CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an arranged a test ride next week to run the bike through it's pace's.

I have a small concern with the power... I'm currently riding a Suzuki M109R with a couple of extra HP from bolt ons. I have 125 ish HP so I hope it's not to much of a noticible loss, especially two up. I am a little surprised they de-tuned it from the St1300... I understand the explanation but am still surprised. Considering the VFR1200 is an amazing power plant and 160HP?maybe they could have de-tuned that?
Just thinking out loud. I love the bike externally and it's options. And at the moment I can get a scorching deal on one. So it all needs to be weighed up.

I'll let you all know my thoughts next week after the comparison. I will ride my M109 there and back to get the feel

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a R1200 GSW and after a road accident (no harm, a miracle), I decided to make it slow. I bought a CTX because when I tested it, I was really surprised by the confort, smoothness etc. I discovered there where suspension issues (the front is too weak, the rear is much too hard) and if the engine could easily be stronger, the fact is that on bumpy roads, you wouldn't take it. So, after 5000 km, I traded it with a 1800 Valkyrie (decent power, fabulous sound, flat six, suspension all right) :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Hi BamBam,

Don't be dissuaded by the power specs -- they don't tell the whole story. In fact they don't come close to telling the story.

I used to ride a VTX1800 (also with the requisite bolt-ons), so I'm familiar with stump-pulling torque, too. In fact it holds the record for the longest stay in my garage (5 years). While the CTX1300 won't do the wookie thing and pull your arms out of their sockets, it is certainly not lacking for power. It has a longer and much flatter torque curve then most other machines, and the bulk of that torque is available where you are most likely to use it on this kind of a ride. Which means you don't have to ride it like you hate it to get the power out of it, like just about any sport bike. That's the reason for the 'de-tuning' (a term I heartily disagree with, having owned a ST1300 at one time as well).

You'll find that it won't have the instant lurch of your M109, but it will have longer legs -- it will stay in the power band for much higher RPM's. I think you'll also find that it's handling and braking are more precise. And depending on your riding position preference, you'll find it much more comfortable on longer rides. And it's extremely capable for two-up riding as well. It hauls me and my wife around without a a sweat, and we're a combined 400 or so lbs.

Which brings up another word of caution -- being used to the clamshell riding position of the M109, be sure to give yourself the time to get used to the more upright position of the CTX. Your feet are more under you, but not nearly as much as a sport bike or even a sport tourer. It's very relaxed, but still takes enough of the weight off your tail bone to allow much longer non-stop time in the saddle.

As I noted, it's not the torque monster that a large V-twin is. That V-4 has a character all its own, with performance traits about right smack in the middle of a heavy cruiser and a sport tourer. As long as you go into it without neck-snapping V-twin performance expectations, and instead tune into its comfort and overall rideability, I think you'll be impressed.

I'll be curious to see you impressions after your ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts