CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a set of plugs from Amazon. Decided to go with NGK as I've never had an issue....until now. Installed first plug after gapping and adding a dot of anti-seize. Threaded the plug down until it seated and then turned another quarter turn. When I removed the socket, half of the plug came out with it. Luckily, I was able to remove the threaded end of the plug. Posting pics, note the difference in the NGK plug and the Denso plug. Lesson learned but the NGK was the plug recommended in the manual. I have never had this happen in fifty years of wrenching.
Font Service Gas Light bulb Compact fluorescent lamp

·
Registered
845 Posts
Not sure the problem. Posting a pic of the E3.38 that I have in my bike. Is long shank like the NGK’s, not short like that ND. Only thing I can think of is that the old ND plugs didn’t go all the way down the threads, and had carbon build-up in there and you tried screwing the new plugs through that crud in the threads. Or, maybe only needs a slight bit of extra turn (not 1/4 turn) after crush washer contact. Other than that, don’t know what to tell you. See posts #23 & #24 in following thread: E3.38 and Iridium spark plug test results?
Font Amber Material property Screenshot Automotive lighting

·
Registered
426 Posts
I dont order plugs or filters from Amazon...never know what I am really getting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tend to agree that these plugs were imposters. I never really put much torque installing the plug. I did feel the crush washer contact the seat but hardly any resistance afterwards. The Denso plug has the same reach as the NGK. It just has a shoulder between the threads and the washer. I don't believe my bike has significant build up of carbon as it only has 4000 miles on the clock. I just wanted to replace the plugs as a precaution after a bad gas event.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Due to my past experience receiving knockoff electronics from Amazon, I ordered my plugs directly from NGK. Happy to report the installation was uneventful.

A lot of counterfeit stuff is being sold on Amazon and no one is being held accountable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to update my situation. I got a set of NGK plugs from the local Honda dealership, same # as the ones I purchased from Amazon. Noticed that these plugs have the shoulder at the top of the threads like the Denso plugs had. Installed these and my bike is running very well. In a different post I mention that I must have gotten a bad tank of fuel as the bike was running rough, missing and stalling at idle. The cure was replacing the in tank fuel filter, filling up with fresh fuel and replacing the plugs.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
569 Posts
Glad to hear that everything worked out. I buy NGK plugs directly from NGK or a local nationwide auto supplier. If your first purchase was genuine plugs, then they were defective. In 43 years of wrenching on bikes, cars, etc. I have never had a defective NGK plug. Most likely it was a counterfeit item - very common on Amazon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts