CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I screw up my bike I wanted to get an opinion from you guys. I have those LunaSee lights installed to make my rims glow while riding at night. I set up a relay and a switch so that when I start the bike, I press a momentary push button switch to activate the relay and keep it in the ON position until the bike is turned off. The relay activates the lights. I did it this way so that the LunaSee lights wouldn't be on all the time (like during the day), just when I wanted them on. To be honest I wasn't sure I'd like those lighted rims all the time at night.

After having them for awhile I LOVE those lights and want them always on while driving at night. But I keep forgetting to press the button to activate the relay every time I start the bike.

Ideally I'd like to use the high/low switch to toggle that relay so that if the high beams are ON (for daytime riding), the LunaSee lights are OFF...and vice versa. So I need to tap into that circuit. I have a service manual and have identified the wire that I need to get to.

My dilemma is that it doesn't appear to run down into the area under the seat, where I have everything wired up. I suspect I might be able to get to it if I removed the main housing (the one that contains the gas cap cover). How hard is that to get off and then put back? So far I've been able to fish everything through that housing without removing it. So, for you guys that have done more extensive work: how much disassembly and reassembly am I looking at?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
It's not really too bad. I find I can do most of what I want without really removing it all the way but just enough to slide it back to get to the front part under it. I put a plastic jar lid just big enough to cover the gas opening and all is good there. You do need the middle cowls on each side removed, which normally means also the radiator cowls. Also the storage pockets. Don't forget to unplug the button bars. Two bolts up front and a screw and plastic pin on each side in back.

Will you be using pin 87A on the relay so there is power to the LunaSee lights when High beam is off?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Don't know about the electrical part of your question, but as for as removing body panels that part which has the fuel door is called "Top Shelter" and to remove it 1st you will need to take off your seat, then both inner panels, then remove both storage compartments, then both sides of the engine shrouds (the black panels that say CTX on them), then remove mid cowling on both sides and unplug the wiring from the switches that are on the top shelter then you can remove the top shelter. I know it sounds like a lot, but it really doesn't take all that long. Most of the panels have the little push pins, or just pop on. Just be patient and take your time! Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
On the purely electrical side, I would be very careful with tapping into anything in the OEM harness. There's another forum member around here that fried their rear lights that way ;-)

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it requires knowing what you're doing. The CTX's electrics are a lot less tolerant of sloppy jobs than your average classic bike.

Reactions: bob

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This sounds a LITTLE involved but not too bad. I've had some of those pieces off before to do some of the early electrical projects, so some of it sounds familiar. And yes, I will design the circuit in such a way that the relay is hopefully only energized while I'm riding at night (i.e., the high beams are off). I expect the 87A connector will be involved.

I'm pretty comfortable with doing the wiring stuff. This is my third bike with extensive electrical farkles, so I'm fairly confident of my abilities. Thanks for the caution, though.

With a couple,of big rides coming up, I think I will leave well enough alone for now, but this sounds like a good project for a cold, rainy Saturday in the fall.

Thanks, guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts