CTX 1300 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very interested. Have yet to have the opportunity to ride with other CTXers. Planning on long delayed western trip next year and this would work perfectly for my proposed route. Perhaps I could join up with other riders along the route from North Carolina ? ... Will look forward to updates.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It looks like there is interest in a southwest meetup! So far I count about 10 of us that indicated some interest (plus a couple more that would like to but not feasible for them). You know, I threw this meetup out there because we had recent members join the forum from the Phoenix area, I think 4 now, and thought there would be some excitement from you guys being in your backyard, but not a peep from any of you. Come on AZ folks! 🙌 Although not everyone will confirm in the end, there will be others and we have enough to get me excited and start setting it up!

I am leaning on basing in Cortez Co and doing alpine (Million $ hwy) one day and desert (monument valley) one day. Cortez seems to have plenty of budget motels and a couple decent eating places. If anyone has other route or basing location ideas, please post away. I like Durango, but cant figure out 2 reasonable loops out of there. I cant do late May anymore, so I would like to propose June 3-5 (preferred) or June 10-12. Everybody please let me know your interest status and which of these dates are good for you.

Lets do this!

·
Registered
2014 Red CTX1300 Deluxe
8 Posts
It looks like there is interest in a southwest meetup! So far I count about 10 of us that indicated some interest (plus a couple more that would like to but not feasible for them). You know, I threw this meetup out there because we had recent members join the forum from the Phoenix area, I think 4 now, and thought there would be some excitement from you guys being in your backyard, but not a peep from any of you. Come on AZ folks! 🙌 Although not everyone will confirm in the end, there will be others and we have enough to get me excited and start setting it up!

I am leaning on basing in Cortez Co and doing alpine (Million $ hwy) one day and desert (monument valley) one day. Cortez seems to have plenty of budget motels and a couple decent eating places. If anyone has other route or basing location ideas, please post away. I like Durango, but cant figure out 2 reasonable loops out of there. I cant do late May anymore, so I would like to propose June 3-5 (preferred) or June 10-12. Everybody please let me know your interest status and which of these dates are good for you.

Lets do thi
I can make any date work. Thanks for doing this!

·
Registered
228 Posts
We ride a lot of Colorado and New Mexico, beautiful curved roads with lots of elevation changes, even Pikes Peak! Also every Memorial weekend they have a Rally in Red River New Mexico that is fun also beautiful to ride too!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I live in SW Kansas, My favorite ride is starting at Breckenridge Co. Taking I 70 to Grand Junction, then Highway 50 back to Kansas. It is a 709 mile loop. Map World Line Parallel Atlas

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is gonna be a long post. Well.... without knowing what kind of mileage y'all (as a group) consider a 'reasonable' day's ride (for me it's ~350 mi) and, wanting to include day rides that were mostly under 300 miles, I did some work and came up with some awesome rides. I've been on most of these roads, but not all. But they're all paved GRIN. A couple rides I'll share here are 'out-and-back' rides, because in the West, distances are really stretched out. I have a couple suggestions, which I'll get to right now. First, and I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers, but speaking personally, I'm not crazy about spending all day on the reservation. For those not familiar with this part of the world, the Navajo reservation encompasses the entire NE corner of Arizona. If you want to see Monument Valley (it's really amazing), you gotta traverse the Navajo Nation. You'll see lots of poverty. And you gotta watch oncoming traffic; lots of DUIs there. I also have mountain runs, straight east on US-160 to Wolf Creek Pass, and a great loop from Cortez on CO-145 to Ridgeway, then back down US-550 on the Million Dollar Highway to Durango and Cortez. The longest day is 265 miles. The shortest day is 231 miles. The graphics I'm gonna attach here have the main towns and mileages in the graphic. If you right-click on it to save it, hopefully it'll show the route name and mileage. Always interested in feedback...

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I live in SW Kansas, My favorite ride is starting at Breckenridge Co. Taking I 70 to Grand Junction, then Highway 50 back to Kansas. It is a 709 mile loop. View attachment 47359
A person could easily spend a month here in Colorado, rarely repeating any section of highway. If you land up here in my neck of the woods, Colo Springs, be sure to do the Pikes Peak run.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is gonna be a long post. Well.... without knowing what kind of mileage y'all (as a group) consider a 'reasonable' day's ride (for me it's ~350 mi) and, wanting to include day rides that were mostly under 300 miles, I did some work and came up with some awesome rides. I've been on most of these roads, but not all. But they're all paved GRIN. A couple rides I'll share here are 'out-and-back' rides, because in the West, distances are really stretched out. I have a couple suggestions, which I'll get to right now. First, and I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers, but speaking personally, I'm not crazy about spending all day on the reservation. For those not familiar with this part of the world, the Navajo reservation encompasses the entire NE corner of Arizona. If you want to see Monument Valley (it's really amazing), you gotta traverse the Navajo Nation. You'll see lots of poverty. And you gotta watch oncoming traffic; lots of DUIs there. Now for my 2nd suggestion, much lighter: we're gonna be SO CLOSE to the incredible National Parks in Utah. If you haven't seen Arches NP or Canyonlands NP, they're reachable from Cortez. It would be an out-and-back, but easily doable. I also included a surprise package, a National Monument very few people have heard of, Natural Bridges. I also have mountain runs, straight east on US-160 to Wolf Creek Pass, and a great loop from Cortez on CO-145 to Ridgeway, then back down US-550 on the Million Dollar Highway to Durango and Cortez. The longest day is 336 miles, taking in both Arches and Canyonlands. The shortest day is 169 miles, kinda bland run to Shiprock and Farmington, NM. The graphics I'm gonna attach here have the main towns and mileages in the graphic. If you right-click on it to save it, hopefully it'll show the route name and mileage. Always interested in feedback...
If you just rest your mouse cursor on the attachments, you'll see the mileage at the end of the filename.

·
Registered
228 Posts
A person could easily spend a month here in Colorado, rarely repeating any section of highway. If you land up here in my neck of the woods, Colo Springs, be sure to do the Pikes Peak run.
We rode up to the peak a few years ago, was lots of traffic so the ride up was slow kinda & nerve racking almost came to a stop many times, didn't like that part much cause of the slope of road and the possibility of having to stop at an angle lean! Was great coming down didn't have any traffic. At the bottom was 70 degrees, at the top 30 degrees!

·
Registered
34 Posts
We rode up to the peak a few years ago, was lots of traffic so the ride up was slow kinda & nerve racking almost came to a stop many times, didn't like that part much cause of the slope of road and the possibility of having to stop at an angle lean! Was great coming down didn't have any traffic. At the bottom was 70 degrees, at the top 30 degrees!
Yeah in all honesty I haven't been up there on the CTX yet. But twice in a 4-wheeler, after the tourists had left for the season

·
Registered
228 Posts
Me and a riding buddy plan our trips around KOA camp grounds, We usually stay in the single room Kamping Kabins, just a step up from tents, $50 to $70 a night, which we split, Colorado has plenty of them scattered about! Nice rest rooms and showers usually.
I am in for a trip, set a date!
Plant Building Window Tree Land lot

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Me and a riding buddy plan our trips around KOA camp grounds, We usually stay in the single room Kamping Kabins, just a step up from tents, $50 to $70 a night, which we split, Colorado has plenty of them scattered about! Nice rest rooms and showers usually.
I am in for a trip, set a date!
View attachment 47370
Ya know, my brother and his wife used to travel that way, he was all big into KOA Kampground Kabins. Maybe I'll pick his brains about pointers on what to know about that. As for picking the dates, I'll defer to stilburd2 on that. I believe he was talking early June, lemme check...yeah, he prefers 6/3 thru 6/5 but 6/10 thru 6/12 works for him too. Those are both weekends, he originally suggested people arrive the Thursday evening before, we can hash out routing that evening, and ride Friday and Saturday, and everybody head for home on Sunday. So 3 motel nights. So we just gotta agree on which weekend. I'm fine with either one, I'm retired!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Um, so, I just made a 'command decision' about the Cortez trip; I booked a hotel room NOW. My honey and I are going, regardless. If no one else goes, we're still going. The KOA Kabin idea that was mentioned was not practical (my opinion) at $96/night when the nearby Quality Inn was $85.65/night. And I get my own toilet and heater and air conditioner and shower GRIN.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I'm still good to go on this, but I think it was @Stirling that's picking the dates and rounding this up. I'm retired so most any dates are good for me. My biggest decision will be to ride or trailer the bike out there. I think the arrive Wed or Thur in time for dinner, then tour/ride Fri & Sat and travel out Sun or whenever worked pretty good for previous Meet-Ups. So @swblake can ya please post the dates and location you booked? If this covid crap ever breaks I'm thinking people will be out in force on vacations so booking rooms (especially if they can be CNX without a charge/problem) should be done now. Just my thoughts.
Also those rides look pretty cool.
Watching

·
Registered
228 Posts
What days did you book at the Cortez Quality inn? I may be able to make that work, as long as wheat harvest hasn't started! Working at a John Deere dealership gets busy around then.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
I will most likely be in on this ride all depending on the proposed dates. For me starting with a full tank and doing 2 more fill ups is a full day. But then it all depends on the type of riding and what I want to see or do along the way. Thanks for all the time and effort thus far.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts