CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip for late April or early May through VA, MD, PA, NJ, and DE.

I was thinking about hitting DC on the way back and then riding the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway from end to end.

Is DC just a mess of city traffic? Is there anything in DC to make it worth the effort? Are there any good photo opportunities in DC where I could get a shot of my bike with something interesting in the background? I'm wondering if all the good sites in DC have been roped off to protect them from the bad guys.

I like shots like these:
CTX1300D - TennesseeSmith
Motorcycling - TennesseeSmith
2014 Vacation - TennesseeSmith

·
Registered
283 Posts
This will be a real challenge. I go to DC a lot and have racked my brain for the types of photo opps. you desire. The problem is one of motorcycle proximity. You just can't get close enough to any of the major attractions to get a photo. However, you can find all kinds of good food and entertainment. I would recommend you AVOID the beltway (I-495) like the plague.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm planning a trip for late April or early May through VA, MD, PA, NJ, and DE.

I was thinking about hitting DC on the way back and then riding the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway from end to end.

Is DC just a mess of city traffic? Is there anything in DC to make it worth the effort? Are there any good photo opportunities in DC where I could get a shot of my bike with something interesting in the background? I'm wondering if all the good sites in DC have been roped off to protect them from the bad guys.
I grew up around the area. Went to UMCP and hung out in DC
You MUST cruise through ... but a few zanax may help

First... DC almost seemed designed to confuse and delay ... local lore jokingly says the capital is "attack proof by street design" . And its almost true :)
The beltway is very unfriendly... aggressive and just **** at times. An example of driving there is the "beltway blitz" where you use the opposite turn signal to fool traffic into trying block you on the wrong side as you change lanes ....

But DC in May is a must! Its alive with personality.. the Cherry Blossom Festival is in full bloom and the capital is a must see, along with museums that are best in the world . Dont forget to have a beer in Georgetown!

Book hotel in downtown Baltimore at the inner harbor for some of the best walking and evening you can find anywhere! Its a little early in season but softshell "bay blue" crabs can be found. Crab shacks are often community style and everyone shares benches and tables and eats together. DOnt ask how to properly eat crabs in MD ... you will start a riot :)

Then continue on your trip, which, in my <mumble> hundreds of thousands of miles across the great USA is #1 !!! No better cycling anywhere!

Im envious... take lotssa pictures > I riding the same way in late august/ early september for the fall colors.
A quick hop into MD ( My old stomping grounds ) Is some great enchanting roads and sights.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have lived right outside DC since I was 6 months old. luckily my parents moved out of DC then. I was a Wash. DC firefighter for 4 years and took a 5000.00 pay cut to get out of that **** hole of a traffic night mare in 1981. Make sure you do NOT carry while in DC. tightest CDW laws on east coast but the deadliest city GO FIGURE.
Best bet DO NOT ride your bike downtown period.. Best Museums in the USA BUT TAKE THE METRO if you value your bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts