CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out "riding-and-thinking" again this morning and I THINK the reason the CTX forks seemed to get better once you put on some decent mileage has to do with the forks getting back into "alignment" or "equilibrium" (tossing in some bigger words so you can figure I'm nuts).

Anyway, on the forum for my previous ride (Honda CB1100) the guys who installed the SuperBrace fork brace said the front end became more compliant and responsive. The thinking was that because they had to loosen the fork tubes when they installed the fork brace it allowed the front end to find it's own alignment and equilibrium letting any bit of misalignment go away.

During shipping the bikes, our's included I think, are strapped down with the forks compressed to fit the crate and the front wheel is usually immobilized. Bang the crate around with enough fork lifts, into a ship, more fork lifts and truck rides and the forks get tweaked just a bit so they're still in spec when the dealer does the uncrating and prep work for delivery.

Guys on Goldwing forums also mention the ride improvement with the SuperBrace installed on their bikes so I got to thinking maybe the installation process itself provides a lot of that suspension improvement with the fork tubes back into natural alignment.

I was going to lighter fork oil but since I got lazy and never did it but just rode my bike the forks sure seem to be more compliant than when brand new.

Crazy idea? Maybe one of you guys with a new, low mile bike that thinks the forks are too stiff should put it up on the center stand, LOOSEN but don't remove any of the triple tree bolts and the front axle pinch bolts and the front axle, let the forks realign themselves and TIGHTEN up all those bolts.

Go take a ride and let us know what you observe.

Mahalo!
Huladog

·
Registered
283 Posts
Air temperature also has some effect. I have lighter fork oil but there is still a big difference between winter riding (temps 40-50) and now in summer (temps 70-80).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts