CTX 1300 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, first of all, an apology to @Stirling for messing up the original source for this thread. The hotel I picked is the Quality Inn, Cortez, CO and the cost (Senior/AARP rate) of $85.65/night average (little less on Thu night) before taxes. A grand total for 3 nights, after tax ($24.02) is $280.98 for Thu, June 2nd to (departure) Sunday, June 5th. TTYTT, I'm toying with also booking the following weekend, (arrive Thu June 9, depart Sun June 12). Why? Well, I'd be cancelling one of the two, but both weekends were mentioned as possibilities. If you decide that's a good idea, be SURE to not grab the cheapest reservation price, which is non-refundable. Really, (IMO), both of those weekends have a positive and a negative. Earlier weekend makes it more likely we'll be ahead of the summer rush, later weekend means a slightly better chance of not encountering snow at 11,000' elevation. It's extremely unlikely the roads would have ice/snow on them in either case. If so, we don't go that way! CoDOT has a great webpage at CoTrip.org that has road conditions, cameras at the passes, etc. Here's a current picture of Wolf Creek Pass. Glad I'm not there now! That image will probably update itself, but the current (12/21) shot has lots of snow but the road is dry & dusty. This Cortez idea is likely to be the kind of trip where you'd want warm-weather AND cold-weather gear. The desert southwest is likely to be really pleasant still. Any other questions, fire away.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, first of all, an apology to @Stirling for messing up the original source for this thread. The hotel I picked is the Quality Inn, Cortez, CO and the cost (Senior/AARP rate) of $85.65/night average (little less on Thu night) before taxes. A grand total for 3 nights, after tax ($24.02) is $280.98 for Thu, June 2nd to (departure) Sunday, June 5th. TTYTT, I'm toying with also booking the following weekend, (arrive Thu June 9, depart Sun June 12). Why? Well, I'd be cancelling one of the two, but both weekends were mentioned as possibilities. If you decide that's a good idea, be SURE to not grab the cheapest reservation price, which is non-refundable. Really, (IMO), both of those weekends have a positive and a negative. Earlier weekend makes it more likely we'll be ahead of the summer rush, later weekend means a slightly better chance of not encountering snow at 11,000' elevation. It's extremely unlikely the roads would have ice/snow on them in either case. If so, we don't go that way! CoDOT has a great webpage at CoTrip.org that has road conditions, cameras at the passes, etc. Here's a current picture of Wolf Creek Pass. Glad I'm not there now! That image will probably update itself, but the current (12/21) shot has lots of snow but the road is dry & dusty. This Cortez idea is likely to be the kind of trip where you'd want warm-weather AND cold-weather gear. The desert southwest is likely to be really pleasant still. Any other questions, fire away.
Follow-up: I did book that 2nd weekend as well, just in case. Same price. Should also mention I'm a Choice Rewards member, but that's usually the same price as Senior/AARP. It bears mentioning that if you wait till late May to book your room, you're likely gonna have difficulties getting a room. Book sooner rather than later and understand the cancellation policy. For the Quality Inn in Cortez, it's 24 hours prior (4:00 PM the day before). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Follow-up: I did book that 2nd weekend as well, just in case. Same price. Should also mention I'm a Choice Rewards member, but that's usually the same price as Senior/AARP. It bears mentioning that if you wait till late May to book your room, you're likely gonna have difficulties getting a room. Book sooner rather than later and understand the cancellation policy. For the Quality Inn in Cortez, it's 24 hours prior (4:00 PM the day before). Hope this helps.
Average high temp for Cortez in May is 74, June is 85. So, I'm guessing average temps for early June would be ~80. June is also the lowest month of the year for precipitation, at <1/2"

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Ok, I just did the same as @swblake and made two reservations at the Quality Inn Cortez CO. Although I have myself arriving on Wed 6-1 and out on 6-5 and Wed 6-8 to 6-12. With their no fee CNX policy as long as ya CNX 24 hrs in advance it's hard to beat and insure your in for a room. Although I am a senior (by a bit) I used my American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) discount. That brought the room down maybe $5 a night. I keep my AMA membership active as it also offers towing for ANY vehicle your using.
Maybe if @swblake is familiar with the area, if you get a chance scope out some camping in the immediate area would be helpful. I know a number of riders tent camp or cabin at these meetups. Info might draw in a bigger crew of CTX1300 riders.
Have a Merry Christmas all and ride safe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, hey what's ~10 miles from Cortez? Mesa Verde National Park! Lots of camping there. Morefield Campground has 267 total sites, and is fully open when we plan to be there. Phone number is 1-800-449-2288 if you wanna check it out or you can go to their webpage, main page HERE, campground page HERE. Later today I'll look up some more private and public campground possibilities. Right now it's time for me to get away from the PC and go hike. Merry Christmas, everyone!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, Yelp came up with some ideas for those of you that prefer camping, and maybe prefer to not stay at nearby Mesa Verde Nat'l Park. Here's a LINK to the results of a search query. I thought that Dolores River campground looked kinda interesting. These campgrounds mostly appear to be both tent and RV camping. #4, The Views, also looked interesting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok, I just did the same as @swblake and made two reservations at the Quality Inn Cortez CO. Although I have myself arriving on Wed 6-1 and out on 6-5 and Wed 6-8 to 6-12. With their no fee CNX policy as long as ya CNX 24 hrs in advance it's hard to beat and insure your in for a room. Although I am a senior (by a bit) I used my American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) discount. That brought the room down maybe $5 a night. I keep my AMA membership active as it also offers towing for ANY vehicle your using.
Maybe if @swblake is familiar with the area, if you get a chance scope out some camping in the immediate area would be helpful. I know a number of riders tent camp or cabin at these meetups. Info might draw in a bigger crew of CTX1300 riders.
Have a Merry Christmas all and ride safe.
You know, that's a great idea. I think I'll change our reservation to arriving on Wednesday and departing Monday morning too. Gives my butt a day off after riding out from Colo Spgs and a day off before returning home. Looks like my better half and I are going to two-vehicle it out; I'll ride and she'll drive her car with all our crap in the car. Gives us the opportunity to do a couple 4-wheeler day trips as well. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Ok, i just booked quality inn 6/2 -6\5. I like those dates and did not make reservations for the following week. We should firm up the dates soon and just plan to them. The only comments on dates were harvest related, but i dont know which are better. Looking forward to this!

·
Registered
34 Posts
OK, hey @Sterling it's your call, do you still prefer that 1st weekend in June? I'm fine with those dates. Anybody have any issue with us firming up on arriving evening of Thu, 6/2, riding Friday, 6/3 and Saturday, 6/4, leave for home Sunday, 6/5? This doesn't mean you can't arrive earlier or depart later, but our group riding days are Friday & Saturday. I'm a go on those dates, will cancel my 2nd reservation for the week after, but still plan on arriving earlier and departing later.

·
Registered
2014 Red CTX1300 Deluxe
8 Posts
Check in 6/2 .. check out 6/5 would work great for me. Any other dates around these days would also work. I just need to know as soon as I can so I can make my reservation. Trying to plan my extended trip to Utah, Wyoming, Montana and N Dakota .... motels, sites, campgrounds, etc. Cortez will be my starting point.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Check in 6/2 .. check out 6/5 would work great for me. Any other dates around these days would also work. I just need to know as soon as I can so I can make my reservation. Trying to plan my extended trip to Utah, Wyoming, Montana and N Dakota .... motels, sites, campgrounds, etc. Cortez will be my starting point.
Book it! Your followon tour sounds great...the meet up will be the perfect starting point. I look forward to meeting you.

I will see about getting the thread title changed to include the dates.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We haven't heard from @Sterling in a while now, hope he's OK. Maybe just the holidays. I suggest we proceed with the presumption that those dates are a go. Don't mean to go around him, it's still his thread.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
We haven't heard from @Sterling in a while now, hope he's OK. Maybe just the holidays. I suggest we proceed with the presumption that those dates are a go. Don't mean to go around him, it's still his thread.
I am here. I see that once and awhile my posts are shown as stirlinghunter1. Not sure why, maybe something to do with the phone I guess. I have been on my back for the last month with a bulge disc (quite painful) and was finally able to sit at a computer 2 days ago. Rough month. Anyway, I am on the mend. Probably off the bike at least a few more weeks.

Let's make the dates June 2 arrive - June 5 depart. I am going to change to title of the thread today to reflect the dates (see post #54) once I figure out how to edit it.

I am really excited about this coming together...looks like we have some participants! @swblake , I absolutely dont mind you coordinating...I think it is great!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am here. I see that once and awhile my posts are shown as stirlinghunter1. Not sure why, maybe something to do with the phone I guess. I have been on my back for the last month with a bulge disc (quite painful) and was finally able to sit at a computer 2 days ago. Rough month. Anyway, I am on the mend. Probably off the bike at least a few more weeks.

Let's make the dates June 2 arrive - June 5 depart. I am going to change to title of the thread today to reflect the dates (see post #54) once I figure out how to edit it.

I am really excited about this coming together...looks like we have some participants! @swblake , I absolutely dont mind you coordinating...I think it is great!
@Stirling, glad to hear you're on the mend! I, for one, thought Sterlinghunter1 was someone else entirely. OK, it's a 'go', we have our dates locked in. It's 6 months away, it's snowing here right now, but I'm already getting excited!

·
Registered
34 Posts
OK, we have our dates. I started counting the number of interested participants yesterday, and came up with 15 total. Of course @Sterling got counted twice, so it's actually ~14, tops. I wonder where those AZ riders are?

A clarification: I'm totally OK with the Navajo Nation run to see Monument Valley. Just wanted to advise everyone as to what to expect. There's just so much you can see from US-163. Don't misunderstand, you can still see plenty, but if you REALLY want to see it, you're looking at a several-hour ride in a Navajo Jeep ($$$) deep into the backcountry. Also, other than Monument Valley, there's not much eye candy. This run means a whole lotta straight road, out & back.

A question for everyone: Anybody bringing their spouse/girlfriend? My wife will be driving her car out, tagging along with me. Whether or not she joins us on Fri & Sat, to her way of thinking, depends on whether anyone else does the same. If not, she'll hang behind in Cortez. She's 100% OK with that, BTW. She & I will have Thu & Sun to do stuff together. Another note: She's fine with being the taxi, if there's something we need that's not practical to use the bikes for, hey, we have her car!

One more question: is this ride only for CTX1300's a/o forum members? I have a bro-in-law who has an H-D, he might be interested in joining. I'm kinda new to the forum, so I just don't know the parameters there. Plz enlighten me!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
A clarification: I'm totally OK with the Navajo Nation run to see Monument Valley.

A question for everyone: Anybody bringing their spouse/girlfriend?

One more question: is this ride only for CTX1300's a/o forum members?
I was thinking Monument Valley ride thru just cuz it was kind of close. I rode through there in the 80's and personally dont need to ride it again, but was thinking of others from the east who might want to. I rode by the nearby Canyon De Chelly on my way back from the 1st western meetup in 2017 and was planning to hike to the bottom but didnt feel safe leaving my CTX in the parking lot with gear strapped to the back, so I understand your point. I haven't looked at your routes posted earlier in the month and I will get to those today perhaps.

Spouses/girlfriends more than welcome!! I am not bringing the wife (she will go on 20 mile Sunday cruises, but prefers more luxury when we travel travel 👠). However, I know spouses and friends attend the annual meetup in the mountains and some of those 2-up attendees are among the interested in this meetup.

And yes, riders of other makes are more than welcome.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You're never going to believe this; I was looking at Google Maps, noticed we'll go past Bears Ears NM and not too far from Hovenweap NM the day we go thru Monument Valley. Thought I'd go to StreetView a little north of the AZ-UT border on US-163. I noticed in one of the StreetView shots there was a motorcycle approaching the Google van taking pictures. I got curious, kept moving the StreetView shot further and further until the motorcycle was passing the van. Check this out:
Cloud Sky Tire Vehicle Wheel

The timestamp is July of '08. Is that an ST1300? Sure looks like it! What's the chances?

41 - 60 of 75 Posts