CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sincere empathy to all of you living in northern latitudes. But today, here in Myrtle Beach SC, it will be sunny with a high in the 60's. I'm going RIDING..... :smiley-happy0034: And better yet, the days are getting longer.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Swell. I've got ice on the ground from yesterday's snow, and now we're looking at a blizzard tomorrow night through Tuesday into Wednesday. I hate New England winters.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
This winter is unusually mild for here. Was 52F yesterday, so went for a nice ride. Only 35F today with rain/snow mix earlier but now melting away. Will be 55F by Wednesday so will be riding to work all week... except maybe Thursday... expecting rain overnight before that and depending on if the temp falls lower than expected may end up with ice that morning.

Not 60s but still nice enough to ride when the sun stays out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Im pretty twitchy when I dont ride for days.. in Denver its been WEEKS . Today its high fifties , and this week will be approaching 70. Watch my dust

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
46F This morning (B'ham), rode 46 miles. That's right. 1 mile for each degree.
Open face helmet, drizzle and no rain suit. Coat & gloves.
I was able to smile without getting any bugs in my teeth!!!!!
:smileygarden_de_ban <---my fav coz he shows how I feel about my CTX.

·
Registered
413 Posts
No riding for me lately...been frequently snowing and the temps haven't risen over 40*F for weeks. CTX looks eager parked in the back of the garage.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I'm at a toasty 18* F right now, with about a foot of new blizzard wind-driven snow on the ground and 6-12" more on the way before it's all over tonight. Afraid the CTX is going to be looking at the back wall of the garage for quite some time to come. :(

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
That's one that, thankfully, missed us entirely... this time. Sunny and 46°F again today, sunny and 54°F tomorrow. So for me, it's my cage that gets to continue staring at the wall in the garage. :)
But what I don't get is how this storm hits the NE and it's almost on the level of a national disaster and called the blizzard of the century, and the exact same thing hits us in the Midwest (and it has many times in the last 15 years with 2-3 ft of snow and 45-65 mph winds, why I bought a 2 stage snow thrower for a 45 ft driveway!) and there's no mention of it nationally until it arrives on the east coast. Also, we don't shut down for something like this. We just take vacation time IF we choose to come in to work late, and schools delay a few hours. But that's about it.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
But what I don't get is how this storm hits the NE and it's almost on the level of a national disaster and called the blizzard of the century, and the exact same thing hits us in the Midwest (and it has many times in the last 15 years with 2-3 ft of snow and 45-65 mph winds, why I bought a 2 stage snow thrower for a 45 ft driveway!) and there's no mention of it nationally until it arrives on the east coast.
Because the idiot news media will do anything for more attention, and there's a lot more of us here to get attention from than there, and there are more idiots per capita here that just eat that stuff up like a steak dinner. The same media that for some reason thinks it's a good idea to name winter storms. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

Bitter towards the media much? Yes, I am. :515:

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Well, expecting cooler weather to move in tonight... finally? And not so sunny either!
Been relatively warm all week, lows in low 30s to highs in upper 30s to 50s. Expecting lows in single digits the first few days of February.
Now WE have a winter storm warning and expect 7+ inches of white powder starting tonight through tomorrow noon with lots of high winds. Points east in the state are due for 9+ inches. Gee, just like last week in NY... only no national media hype about it!!! Oh, and before the snow starts to fall it is now raining (just lunch time here now) and will be raining all the rest of the day until the temps cool enough for the snow to start. That wonderful combination of lots of wet becoming frozen and then lots of snow overlaying it to make it even more slick... just another more normal winter day in the Midwest though.

Since I know there will be no 2 wheel riding for at least a few days... or maybe a week after this snow fall I had to get out before it arrived. So I took a little ride of just over an hour and a half, about 57 miles. Temps this morning were 38*F when I started and warmed up to 40*F before I was half way around. There was a very light mist falling and pavement was mostly dry with some wet areas. It dried up as I went along. Within a half hour after returning a light drizzle started and is continuing to increase. As I said, this is expected all day today with snow starting tonight on top of it. Was nice to get out one more time before I am confined to the cage. Now my wife wants me to do some painting in the kitchen.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thankfully, there have been very few days that I didn't ride somewhere this winter. Only time I don't ride is if it is raining when I start out.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Update: steady rain changed over to a very wet snow about 2 pm, earlier than expected. NWS and local weather prognosticators have updated their totals now to add another 2-3 inches here so a total by Sunday midnight at 9+ inches. Snow thrower will get a workout tomorrow for sure. Doubt the roads will be clear enough for riding for most of the week at least.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts