CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)How does everyone find the accuracy of your speedometer . I have found that mine is spot on with my Garmin 660 . The first Honda that I have owned to be that good .

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Measured it with my phone gps using both Waze and Google nav, seems to be right on. :)

Reactions: willajabir

·
Registered
764 Posts
I compared both of mine with a Garmin Montana when the bikes were new. Both bikes were spot on. Most of the recent Hondas I've owned have had good speedos. In the past I've had Hondas that were off as much as 10%.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Houston Police routinely sets up mobile radar trailers whenever they get complaints of speeders near the entrance to various neighborhoods in the area. No tickets issued with them, but they do have a large display letting the motorists know what speed they are traveling at. There was one parked down the street last week, and then at another location earlier this week. Both times, my speedometer clocked dead-on accurate.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Those mobile radar trailers in our area are always set to read about 10% off... IOW- going 28 when they show 25. They are always set up in places like school zones and the like.

My GL1500 was about 6% off depending on what tires were mounted. My Burgman 650 and my ST1100 were both about 10-11% off (again, depending what tires are mounted). The exact tire brand/size as well as psi at the moment will cause the speedo to show slightly different mph by as much as 1-2% per my own experience.
First thing I did when I mounted my GPS is to compare the speedo to it. I have a Garmin Nuvi 550 (waterproof and mc gloves friendly). As said by others here, this is the first Honda I've had that is spot on.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
It seems that Hondas of the recent past were about 10% off to the high side. At least my 2005 Wing was. Fixed that by installing a taller profile 180/70 Bridgestone Exedra Max as opposed to the stock 180/60. The speedometer became accurate from then on. The downside was having a rear tire that did not leave the ground completely when the center stand was deployed. No more easily rocking the bike off the stand while in the saddle.

This CTX1300 appears to be nearly dead on.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My VTX was exactly 10% fast no matter what speed I was going. This bike is dead on the number at every speed I have looked at it compared to my TomTom.

·
Registered
833 Posts
My Boulevard was 5 MPH off at every speed checked with my GPS. A Friend bough a New 09 Goldwing and his speedo matched mine, 5 off. The CTX is right on with the GPS. I have to keep track or I end up way over the Speed Limit, not used to the smooth, quiet ride.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had mine checked by radar and one of the local Deputies...spot on. Best speedo I have had since my certified Kawasaki 1000P. hahahahaha

·
Registered
147 Posts
These bikes are spot on. Most accurate of any motorcycle Ive owned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I guess I'm the only one but my speedo is 5 km/h off ALL THE TIME. If I'm goin 50 on the gps, the speedo shows 55. If I'm going 120 on the gps, the speedo shows 125. I find this very annoying. Is there a way to fix this? Some kind of adjustment??

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Just plan to go 5 over. :)
Some members have reported the speedo to show off in the right direction when they replaced tires with a higher profile tire. Like a 55 instead of a 50 on the rear for example. May need to do this to both front and rear to get the desired effect. Another option on other bikes, like even the ST1300 (search that forum for details), is one of THESE Speedo Tuners. Don't know that this one will actually work on the CTX1300 but you can search the web for something that might. This option would require a bit of knowledge about the electronic speedo on our bikes.

The best, as in cheapest, option IMHO is really just to get it in your head to offset what the speedo is telling you with what you are actually going. As I mentioned, and others as well, this is the first bike that is spot on for me. In fact, I've only owned one other vehicle of any kind that the speedo was on target. My Murano is spot on as well. But every other car, van, SUV, and motorcycle I've had in the past was off by 3-6% (cars) or 8-12% (motorcycles) and I just adjusted in my head what I was actually doing. I also found that vehicles of the same model differed in how far their speedo was off or even IF it was off. This is more common in older cable operated speedo systems but can be so with newer electronic speedos as well.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Houston Police routinely sets up mobile radar trailers whenever they get complaints of speeders near the entrance to various neighborhoods in the area. No tickets issued with them, but they do have a large display letting the motorists know what speed they are traveling at. There was one parked down the street last week, and then at another location earlier this week. Both times, my speedometer clocked dead-on accurate.
I always thought those things were a Challenge!:smileygarden_de_ban

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
My speed is right on with my Garmin Nuvi 50 gps. I was quite surprised as my 93 Wing was off a bit. However my Chevy Equinox is spot on with the gps also which surprised me too. But I find that with the CTX and the car their MPG is always off when doing the simple math myself at fill ups.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine, too, is pretty spot on with GPS or radar. I wonder if it is a variation in tires between the factory Dunlops and Bridgestones that could be provoking our discussion (Dunlops on mine)?

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
@Dan J. , Here is one thread from a few years ago about the question you asked in the chat box. Just did a search using the search box in the upper right on the term "speedometer" and came to this and other threads.
Based on what you read here starting with the first post you'll see most of our CTX bikes are spot on for speed indicated. Tire size, especially if not OEM spec, will cause a departure from accurate. But then for some bikes which were off with OEM tires seemed to be corrected somewhat with a slightly larger profile tire. But that is actually rare per the evidence presented here. I don't take much stock in the accuracy of those speed signs on trailers that LEOs place around. I've found many to be off.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
My instructor often told me that I was doing 55/56 in a 60mph zone and I've noticed that when I'm using my TomTom SatNav my Speedometer is reading 2-3 miles an hour over what the satnav say's I'm doing. It's not excessive so when riding without my satnav I tend to stick with the speedometer reading.
Over here we have a lot of police mobile speed camera vans. You go around a corner and there it is, too late to slow down. It was one of these that caught me doing 38 mph in a 30 zone a few years ago, first ticket since passing my test in 1966! Must admit that is mostly because I have been lucky and the lack of technology in the 60's and 70's!

Reactions: psullam

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wonder about the accuracy of GPS units relative to speed. They’re only accurate to about 30 feet for location so why assume their speed is dead on?

In my GTI the Gatmin and speedo match at 55. At 65 the Garmin might show 66. At 70 it often, but not always, shows 72.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts