CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... maybe for the last time.

Things I'm gonna miss:

- That big twin rumble. The 'Bird's 1600 cc parallel twin has a rumble that is like listening to a fine baritone singer. It is such a pleasing note that you really have to hear to understand and appreciate. Until you whack it, that is, and then it turns into a lovely roar. And Triumph managed to do it without rattling your vital organs, unlike some other big twin configurations. Definitely gonna miss that noise.

- Instant punch. The CTX1300 seems to be nice off the line, but I'm not sure if the 1300 will or even can have the same instant snap that a big twin has, especially a big twin that's been tuned for more low-end torque. We'll certainly find out soon enough, but I don't think the difference is going to be too terribly dramatic.

Things I'm not gonna miss:

- The seat. Even the factory touring seat that I dumped a bundle on after purchasing the bike is nowhere near as comfy as the stock seat on the CTX1300.

- The riding position. There' a reach to the bars on the 'Bird that I've never been 100% ecstatic about, and to change it significantly to where I'd be most comfortable would require changing out cables and hoses, which I have neither the time, money, patience nor desire to do or have done. And, I may finally be getting to the point where I'm all set with feet way forward. I've always liked it, but that test drive yesterday was so much more relaxing.

- Cable clutch. Yeah yeah, people say there should be no difference, but there is. Not quite as smooth, or something. Gonna be glad to have a hydro clutch again.

Other comparisons:

- The bars on the 'Bird are definitely lower than on the CTX I rode (which I greatly prefer), but that should be able to be corrected. The bars on the bird I think are wider than on the CTX, too (which I don't prefer). So everybody who thinks the bars on the CTX are wide, I'd guess they're coming from a sport or sport touring bike where the grips are typically closer together. I am not a fan of wide-a$$ beach bars (and I absolutely HATE apes, but that's for another thread), so I'm pretty happy with the width of the CTX's bars.

All in all, I think I'll be a little sorry to see the Thunderbird go, because it is a bike I thought I wanted pretty badly from the first time I saw it, which was a few years before I actually got it. And while it is a very nice machine and a great looker, it isn't all that different from the VTX1800 I had a short time before. I have this terrible compulsion to just get something new and different after awhile, so I'm hoping to God the CTX isn't another case of the same thing. I kinda don't think it will be, because it's different from just about anything else out there, and it's basically the machine I've been saying I would have built myself if I could.

Hurry up, damm delivery truck.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Dave, wasn't my intention!

One of the reasons I wanted the 'Bird is because it's kind of the un-Harley. Whereas the CTX is almost the anti-Harley. Although I guess an argument can be made that BMW is more the anti-Harley; but since I don't care much for most BMW's, the CTX is as anti-Harley as I'm gonna get. ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ed!! Have you seen Triumph's new LT 1700 Cruiser?? Just for sh*** and giggles,check it out on line and let me know what ya think.OK?? Dave!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, seen it. I would really like to have looked into swapping those bars onto mine, but I'm pretty sure it would need longer cables, hoses, etc. Nice change, though, kind of a standard model to the original's custom look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I originally joined here because I was looking at getting something different and the CTX caught my interest. When I went to the local Honda/Triumph dealer here they didnt have a CTX in stock yet......but they did have a Triumph Rocket 3 Tourer. I was hooked as it met my criteria for being different. I did not get it new but instead found an immaculate 08 up in Mass with only 14k on the clock. Wish the CTX would have worked out but the R3 is a beast. I looked at the Thunderbird but being a big guy it wasnt comfy for me. The Rocket fit me nice. I added a Utopia back rest and risers and all is well.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well congrats on the new purchase. ;) That's definitely a 'big guy' bike. :)
If you found the T-bird too cramped, you probably would have found the CTX1300 to be the same also. I'm kind of average size (5'9", 180 lbs), and I'm pretty much equally comfortable on both. The Rocket, like the Gold Wing in all its iterations, is just a bit more bike than I'm comfortable with.

Enjoy and ride safe!

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW ... I said way back then that I thought I might miss the instant punch of the big twin. I'm thinking now that I don't. :D

Taking nothing away from the Thunderbird -- it's a great bike; even the name alone just kind of evokes a certain kind of respect that few others do, and the bike does live up to it. But so far this CTX is everything I'd hoped it would be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The CTX sure is a good looking bike but the leg position for me would have been a killer. The Rocket is something else though and its not part of the "herd".

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the CTX1300 is certainly no Rocket III (but then no other bike really is). But I can tell you for sure it isn't a slouch, either. I got a chance to lean on it kinda hard a few times today, both on the wick and around some bendies, chasing my buddy around on his Valkyrie. This bike can move, and it can eat up corners like nothing I've ridden since the ST. And I still haven't scraped a peg yet, and today it sure wasn't for lack of trying. I am quite pleased. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I traded my Thunderbird Storm in for the CTX. The Thunderbird was a great bike, crazy torque, handled great for a cruiser, and my Storm model, in flat black, would always get a lot of attention everywhere I went. When I did a 3000 mile road trip on it, though, I realized I need something different. It is a great bike but the CTX fits my needs better.

Getting the Thunderbird serviced was also way too expensive, probably five times as much is the CTX. And it seemed like I needed to get new tires every time I got it serviced. I'm hoping I can get a little more mileage out of the CTX tires. We shall see.

Reactions: sleepngbear

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I traded my Thunderbird Storm in for the CTX. The Thunderbird was a great bike, crazy torque, handled great for a cruiser, and my Storm model, in flat black, would always get a lot of attention everywhere I went. When I did a 3000 mile road trip on it, though, I realized I need something different. It is a great bike but the CTX fits my needs better.

Getting the Thunderbird serviced was also way too expensive, probably five times as much is the CTX. And it seemed like I needed to get new tires every time I got it serviced. I'm hoping I can get a little more mileage out of the CTX tires. We shall see.
Agreed on all points, especially the servicing. $240 for the first service, which was basically an oil change. $600-$800 for the 12,000 mile valve adjustment. Just a little ridiculous, and part of the reason (stupid reason, yes, I know) why I was never compelled to pile up the miles on it like every Honda I'd owned before (and now since).

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I did a 3000 mile road trip on it, though, I realized I need something different.
What was your issue with the Thunderbird for road trips? Just curious, because I was all hot for the bike earlier this year and long road trips was one of the intended uses.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't want to make it sound like it was an awful road trip bike, because it really was a comfortable bike for long rides, but here are the things that made me want to get something different.

No windscreen. I bought a Dart windscreen for it toward the end but always thought it ruined the look of the bike.

No lockable storage. I bought the Triumph leather bags for it, which were nice and held a lot, but when there was too much weight in them they would get too close to the tail pipes and their plastic bottoms had started to melt. Not a lot of weight either, maybe 15 lbs each.

This one is a little subjective, but the throttle seemed to require more effort than previous bikes I had and my wrist would really hurt after a long ride. I experimented with various cramp-buster type products, but was never really satisfied. I had replaced the original grips with the heated ones, but don't think that would have made a difference.

Lastly, it is an expensive bike to put a lot of miles on in terms of tires and service.

All that being said, I am sure it will always be one of my favorite bikes. It had a ton of character and that shoulder-dislocating torque always put a smile on my face.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have broken all the barriers you mentioned with my Tbird which now has 75,000 showin on the clock with NO break downs.Mine is the SE model which comes with a decent sized [switch blade]windscreen,touring seat,luggage rack with a passenger's back rest,saddle bags,and Triumph's touring seat.I also installed Triumph's rider's back rest for me which is actually pretty comfortable.I've also solved the short tire life problem too,running Dunlop's American Elite II on the rear [12,000 plus miles] and Avon's Cobra on the front [15,000 miles so far and STILL going with plenty of tread left].PLUS,I do ALL my own work.But what has really turned me off to the Triumph is that stupid belt as it's always goin out of adjustment or makin all kinds of chirping noises.And even though I have a handle on it now,I will NEVER own another belt drive machine again.And "THAT" is what brought me into looking at the CTX and this site. Dave!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well all the while you're barkin about that belt you could be riding a beautiful V-4 shaft-driven CTX1300. We've done our part to try to convince you, so you get no sympathy from us. You've got no one to blame for that chirping dirt collecting always going out of adjustment belt but yourself.
:rotfl9:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I agree Ed! But after looking at and finally getting to sit on one,I discovered that I couldn't get my boot comfortably under the shifter which I think was previously mentioned.So that,plus that tiny windscreen has kinda turned me off to it.But I've also noticed that one of the cycle magazines is comparing the CTX to the California Tourer because they are very similar.So I looked at and test rode three of em,and none of em ran well at all.So if that's the case,I don't want one of them either.But I have one more dealer to visit to see if their's runs any better.In the meantime, I'll stay with the Bird until I find somethin I like which still could be a CTX if I can find some floor boards for it.So we'll have to wait and see.I won't rush into anything because more then likely,this WILL probably be my last bike.Ya see,I'm only gonna be 25 on my next birthday! lol lol Dave!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
So i am thinking od making thw switch from a T-Bird to the CTX, I see there are a few that have done so... great research for me
1.) How much cheaper is the service (ing)
2.) Can you put a different tune in to get more from the engine
3.) Twisties- Better then a T Bird
4.) Differnt radios available (or in the near future)
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,470 Posts
So i am thinking od making thw switch from a T-Bird to the CTX, I see there are a few that have done so... great research for me
Thanks
Welcome to the forum!

Just some thoughts on this:
1.) It's a Honda. Known for reliability (i've had HD, Kaw, Suz, Honda - best have been the Hondas). Engine and drive train mostly from a proven platform (ST1300) and shown to be basically bullet proof. Less maintenance = less cost of maintenance. Don't know how the service costs for what does need doing at the dealer stacks up between these 2 brands, but less maintenance in my experience goes a long way. I do most of my own but will take to the dealer for what needs specialized tools. Some here have the dealer do all maintenance but I couldn't afford to have any bike if I did that.
2.) The CTX1300 engine has a lot more than you realize, actual numbers/specs are deceptive. But don't know if there will be different tuning kits in the aftermarket. Wouldn't be surprised though.
3.) No experience with the T Bird but there are many here who can answer this one.
4.) The audio system in the CTX1300 Deluxe does not include a radio. It is a USB or BT connection with some controls for an audio device you provide. So technically if there is a different radio/music device available than what you have, then yes. You can choose at any time what radio/music device you connect and can upgrade or replace that at will.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks
1. Of course service rates vary from one dealer to another, but I found the servicing on the Triumph to be much higher than anything else I've ever owned (which admittedly has been all Honda's). First service on the CTX as I recall was around $90, which included oil change, fluid check, and checking the torque on important bolts. Compared to $240 for the Bird's first visit.

2. So far I haven't seen anything in the way of tunes for this bike or the ST1300 (though there may be something for the latter). I believe there may be a fuel manager option for the ST -- I've seen mention of them, but I haven't seen one specifically myself.

3. The Thunderbird wasn't a bad handling bike for a big cruiser. I found it similar, maybe marginally better than the VTX1800. I find the CTX1300 to handle significantly better than both. It feels lighter and more responsive, with a good bit more lean than the Bird. I'd place it about right in between a good handling cruiser and a sport tourer.

4. First thing to clear up -- the sound package on the CTX is not a radio. It will connect to another sound source via blue tooth and USB only, but it has no internal sound source of its own. I don't have the Deluxe model myself, but I do know that the sound system can be added to a standard model after purchase, so I would think there would be some other after-market options possible at some point. But right now I'm not aware of any.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts