CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although the dealer had a Delux right there, I didn't opt for it.
Should I have? It sure would be cool if music actually came out of those speakers.

Any opinions on whether I should attempt ordering and installing the sound system? (I've got the fancy in-helmet blutooth speakers, but that seems overkill for jaunts around our little town)

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
So far I find I am using my Scala Q2 headset for radio around town more than anything. I might use the audio on longer trips where it's a hassle to tune in the radio in my Q2 for other stations while on the road (one of it's bad points IMO). I do have a Boosteroo with my mp3 player to connect directly to the Q2 so I don't NEED the audio system. My primary reason for getting the Deluxe is that I wanted the ABS/TC, the other stuff is fluff. Nice fluff, but still fluff. Unfortunately, it's your call if you really want the audio system or not. It wouldn't make any difference to me if that part was there or not. I know this doesn't really help you make a decision but wanted to let you know that not everyone here needs other noise than the road and the engine when just tripping around town. If I'm only running to the store a few miles away I opt to only turn on the BT for my phone and nothing else. Like that engine sound :)
I'll sometimes turn it all off even when on a LD road trip and just relish in the "natural" sounds of road and bike. :D

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Jim, I did the same thing. I'm not having second thoughts at all; because I've never had tunes on a bike, I'm not really missing them. But with that wonderful quiet behind the tall windscreen, I am actually thinking about considering the possibility of maybe looking into that sound system as an accessory. Worst case, I don't use it and I'm out the cost of installation, which has still got to be significantly less than the $1,500 difference of the Deluxe over the standard. But I don't know -- I can't see adding anything that will detract from the purr of that V-4. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
761 Posts
I did not use music on my previous bikes. I tried it out on the CTX when I got some time off work in May. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it works. I liked it so much I set it up on my other bike also.

I'm using the built-in speakers connected to an iPod via Blue Tooth. It works really well. I can hear the music way better than I expected.

Obviously, you wouldn't want to listen to classical or milder progressive rock. The wind overrides the quiet passages. But it works great for most rock, pop, and country. I rode along and sang with Ernest Tubb and Merle Haggard this past weekend. :)

I have not set up the part that automatically mutes the sound at lower rpms. I am manually turning the tunes off when I get into areas where folks might be annoyed.

I bought the Deluxe for the ABS. But the audio has been a very pleasant bonus.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I got the Deluxe because is was the color that my wife liked... I have never been interested in music while riding, but since I had it, I had to test it out - who knows, maybe I would like it. I put a few tunes on a USB stick and went to the garage just to see how it would sound. The speakers sound really good within the range they can handle (mid to high), but lack the oomph to carry any music that really needs the bass to make it work. I found that my "Chicago" or "Blood, Sweat, and Tears" tunes that are mostly horns and vocal sound pretty good, some of my jazz works also, but any "real" rock just didn't sound good to me.

When I took the music on the road, I just could not hear it over the wind noise that is there with the shorty windshield (I use a full face helmet, so I am sure that is a factor also).

Since we were planning a road trip over the past holiday weekend, and since I had just gotten the tall windshield I put together a collection of music that I thought would sound the best through the speakers to give it another try. The tall windshield has gotten some high marks for making the audio system sound better, but I was still disappointed with the results - still too much wind noise, and as others have noted with the tall windshield you hear the engine sounds better. This is not to say that you cannot hear the music, it just does not sound good to me. But the experiment was a success insomuch as I was able to confirm again to myself that I do not really want music while riding the motorcycle - I like the "quite" of the wind and engine alone.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I too bought deluxe for the TS and ABS. Audio addition was a bonus. The audio system which probably didn't add too much to the overall Deluxe package cost (IMHO) is fine with taller windshield BUT was a waste with shorty. If you expect deep bass and clean highs from small speakers in very small thin plastic enclosures (so not to cannibalize the fairing sleek design) powered by limited power sources for not much money... you are just kidding yourself. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d
With taller windshield and 3/4 helmet ( face shield up) sound is about as good as we should reasonably expect, and better than my full face with speakers and Bluetooth. I agree the bike sounds should be enough, and they are. But it is also nice to also have the option to add some tunes now and then during the ride with little effort involved. :smileygarden_de_ban Linking to my itTouch or Nano is quick. I probably have had audio on ~ 1/4 of the time when riding now. It was essentially zero with the shorty.

Though I do wish it also had a radio or there was a radio source option (are you "listening" HONDA?):eek:

Reactions: Jimmytootall

·
Registered
446 Posts
(...)
Though I do wish it also had a radio or there was a radio source option (are you "listening" HONDA?):eek:
eBay is full of Bluetooth senders for cheap. Get one, connect your Sirius (or whatever radio gear you cherish and would like to listen to while underway) to it, pair the sender with the bike and there you go :)

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
131 Posts
misunderstood

What I was saying is I would like it better if it had standard (and preferably built in) AM/FM radio with no fees or fuss or added equipment etc.. That would be just an alternative available in addition to an BT storage device which I'd still use more.
I'm fully aware of BT senders and receivers as I have several of each. IN fact I have used some for linking older classic 160 GB iPods to the CTX and other devices.
I had occasionally subscribed to XM at times for some of my cars, but only if I plan to use it for some time and they offered an inexpensive rate. Being retired with a number of vehicles, I no longer drive any given one as much as in past to justify subscriptions. I now drive them only done once in awhile plus I change what is on the road frequently and XM doesn't support transfers. I would not do that for the bike nor would I want to add a device somewhere such as a portable XM radio receiver. And the big deal breaker is here in CT and many hills XM fades in and out way too much. Works best on highways and I tend to avoid highways when riding to enjoy the back road scenery and twisties.

Reactions: bruceb
1 - 8 of 8 Posts