to 65 for the last 100 miles. Felt comfortable on the bike, but definitely will need a Windshield, bar risers and a rear brake pedal enlargement adapter( $10 from eBay). Tested 4-5 different bikes and on the end BMW had a deal on it $1750 off retail price, out the door for $4640 plus I have do tax and plates in Illinois that should be around $700 on top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts