CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have had a chance to spend some time pushing the CTX around to get a feel for it.

Overall it's a great bike. I can't seem to find a problem with the bike that would stop me from buying it.

I liked it's ability to recover after I pushed it hard left and right into sharp corners. It has strong brakes a strong engine and a really comfy stock seat and riding position.

I didn't like (more like, I was a little uncomfortable) with it's dipping on the front under hard braking and a bit of a wobble when hard accelerating out of a corner. But I'm also not used to the CTX.

What irrated me the most was the CRAPPY pocket hinges for the USB and storage. They are to coin a phrase sh!t.... especially for a Honda? They were difficult to open and to re close.

The left indicator cover wasn't clipped on properly, neither was the left hand side clips for the fairing. I closed them up easily enough but 1 was unclipped on my return form the test ride? Is that normal or just a crappy Demo bike?

Small things aside I was very happy. I will digest my Test ride and pick a replacement from my two favourites.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Congrats on the test ride.
Yes, it seems to be the norm for the left cover to not fit right. There is another thread addressing the cover and a clip that is damaged from the manufacturer on a too frequent basis.
I agree with the pocket issues. They are too small and low quality, but they do work. The saddlebags are not as good as I would expect either.
Having said all that...I still prefer this Honda to others...I've owned and had problems with all. The closest I've came to liking another brand was the Burgman 650 (Right Bob?).
I can accept the pocket lids, but wish the pockets were bigger/deeper.
I haven't taken anything apart yet, but I'm planning on tinkering or hoping someone else does and finds a better storage resolution for the front.

Reactions: BamBam

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Right @willajabir, about the Burgman 650. Though I did like the GW best before the CTX1300 the Burgman was very close to being as comfy and was a very good ride. Just not the best for LD riding. The CTX1300 is THE bike I've been wanting since selling my GW. And I sold the GW for 2 big reasons. 1- not great mpg for a mc so didn't live up to my desires there. 2- too bulky and massive making it a struggle for me to manage it in tight or congested situations like parking lots and close down town traffic. The CTX solves both those issues and fulfills many other desires I've wanted to retain, like LD ride comfort and very good power at any speed that I want to go.

Check out THIS thread if you haven't already on that tab issue for the battery cover. Since I replaced my middle fairing and "fixed" the tab I've had no problems with that cover.

I also am at peace with the front storage pockets. It's all about your frame of mind and deciding to use them as they are rather than trying to force them to be what they are not. Just like the whole bike overall. I keep a pen, tire gauge, retractable helmet lock in the left smaller pocket. I keep a SD card and reader with all my music and a few other small items in the right pocket, but it's mostly empty most of the time. I use a tail roll bag (see my photos in my signature link) to put anything in that I like to carry with me for work or sometimes even when shopping since it's easy to just pick up the bag and go. Bigger stuff goes in the panniers of course. And when on a mc camping trip I have some dry bags for my pack. It works very well for me.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I haven't taken anything apart yet, but I'm planning on tinkering or hoping someone else does and finds a better storage resolution for the front.
It's not technically "part" of the bike, but one of the best things I've found to use is a bicycle handlebar bag from Walmart. I don't have a pic on my computer right now, but it fits perfectly between the bends of the bar, and secures with two wide velcro bands at the back. I think it was like $9, and it holds my baseball cap, phone, and a pair of gloves with more room to spare. It's black and gray, and it has reflective piping. I wish it was all black, but still... it was dirt cheap, it's sturdy, and it works great.

Here's a link to it: Bell Stowaway 350 Handlebar Bag, Black - Walmart.com

The top handle does NOT stick up like it shows in the picture, and it doesn't show the two velcro loops behind it. They secure on either side of the handlebar clamp.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Thanks Shane,
I already tried mounting a fanny pack on the bars as I did on my Burgy, but it looked terrible.
I just left Wally World...Now I'm going back to see if they have this in stock.

Reactions: shane
1 - 5 of 5 Posts