1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I think it goes without saying that motorcycle fatalities will occur higher than automobiles. Factor in:

(1) No outside protection (no doors, body, fenders, etc.). Despite airbags offered on GoldWings, there is very little, other than protective riding gear, there is nothing to absorb any impact - other than the rider. Typically, the rider will be thrown quite a distance, roll across the road or hit a non-movable object.

(2) Faster speeds. Typically a motorcycle rider will ride at a higher speed than an automobile on any given road. Even if it is only 5MPH faster, they are still at a higher rate of speed. How many times do "squids" ride obnoxiously? In Metro-NYC, it is a huge problem as I am sure it is in any metropolitan city. Plus today's motorcycles are faster than they were 5, 10 or 30 years ago.

(3) No helmet laws. I could write pages on the merits and non-merits of helmet laws. My personal experience clearly demonstrates that helmet laws save lives. Many states do not have mandatory helmet laws and as a result many riders do not wear them. This turns non-lethal accidents into potential lethal ones along with an increase of injuries.

(4) Lack of Protective Gear. It has been my observation in 43 years of riding, that riders who do not wear helmets, do not wear protective gear. I have also observed that riders who do wear helmets also do not wear protective gear. This leads to higher injury rates.

(5). Smaller "footprint". Motorcycles are smaller and can be harder for drivers to see.

(6) Lack of skills and training. There are too many riders that do not any formal training or a desire to raise their skill level.

The above is by no means an all inclusive list. But the point has been made so it is not surprising to read that fatalities of motorcycle riders are higher than auto drivers. 2020 was a boom year for higher motorcycle sales. It will be interesting to see how this affects the fatality rate.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I've seen that same number, 25-35 times, in several reports over the years. Fortunately I have not contributed to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts