CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My quest to turn my CTX into a custom cruiser started with the stereo. 1st: I replace the front stock speakers are 3.5" (4 omh setup by the way). I replace them 5.25" 2 way speakers. They sound so much better. 2nd: I ordered hard saddlebags that I could cut holes in for speakers. 3rd: I order 5.25 speakers for the hard saddlebags and a motorcycle amp. To my surprise the guy at the audio shop showed me where the factory audio unit was wired for 4 speakers and subwoofer. strange to me, unless they are looking to future models and options. So now I have four speakers all running off of a 4 channel amp. Sounds Great!

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
My quest to turn my CTX into a custom cruiser started with the stereo. 1st: I replace the front stock speakers are 3.5" (4 omh setup by the way). I replace them 5.25" 2 way speakers. They sound so much better. 2nd: I ordered hard saddlebags that I could cut holes in for speakers. 3rd: I order 5.25 speakers for the hard saddlebags and a motorcycle amp. To my surprise the guy at the audio shop showed me where the factory audio unit was wired for 4 speakers and subwoofer. strange to me, unless they are looking to future models and options. So now I have four speakers all running off of a 4 channel amp. Sounds Great!
Can you please take a pic of the front speakers? That is very interesting. Also a possible link to the speakers you installed would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The front still looks the same. The speakers are under the factory grill. you would not know it unless I told you or heard it. ; )

·
Registered
28 Posts
How did you fit 5.25" speakers behind the front grill? Don't see where there's room for that. Would like to know how you managed it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt do either one of the installs but i was present. There is plenty of room behind the grill. There is a speaker enclosure that the speakers mount to.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@Quitstormzx9,
While I'm not much into the stereo/music part, that is still a great mod.
I like the change in saddle bags more so. Were there any issues mounting the new bags?
Could you post a pic of them from a little further out and one from the rear?
From the pic above, they look really nice.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I like those bags!!!! That's how the CTX bags should of came!!!!

Please share details.

I've been flirting the idea of a speaker upgrade for mine. Maybe not woofers coming out the saddlebags but definitely an upgrade. However I totally dig this mod. More photos, please!!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I would like to know more about the boxes as well, manufacturer, mounting, etc...
I am not a big fan of the side opening stock boxes. Can't keep stuff from falling out when I open them.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
It looks good, I like the saddle bags too! :smiley-happy0034: I wouldn't mind upgrading to some better/bigger speakers myself although I'm not sure if I want to tackle it myself. I bet it does sound a whole lot better. What type/brand of speakers did you go with on the front in the fairing? I've had the w/s garnish off mine to swap out the w/s and I remember looking at the speaker boxes then, it didn't seem like they were very big. I was just curious how they mounted them in there??

A professional car audio shop did it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our stock bags 28x14x7.5. These bags 18x12.5x7.5. Much smaller but this was my 1st test. If your not concerned about having a flat surface on top of the bag for speakers, there a couple of bags that are much closer to the original size of our bags. I just used same bracket for our bags and drilled holes in the new bag to match.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
(...)To my surprise the guy at the audio shop showed me where the factory audio unit was wired for 4 speakers and subwoofer. strange to me, unless they are looking to future models and options. So now I have four speakers all running off of a 4 channel amp. Sounds Great!
Since nobody noticed, I'll call this BS. The OEM audio unit on the CTX1300 has only two speaker outputs, not four, nor five.

It does have unused circuits such as an AUX input and a headphone output, as well as output for discrete indicators in the dash (as opposed to the graphical ones we get on the CTX), but it surely does not have 4/5 discrete stereo amplified outputs.

You don't have to confirm or agree with me, I'm just mentioning this for technical completeness and for posterity, so that future people finding this thread via Google don't get fooled into taking the words of "the guy at the audio shop" for granted.

Reactions: bob and PGRChaplain

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I see they are viking bags what model of a bike did you buy them for and what brackets did you use on the bags to mount to your ctx. what type or model was the viking bags. they look nice in pictures of bags . can you put pictures of angles and bags on you bike thank you. what i can see they look like pretty nice bags.

thanks
moon

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used the bracket that came on our bike.

QUOTE=MOONDOG;127290]I see they are viking bags what model of a bike did you buy them for and what brackets did you use on the bags to mount to your ctx. what type or model was the viking bags. they look nice in pictures of bags . can you put pictures of angles and bags on you bike thank you. what i can see they look like pretty nice bags.

thanks
moon[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello, I also plan to do the 5 1/4" speaker upgrade as mentioned by others. I have not had the bike apart yet so my question is, to install the 5 1/4 " speakers in the 3 1/2" spaces is it a neat cut to size and mount of the speaker enclosure, or is it a complete hack job and not a good seal to the enclosure. Thank You. Pics would be very helpful if anyone has any they could share.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think the 5 1/4 would fit in the space where the factory speakers go the only one I could get too fit was a 4" and there will be alittle alteration with the speaker tabs to screw it in the plastic box for it. If the guy did put 5 1/4's in then the must have made some sort of custom box for it because a speaker out in the open would sound flat and have no bass response here are the four inch speakers in the factory locations

·
Registered
21 Posts
good morning everyone , I finally managed to nettere speakers posterio to ctx , plus I also installed a pioner amplifier, increasing the quality of the music and the level volume.adesso also to a more high -speed passenger can a.sentire well. sorry for the English, but use google translator

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts