CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my red deluxe last week and love everything about it except the grips are too small for my hands. Ordered Kury grips and installed them yesterday. The old grips were very easy to remove. Not even sure if they were glued. I have installed grips before without any problems so this is not new to me. The left side grip went on without and problems and stayed lined up with the marks I made. First mistake, I used the Kury glue that came with the grips. The throttle side grip is much tighter to slip on and somehow it twisted and was out of alignment. My fingers rested in the groove of the grip which felt terrible. There was no moving it once it set. After looking at it for several hours, I just had to fix it. I was able to remove the grip and throttle sleeve easily and took to my shop to work on it. After an hour of using every tool I could find to try to get between the grip and the tube, it was still securely stuck. I then notice that I had broken one of the tips that hold the throttle cable on. ([email protected]$#) Of course, the dealer didn't have any in stock. Should be here Friday. Anyway, I busted out the rest of the throttle tube and saved the new Kury grip. I wont be using the Kury glue again. I was unable to find any grip glue at the several bike shops in the area. This is a small town. Going to find something that will give me a little time to adjust if needed. Hope to be back on the road Friday.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I've used the wife's hair spray on several of my hand grip jobs. Usually you have time to do some adjusting as you noted was needed in your job.

Just a suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Sorry, man -- I hate when things like that happen. I know exactly what you mean, though -- I was lucky that my throttle side grip went on in almost the right position, because once it was all the way on, there was absolutely no moving it. It isn't exactly where I marked it, but it's close enough that it's still comfortable. The throttle boss helps a lot there, too -- if you don't have one, I highly recommend it.

I did something similar (only kinda stupid on my part) with the Thunderbird. Since I've always owned Honda's, all the throttles have been the same as this one -- the grip slides over a separate throttle tube. But the Triumph was like the Harleys, where the throttle tube and grip are one piece. I did not know this until I sliced off the rubber part of the grip to see a tube underneath with teeth and nubs and stuff that held the rubber part in place, which was never meant to be separated (although in my defense, the instructions for the grips I used at the time said this process would work with those factory grips). I tried anyway to grind it down (as the instructions suggested) and slide (FORCE) the grip over it, which failed miserably in every way possible short of actually bending the handlebar. First, it was so tight that the throttle wouldn't turn freely; second I broke one of the throttle cable end slots on the grip tube trying to work the jef'n thing on; and third, I mangled the tube and rubber parts so badly that I couldn't reuse them even if I wanted to. Talk about being sick over it -- the bike was only a couple of days old.

The dealer luckily had a pair of HD grips that worked with a little modification while I waited for the right set of Kury grips to arrive. These things happen. The good news was, I got very proficient at replacing those grips, throttle cables and all. :)

Anyway, I hope you're having the same crappy weather there that I am right now, so you're not missing too much riding time between now and Friday. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've used the wife's hair spray on several of my hand grip jobs. Usually you have time to do some adjusting as you noted was needed in your job.

Just a suggestion.
Used the hairspray instead of glue?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Yeah hair spray, no special brand. It's sticky enough and works in pinch.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I used hairspray with both my previous motorcycles, I bought the cheapest they had... Aquanet, I think. It was the same stuff I used for my potato gun! :)

Reactions: sleepngbear

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Ok, totally OT, but this I gotta hear. :520:
That potato gun was FUN! I made it with my brother out of PVC pipes and I used a grill igniter to make a spark. To fire it, you shoved a potato into the barrel, sprayed hair spray into the coffee-can-sized cylinder, screwed the cap on quick, and clicked the grill igniter. The spark inside made the hair spray explode, shooting the potato out of the barrel at an alarming speed with a quite satisfying sound. :)
Unfortunately, a hurricane we had many years ago gave us a flood which carried my precious potato gun away, never to be seen or heard from again. I have dreams where it was found by some South Pacific Islanders who had never had contact with civilization before, and it changed the course of their history. :D

Here's a link to more info on the type of aparatus I'm talking about:
The Original Potato Cannon

Reactions: sleepngbear

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Oh my, that's far too sophisticated!
I remember something similar when I was working as lifeguard at a golf club swimming pool during high school. It would shoot tennis balls and was made of maybe 5 pop/soda cans duck taped together end to end. Of course this was in the days when the cans were made of real aluminum and not the aluminum foil as they are today. Cut the ends off all but the last can on the end. Poke lots of holes in the top of that one, then tape on the last can. Poke a hole in the side of that one also. Squirt in some lighter fluid through that hole, shake the whole thing for a few seconds, drop in the tennis ball, aim, light the hole. Worked great, and projected that ball maybe 300 ft or more, as long as long as you didn't aim at the high dive support post that was 5 ft in front of you...
Now THAT was a stupid mistake! :eek:

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Oh my, that's far too sophisticated!
I remember something similar when I was working as lifeguard at a golf club swimming pool during high school. It would shoot tennis balls and was made of maybe 5 pop/soda cans duck taped together end to end. Of course this was in the days when the cans were made of real aluminum and not the aluminum foil as they are today. Cut the ends off all but the last can on the end. Poke lots of holes in the top of that one, then tape on the last can. Poke a hole in the side of that one also. Squirt in some lighter fluid through that hole, shake the whole thing for a few seconds, drop in the tennis ball, aim, light the hole. Worked great, and projected that ball maybe 300 ft or more, as long as long as you didn't aim at the high dive support post that was 5 ft in front of you...
Now THAT was a stupid mistake! :eek:
We did that exact same thing but with Pringle cans! :520:
Holy cow, I don't know how we survived! :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
My Uncle had a Norton, Ossa, Moto Guzzi Shop. Been using Hairspray since 1966.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just installed the Kury ISO grips a couple of weeks ago. The throttle grip got the wife's hair spray, and the other grip got a couple of wraps of electrical tape and a light coat of RTV. I'm hesitant on using glue, because I want the option of removing the grips if I need to without tearing them up. I let them set up for 2 days, and they are tight - no movement at all.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
446 Posts
We did that exact same thing but with Pringle cans! :520:
Holy cow, I don't know how we survived! :)
We had a similar "toy" but it was made using a single section of PVC pipe with a beer/soda can wedged in at one end. Similar pinhole to one side of the can and instead of lighter fluid, we would use calcium carbide and a bit of water (or spit) to generate acetylene. Same working principle when you light the hole :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Make sure you cover up your painted surfaces before spraying the hair spray. Hair spray absolutely destroys paint.
A few years ago it was a popular thing for vandals to hose down cars with this stuff destroying paint jobs. My brothers Monte Carlo SS got this treatment with devastating effect.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I learn from my stupid mistakes. I can repeat them exactly.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
[snipped]
Unfortunately, a hurricane we had many years ago gave us a flood which carried my precious potato gun away, never to be seen or heard from again. I have dreams where it was found by some South Pacific Islanders who had never had contact with civilization before, and it changed the course of their history. :D
You may have violated The Prime Directive!

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts