CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Menosabe's story about recording his ride for protection has convinced me to buy an action camera for the handlebars and car dashboard. Started looking and found too many choices...like buying a motorcycle.

I figure I want something small [bullet?], with good image stability, that can record while drawing power from the USB connection.

So far, I found only the two posts below about cameras. You guys just want to talk about riding! :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

Any other suggestions?

Prior posts
menosabe - I use the Sony as100v. The best things about this camera is image stability and endless power when plugged into micro USB.
Barrettmusicman1 - I have a Polaroid XS100 that comes with a handlebar mount....

Reactions: psullam

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I uploaded a video of my ride at Cresson motorsport ranch in Cresson, Tx. The video is taken with a Sony as100v. The track is only 1.3 miles so there is a lot of acceleration/braking going on. Cons with camera are built in gps speedometer isn't very accurate because of the short distance traveled. Then again not all cameras have this feature. The map on the right is accurate since I was going round and round in a double horseshoe track. Pros are the image quality and image stability. As most of you know, Youtube videos are highly compressed for many reasons. The actual image is much better than what you see on Youtube. If you can put up with most of the video, my wife is on her CTX1300 and in the last three minutes of video. She said the instructors had to retrain her on everything she thought was right. She also said there was a lot of peg scraping going on.
Instructors are on sport bikes and they do circles around us. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfDExNUzugU

Reactions: dwar812

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Forgot to mention, you probably don't need to buy the wrist mounted remote control if you decide to buy this camera.($100) Sony has a App that connects the camera to your smart phone and does the same thing. Download at Playstore or Itunes

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"The video is taken with a Sony as100v"

Yeah, so far I have narrowed down my choices to this one. Where do you mount it? Looks like the right bracket from the video. I was thinking of there or the right corner of the windshield.

Did you buy a mount, or use one in the kit with the cam?

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I bought it through Amazon and there are so many options it's crazy. The camera only has a bottom mount option so I bought the pivot mount with 3m adhesive. I also bought the extra battery w/ charger. The extra batteries package last just over an hour but you can plug into the micro usb port and run as long your micro SD card will hold. Don't forget your smart phone will control the camera remotely.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
As you noted I use the Polaroid version. Price was right for me as well as the basic features. Takes great video but if you're looking for a lot more features and add ons looks like the as100 by Sony would be the way for you to go.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I use the Garmin VIRB remote camera controlled by a tap on the garmin GPS screen start/ stop video and for that sudden still shot you just have to have,, even while recording video. plugs into usb power supply while riding if you want it to always be powered up.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Kniterider, That's a cool feature on the Garmin VIRB.
I forgot to mention that I also have a JVC adixxion camera. It was my first camera and comes with a digital zoom that can't be turned up very high because image starts to distort at 25% zoom. I record with Sony pointed forward and JVC pointed backward.
If you are going to be uploading your images to youtube only, the high megapixel cameras are not as important as image stability. Being able to turn the camera on/off remotely would be a important option for me. My Sony as100v with a 64G card records 16 hours if plugged into the usb power.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sony as100v- gettin' it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought it through Amazon and there are so many options it's crazy. The camera only has a bottom mount option so I bought the pivot mount with 3m adhesive. I also bought the extra battery w/ charger. The extra batteries package last just over an hour but you can plug into the micro usb port and run as long your micro SD card will hold. Don't forget your smart phone will control the camera remotely.
Just discovered this is not the case. From the manual:
"Charging is not possible when the camera is turned on."

Since I ride more than 2 hours per day, I'm not sure now if I will keep the camera. And if I can even return it. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Garmin VIRB can is controlled from the zumo590 and you can charge the cam as you are riding..
Thanks KR! You inspired me to return the Sony...just two days b4 the 30 day return ran out:smiley-happy0034:

I'll look at the Garmin now. It's been discontinued according to Amazon, thus cheaper now.

I don't use a GPS, as a ride just a fraction of the miles you do:D.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks KR! You inspired me to return the Sony...just two days b4 the 30 day return ran out:smiley-happy0034:

I'll look at the Garmin now. It's been discontinued according to Amazon, thus cheaper now.

I don't use a GPS, as a ride just a fraction of the miles you do:D.

WOW did not realize they had an improved version of the VIRB action cam,, It still does all the stuff my 2 year old one does but now a WHOLE LOT more and can now be controlled by smart phones and my garmin zumo. and watch it on my smart phone.. HMMM might have to upgrade and mount my old one on tail trunk just to remember where I have been
Garmin web site does not even show my first gen version of the VIRB cam

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I just got back from vacation and recorded 16 hours of video on the Sony camera plugged into the USB micro port. No battery changes and fully charged battery the entire time. I'm not sure where you read that charging is not possible, but it is. You can come by my house and we will watch all 16 hours, unedited. NOT.
Don't work, it works.
By the way, a bird did a straight on komakazi dive into my camera and knocked the camera off the bike mount. Good thing it was attached to the USB cable. Camera 1, bird 0

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Problem now is finding the spot in the 16 hours where that happened. Camera setting is to record 1 1/2 hours and that creates 1 file. Then it starts a new file. I hope to post a video tonight on you tube that won't bore the viewers too much.

Reactions: bob

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got back from vacation and recorded 16 hours of video on the Sony camera plugged into the USB micro port. No battery changes and fully charged battery the entire time. I'm not sure where you read that charging is not possible, but it is. You can come by my house and we will watch all 16 hours, unedited. NOT.
Don't work, it works.
By the way, a bird did a straight on komakazi dive into my camera and knocked the camera off the bike mount. Good thing it was attached to
the USB cable. Camera 1, bird 0
The quote I posted comes straight from the manual. When I plug in the camera to my computer or the CTX USB cable, the camera displays "USB", just as the manual says. I only see the charging mode with the camera powered off, again as specified in the manual. I dunno what else to do.
And I may be SOL on returning the camera for refund, as I no longer have the Handbook manual. If I can't get the charging to work, I'll either need to buy extra batteries or sell it used and replace it. Unless you want to trade me for yours...mine is newer....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts