CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two weeks ago my CTX got slow to crank one morning. Put the battery tender on it and it fired up after bout ten minutes and ran fine. Ran a few errands and it would start like normal. Next morning it wouldn't go, barely turned. Pulled the battery and it checked "bad". It was an Oreilly's (where I used to work) ETX14s AGM that I put in it about a year and a half ago that spun the engine a little quicker than the original, which lasted over four years. It was spec'ed for the bike per their catalogue and rated at 210 CCA 11ah verses the Yuasa original spec at 230CCA 11.2ah. So I went to the local Honda dealer and got the oem Yuasa. Fired up no problem, till the next morning. Turned a couple times slow and stall. Hooked the tender to it and ten minutes later it started up, but turned slow. Checked all connections and voltages except at the starter which is buried. Service manual says you got to pull the tail end off it including the swingarm which requires a special wrench that runs over 75 plus bucks. I replaced the starter relay but that didn't help. Pulled the right step holder and brake master cylinder reservoir and you can get it out if you got the right tools. Pulled it out and the magnets (fields) had come unglued from the inside of the case. I'm amazed it would even turn at all. Got one coming in tomorrow. Haven't seen anything of this nature before.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow - I learn something new every day! Thanx for sharing. Hope you get her running soon.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Super Moderator
5,470 Posts
Me neither... haven't heard of this (starter mags) happening on any model bike I've owned.

However, I have heard of batteries dying in far less time than expected. I'm guessing the difference in "ah" must matter here but surprised since it is so little. Normally I find mc batteries last about 5 years, give or take some. My Burgman has the original OEM battery still going strong and that's since 2013!
Now I did it. It'll probably die tomorrow just 'cuz I said something.

Just replaced my wife's Honda Metropolitan battery today. Old one totally dead to the starter circuit though the battery maintainer called it good. Her scooter has a kick start foot lever that worked fine to get it home since it died after she rode it to a friend's house.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing holding the magnets (fields) sorta in place were the two long bolts that tie the two ends together and run thru the starter. When I removed it I could turn the gear back and forth a few degrees and the three magnets on each side were hitting the bolts. After taking it apart I could see where the six magnets were originally evenly spaced and probably epoxied around the inside of the sleeve, very little epoxy. While researching online I saw where several Hondas were recalled for improperly glued starter relays but couldn't find anything on bad Honda MC starters. First problem with the bike, only have 18,000 on it. Haven't been able to ride enough the past few years

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New starter installed and I swear it spins quicker than it did when the bike was new. I've always thought it turned a little slow especially when cold but it always started until the second battery died. I got the only CTX1300 in this area and never talked to anyone that had one. The local dealer has sold one other one but the buyer was from out of town. It reminded me of a 74 Harley Super Glide I had a couple of years, it would go umph, umph and then it would start. Oh well it runs so good. I do all my own maintenance and didn't consider it wasn't right. Yes, you can remove and replace the starter without pulling the swingarm.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes, you can remove and replace the starter without pulling the swingarm. Pulled the right step holder and brake master cylinder reservoir and you can get it out if you got the right tools.
@winger861200 If you have the time can you elaborate on this procedure different than that in the manual? What tools are you referring to?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The starter is attached to the back of the engine, in front of the fuel tank and just above the swingarm. It is mostly hidden by the plastic cover behind the brake master cylinder reservoir. To get a good look at it you have to pull the reservoir and that cover off. Also you need to take off the right step holder to give you a little room to work. I used a 1/4" drive ten mm short socket with universal and extension to remove the nut from the positive cable and the lower mount bolt/ground cable. I got the top mount bolt with a small ended reversible ratcheting box end wrench and the starter just comes out a little to the rear and then you can pull it out of the frame. It's a fiddley procedure to put it back in 'cause my fingers aren't long and skinny like they need to be to get between the gas tank and frame. Good hemostats help getting the mount bolts back in place. Much less time and effort instead of following the Honda repair manual procedure, I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts