CTX 1300 Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Red CTX1300 Deluxe
8 Posts
Book it! Your followon tour sounds great...the meet up will be the perfect starting point. I look forward to meeting you.
Booked an AirBnb 1 mile from Quality for 6/2 - 6/5. Private Studio with parking, kit, bath, living area for $100 less than Quality. Not anti-social ... just frugal. Also, traveled for a living and developed an aversion to motel rooms. Yeah ... Cortez is perfect starting point for my trip. Fantastic timing. Really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am in CA (orange county) and @t star , also interested in the meetup, is in Stockton area. I plan to take about 7 days total, with a direct 1.5 days out there (if Durango/Cortez) and a 3 day meander return starting Sunday. I would like to be at the meet up location around lunch/beer time and have a meetup dinner with everyone (or most) on Thursday evening. We would have the official meetup rides Friday and Saturday, and then start a scenic route home on Sunday. If some folks want to group ride Sunday AM, I would maybe join in.

If all you have is the 4 days off, that would be tough.
Well, you got me interested because I lived in San Diego from 1980 to 2017. You're right about it being 1.5 days for you, personally, I'm thinking 2 to get to Cortez, CO (roughly 735 miles). I'm thinking Flag the 1st night. t star would probably have to add an extra day on, coming from Stockton. I looked for a way he could 'cut corners', but it's still a helluva long ride; the shortest route is via Tonopah, NV and is 958 miles! That's 475 miles x 2. It does include a stretch of US-6, which is 'wide open', and also NV-375, which goes by Area 51. I've been that way, you'll probably kill a few birds sitting on the road. Nobody out there, they get lazy. Watch for fuel! Tonopah is the last spot for a LONG time. Speed safe!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, you got me interested because I lived in San Diego from 1980 to 2017. You're right about it being 1.5 days for you, personally, I'm thinking 2 to get to Cortez, CO (roughly 735 miles). I'm thinking Flag the 1st night. t star would probably have to add an extra day on, coming from Stockton. I looked for a way he could 'cut corners', but it's still a helluva long ride; the shortest route is via Tonopah, NV and is 958 miles! That's 475 miles x 2. I'll attach a map of that route in case he's crazy enough. It does include a stretch of US-6, which is 'wide open', and also NV-375, which goes by Area 51. I've been on that road, you'll probably kill a few birds on the road. Nobody out there, they get lazy. Watch for fuel! Tonopah is the last spot for a LONG time. Speed safe!
View attachment 47409
You can do it! According to map, it just a day trip for me. Am I missing something?? LOL. Hope you figure out a way to make it.
Water resources World Ecoregion White Map

·
Registered
34 Posts
Um, looks like Arches & Canyonlands might be a problem.... tourists! Their website says any time after early April, there's likely to be a waiting line just to get in. And we'd all have to acquire a "Timed Entry Ticket". And of course, it costs to get in, too. Maybe the 'road less traveled' is a better idea... On a brighter note, I found an interesting road that runs us through Canyons of the Ancients NM. So much to discuss that Thu evening we all arrive.

·
Registered
316 Posts
t star would probably have to add an extra day on, coming from Stockton. I looked for a way he could 'cut corners', but it's still a helluva long ride; the shortest route is via Tonopah, NV and is 958 miles! That's 475 miles x 2.
I can get to Cortez in 2 days. The plan is overnight in Needles, CA then motor into Cortez, CO. The distance to Loveland, CO for the 1st western meetup (back in 2017) was over 1100 miles with a layover in Wendover.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Um, looks like Arches & Canyonlands might be a problem.... tourists! ....
I didnt see a canyon of ancients in NM? (doh! national monument!!) I saw another possible option - road 141 going to Gateway CO. Looks like it would be less travelled and it meanders (curves, not twisties) through a red cliff canyon for quite a ways. Has anyone travelled that road? Would be an out an back vs loop. A grille in Gateway for lunch, but it may be too fancy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I didnt see a canyon of ancients in NM? (doh! national monument!!) I saw another possible option - road 141 going to Gateway CO. Looks like it would be less travelled and it meanders (curves, not twisties) through a red cliff canyon for quite a ways. Has anyone travelled that road? Would be an out an back vs loop. A grille in Gateway for lunch, but it may be too fancy.
I just recently (a few months ago) was on CO-141 coming in from the other way, from just south of Grand Junction. Was with my BIL and stepson. Awesome, incredible road. We only went as far as Gateway, so I know nothing about beyond that other than it looks epic. On that ride, we ate at that grille you mentioned. It's actually the Paradox Grille @ Gateway Canyons Resort & Spa, pretty swanky, although everyone was cool when we came in wearing our leathers. I had a burger, it was overpriced (~$15) but good. It's like the ONLY place to eat there that I saw.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I'm open to all ideas or criticisms. Throw 'em out there! If it's too much, say so,
Yeah, I think 400 miles is way too much for a group ride. Need time to stop and kick some rocks, talk story, take pics, and admire the bikes. Oh and eat of course! 300 miles with 70+ sections is a full/max day, in my opinion. I would prefer 200 miles but in the southwest it is tough to find. Keep in mind most may be doing the 400+ mile days getting to and from the meetup.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, I think 400 miles is way too much for a group ride. Need time to stop and kick some rocks, talk story, take pics, and admire the bikes. Oh and eat of course! 300 miles with 70+ sections is a full/max day, in my opinion. I would prefer 200 miles but in the southwest it is tough to find. Keep in mind most may be doing the 400+ mile days getting to and from the meetup.
@Sterling, gotcha. Kinda thought so. Scratch those earlier maps GRIN. The one ride I'd really like to do is that CO-145/US-550 (Million $ Hwy) run which is 231 miles total. If you can make that up-and-back on CO-141 a go, that would be kewl too. One note about US-550; you WILL get stuck behind campers/motorhomes. Better grab any passing opportunities that arise. He who hesitates is lost!

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I’m in arriving 6-1 out on 6-5.
Previous meetups have been open to anyone and I see no reason to exclude anyone. So @swblake tell the bro in-law to mark the date.
Spouses/significant others are / have always been welcome.
Anyone traveling thru MO going / coming home, I haven’t decided to trailer or ride yet. I’d enjoy riding in or out with another participant. I don’t do 7-8 hundred mile days so I’m figuring 2.5-3 days for the 1077 miles from my house. 17-18 hr riding time. 573-646-3863 is my house number as we get closer give me a buzz and see if our paths cross before Cortez. One request please don’t post the number “ for a good time call”………….
Ride safe all

·
Registered
34 Posts
So @swblake tell the bro in-law to mark the date.
Bro-in-law is a no-go. He's intent on golfing in every state, has plans to add to his list.

I have a lifetime of making plans with friends a/o relatives, who then bail on me. I go anyway!

Cleaned up some of my posts that were obsolete, a bit more streamlined now. I tried to remove them, couldn't. Maybe the moderator has to do that. Thanks, bob!

Hey, do y'all run comms? I have a 20S Evo.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Sena 10 also here. On the eastern meetup I believe it was just the lead and tail that were communicating. But anyone could listen or chime in if they were connected Keeping tabs on the group getting too spread out, thru intersections and such since not everyone rode at the same pace. Allowed the lead to slow at turns and such so no one got lost. It worked well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’m in arriving 6-1 out on 6-5.
Previous meetups have been open to anyone and I see no reason to exclude anyone. So @swblake tell the bro in-law to mark the date.
Spouses/significant others are / have always been welcome.
Anyone traveling thru MO going / coming home, I haven’t decided to trailer or ride yet. I’d enjoy riding in or out with another participant. I don’t do 7-8 hundred mile days so I’m figuring 2.5-3 days for the 1077 miles from my house. 17-18 hr riding time. 573-646-3863 is my house number as we get closer give me a buzz and see if our paths cross before Cortez. One request please don’t post the number “ for a good time call”………….
Ride safe all
Hey Bruce, if your routing takes you on US-160, maybe we could meet up in Walsenburg, CO and ride in together on US-160 for the last 264 miles? My wife and I are also arriving on 6/1, me on the CTX, her in her Focus, driving behind me. If we were able to meet up in Walsenburg, you could drop any gear you wanted into her car. Just a thought... and if we missed each other, no biggie. Lemme know what you think. If you'd rather not, no worries. BTW, I'm Scott.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts