21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Looks Good Benny! Nice Install.

·
Registered
23 Posts
factory unit wired for four speakers and subwoofer? the Honda Bluetooth Unit?

My quest to turn my CTX into a custom cruiser started with the stereo. 1st: I replace the front stock speakers are 3.5" (4 omh setup by the way). I replace them 5.25" 2 way speakers. They sound so much better. 2nd: I ordered hard saddlebags that I could cut holes in for speakers. 3rd: I order 5.25 speakers for the hard saddlebags and a motorcycle amp. To my surprise the guy at the audio shop showed me where the factory audio unit was wired for 4 speakers and subwoofer. strange to me, unless they are looking to future models and options. So now I have four speakers all running off of a 4 channel amp. Sounds Great!
Exactly what factory unit are you talking about please. I can't get anyone to tell me more about this. I don't want a bluetooth helmet suggestion please.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I now own the bike that the OP had custom speakers put in. It no longer has the aftermarket saddlebags or rear speakers. The front speakers are 5.25" Kicker. I probably never would of known if one of the speakers hadn't stopped working. As for the OP stating a professional shop did it I find that hard to believe. The reason the speaker stopped working was they spliced into the speaker output from the amp and it had came off. They only used crimp connectors and electrical tape. I went ahead and soldered all the connections and put some heat shrink tubing over everything. The speakers work well now and are pretty loud.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I now own the bike that the OP had custom speakers put in. It no longer has the aftermarket saddlebags or rear speakers. The front speakers are 5.25" Kicker. I probably never would of known if one of the speakers hadn't stopped working. As for the OP stating a professional shop did it I find that hard to believe. The reason the speaker stopped working was they spliced into the speaker output from the amp and it had came off. They only used crimp connectors and electrical tape. I went ahead and soldered all the connections and put some heat shrink tubing over everything. The speakers work well now and are pretty loud.

I believe what you found was an "industry standard" installation. Solder and heat-shrink is not common. I use solder and heat-shrink on most connections....if I can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe what you found was an "industry standard" installation. Solder and heat-shrink is not common. I use solder and heat-shrink on most connections....if I can.
I could see that being the standard for wiring inside a vehicle but would think they would solder anything that would be open to the elements. It appears at some point they soldered wires on and perhaps when they removed the saddle bag speakers they took the easy route and crimped the wires.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Since nobody noticed, I'll call this BS. The OEM audio unit on the CTX1300 has only two speaker outputs, not four, nor five.

It does have unused circuits such as an AUX input and a headphone output, as well as output for discrete indicators in the dash (as opposed to the graphical ones we get on the CTX), but it surely does not have 4/5 discrete stereo amplified outputs.

You don't have to confirm or agree with me, I'm just mentioning this for technical completeness and for posterity, so that future people finding this thread via Google don't get fooled into taking the words of "the guy at the audio shop" for granted.
Do you have documentation on this? I would love to hardwire a music player that has shuffle functions since the USB doesn't.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
446 Posts
21 - 28 of 28 Posts