CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been very happy with my ST-1300 the past five years, and am now thinking about the CTX-1300 as my next bike. I haven't seen one with the taller windscreen and top-case, but believe that's how I'd configure mine. I do a couple of long weekends each year and love the protection from the elements and the storage capacity of my ST. Looking forward to learning more about the CTX.

- Bob
Fredericksburg VA

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome to the forum @GoWest.
I'm a former ST1100 rider. The CTX1300 has more protection than it would seem to just looking at it.
Feel free to browse through the gallery, garage section, and other photos posted here. There are many here who have added the top case and tall shield, even after market taller shields and Laminar lips or the MRA X-creen. The panniers are the same volume as on both ST bikes (35 Liter) but shaped different. The stock seat is the best I've known OTD, but there are aftermarket options there too if desired.
You might miss the electrically adjustable shield for a short time but that passes if you are a rider who sets and forgets (like me).

Only way to know for sure if you really like this bike is to ride it. Are you on the ST forum? If so, do you get to any STOC events? I'll be going to LOCSTOC this month and a few others through the summer. Been to Moonshine LR?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bob,

I have had a ST 1300 with the Eurospec top box, and my CTX 1300 has the HondaLine tall windshield and the HondaLine top box. I put about 11,000 miles on my ST, and currently have about 4,000 miles on the CTX.

It can be described as a love/hate relationship with the CTX. Styling wise, I LOVE the CTX, the way the chrome pipes flow, the upper cowling is very unique, and in many ways the CTX has the mini-Goldwing look and feel to it. VERY comfortable, as I imagine you have sat on a CTX? The bars come back to you, and the footpeg position is right where it is most comfortable. The CTX is more nimble in many ways, seat height is lower, fuel is under the seat, so it feels not as top heavy. It has the 200 rear tire, and the engine is shifted back, you will find the bike goes down the highway with unmatched stability!

I definitely like the dashboard on the CTX in comparison to the ST, which in the 90's was OK, but the modern tach/speedo and display are very Honda Accord like and view very nice, especially at night. Display is adjustable for brightness. The bluetooth integration and USB is right on, and is convenient to use and works very well. With the tall windshield, and I am 5'8" tall, I can hear music with a full face and earplugs at 80 mph no problem. The LED headlamps are boss, they are unique, bright white, and work excellent in night time riding.

The side cases are smaller than the ST, so you won't be able to put a full face, but I have a few half helmets that fit no problem. The top case I can put a full face AND a 3/4 face helmet, it may hold to full face, I haven't tried.

That is the love side, now the hate site. First, the forks are a little stiff, which with the length of the bars and the pull back "arm", means they really amplify the harshness of the fork. They soften up slightly, but I think this is mostly from users who get used to the jolt and know to relax the grips slightly to less intensify the feel. That can be alleviated by the ROX vibration kit, which you can find on-line here. They work well AND they raise the bar slightly and make the feel as if you put HELI bar mod on the ST like I had.

The range is a little short for my liking, at 5.1 gallons of fuel and about the same gas mileage as your ST, you will find you miss the larger tank from the ST. However, what is nice about fueling the CTX, is that it is recommended for 87 octane, so while you are riding with the big V-twin cruisers, and you search for premium, it is nice to be able to put regular pump gas in the tank.

The V-4 is, in my opinion, improved from the ST. It doesn't have the top end punch of the ST, but is tuned for torque...EVERYWHERE! Where you normally cruise around town or on the highway, just pin the throttle and you are pulling hard at that point. The throttle sucks though, as it is very sensitive and jerky at times, so you have to be very precise on the throttle. If you look at the design of the CTX, they set this up that way for quick throttle response, but I think they overdid it!

For the price you can buy these right now, FORGET it, the CTX is CHEAP!!!! Bang for the buck, and what you are buying is a lot of bike that can't be matched for the price, case closed!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Closing in on 6000 miles here, I'll agree that the throttle is still jerky and that the front forks are still harsh. I've simply adapted my riding to suit both and consider it part of the character of the machine (which I know makes me sound like a bit of an apologist).

The wrist can be trained to handle this throttle. I only notice it now when I ride another bike and then come back to the CTX. The forks, however, don't really improve. I thought for a while they might have but realized I just hadn't ridden any rough roads for a while. The near 800 miles I put on this past weekend provided ample demonstration of roads where the forks just shock the heck out of my hands. I loosen up my grip a bit when I can see some rough surface coming my way and make the best of it. Gripping hard to brace yourself will only make it worse. For me, not a dealbreaker, though at some point I will be trying the change some have suggested of running 5W oil in order to allow the forks to compress more quickly. I don't want to add risers as a solution because I have the bar position dialed in perfectly with the stock risers.

The top case definitely fits 2 full-face helmets. One of the earliest threads here about the case when it became available has a picture of 2 sitting in it. I absolutely love the storage on this bike.

I do wish the CTX had come with an electronically adjustable windshield. Unlike Bob, I like changing my level of airflow based on the ambient temperature, and it's a bit of a chore to swap windshields, though I've become a pro at it and can do it in under 5 minutes.

Jeff

·
Registered
34 Posts
JEFFZ "Closing in on 6000 miles here, I'll agree that the throttle is still jerky and that the front forks are still harsh. I've simply adapted my riding to suit both and consider it part of the character of the machine (which I know makes me sound like a bit of an apologist)."

I took awhile to get used to the ride by wire throttle. Now I really love it! Takes a sensitive touch? Seems to be the way now with most vehicles, and it's okay. Just got home from a seven day ride and really got to like the whole ergonomics of this bike. I have found I am more comfortable for more hours than any bike I have ever ridden. This means a lot on multi-day trips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome & all the insights on the CTX. I am really drawn to the bike's styling and the ergo's that are tuned for rider comfort. And - it's a Honda. Whenever I'm tempted by Brand X, I keep in mind that in five years I have never had an unscheduled repair on my ST-1300. (Well, one recall to replace a rear brake line, but Mother Honda covered that.)

I love the smoothness and power of a GoldWing but I'm not ready for that heavy a bike. The CTX seems "just right." I've sat on one at my local dealer and he's offering test rides. I am going to take him up on that. BTW, I also hang out at the ST-Owners.com website, using the same screen name (GoWest).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts