CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone did the head bearings replacement? How hard is it and specifically, are there any special tools needed or one can get by using regular tools? I looked at the workshop manual (section 16) and it looks like Honda is asking to use 8 different special tools and attachments.
Any experiences are welcome. It's still cold and snowy out here, but the spring is round the corner
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
399 Posts
Haven't done one for the CTX yet but I have done them for many other bikes. Motion Pro has several tools that make steering head bearing replacement easy. I suggest that you get a couple race punches. One for the uppers and one for the lowers (they are different). As well as a steering head bearing seater.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think that if you don’t have a previous experience doing this kind of a job , You should NOT try to do it on the CTX. Yes you will need some special tools, also you will need a way to lift your front end( if you don’t have a center stand) , secure the bike...... . And the CTX is a heavy bike as you know. Better take it to a shop and let them do it, on the end it might be . If you decide to take it to the dealership, I’m guessing closest one to you is Honda of Des Plaines IL, give them a call and check with them when they can do it, because I find out that they are in the process of moving to a new location in Barrington IL.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
399 Posts
If you have no mechanical expertise then I agree. Otherwise, replacing steering bearings are straight forward. YOU MUST HAVE A HONDA SERVICE MANUAL (again, assuming you have some experience. Mechanics by trade can do replacement blindfolded and in their sleep). My best advice is to follow the manual and take your time - even if takes you a day or so.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. Yes, I do have workshop manual. I also have 'some' mechanical skills, however more of the theoretical/design flovour rather than practical skills :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:. I do better with electronics than mechanical work :cool:
I'd prefer to do the work on my motorcycle myself as long as I know what I'm doing. I have (usually) no problem with taking the bike to the shop AS LONG AS I trust the guys in the shop. Somehow, I think around west Chicago subs it's rather rare quality. The 'trust' I mean.
I do have the center stand, so that is certainly a plus for working on the front end. When I took off the front wheel to be re-balanced to see if the wobble was due to missing weights on the front wheel, it was simple task of putting some weight on the passenger seat to keep the front end up in the air. I should have taken a picture of my contraption!
Right now I'm trying to figure out if I want to do the head bearing replacement myself, get it to workshop (initial estimate of 5-6 hrs which is at least $500 to $800 in labour) or just keep my hands on handlebar at all time :). I have plenty of time to decide, as I'm not going to do anything near term: my garage is not heated and recently it was on a chilly side, here in norther Illinois. I'm leaning towards doing it myself at the mo. So any experiences and tips are welcome.
BTW, I've learned the hard way how heavy the CTX is. I was trying to do U-turn on an uphill, gravel side road... It was silly idea in hindsight. I laid it gently on the side, wheel pointing up the hill. Thanks to Menosbe guards (great product!), no damage done, but I had to hail down a guy in a pickup for help... took about 45 sec, maybe 50 sec and there were two pickups stopped and people willing to help! Both ex-bikers at it happened :) Rural Illinois for you. Fantastic.
Thanks for all the comments,
Take care,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts