CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dealers with CTX1300's near me seem scarce. One said they don't do test rides but could hook me up with one if I came in and we agreed to numbers and I applied for financing! That's a strong commitment going into a "test ride" eh?

Finally found another who said "sure, as long as you have a license. Come in and ask for Gordy!" Now we're talking! Can't wait to try this bike out.

The only Deluxe this dealer has is blue. Based on pics online that's been my least favorite of the 3 US colors (I'd actually love the white if we could get it!) but it's growing on me. I think it might be that the blue doesn't photograph well. It reminds me of an old Jeep color called Gunmetal. But then I found one pic on google taken in really bright sun and loved it:

Is that a color-distorted shot or does the blue really look that prominent in the sun?

Jeff

Attachments

Reactions: bob

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
One of the reasons I do like the Ion Blue is that it changes color depending on the light! So it's kind of like I have a different bike in different lighting :D

Yes, in certain bright sunlight situations that is what it looks like.

In dark, cloudy, gray lighting (or absence of good lighting) it takes on more the gray look and in certain really dark conditions even can look gray/black.

I really don't see those changes with the other colors IMO. Maybe it's just my eyes.

Oh, and congrats on finding a place to give it a test ride!!! :smileygarden_de_ban

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An update on this: I went to see the CTX on Saturday but I was running too late in the day to have time for a test ride. I'm going to have to go back this coming weekend.

Based on walking around and sitting on the bike, I'm pretty much convinced it's perfect. I love the seat. I love the bars, seems just right in width and pullback. I even think the mirrors would work for me. I really dig the cockpit view.

They had a red standard model parked outside as a demo for rides and a blue deluxe inside on the showroom floor. The blue looks more gray inside in lower light. And in person I'm thinking the red has that same quality where the sunlight makes the color really pop out where in some low-light pictures I know that red can seem almost maroon. Not sure which color I prefer.

This dealer seems to have discounted their CTX's by $500. The deluxe was marked down to $16,999.

I started thinking I could probably get a great deal on their slightly used red demo model, but I'm not sure I could handle having those speaker grilles and bank of switches staring at me knowing they're nonfunctional. Has anyone added the audio system to a non-deluxe? I think I could live without the TC and ABS, having never had those features on a motorcycle previously.

They also had a red 2013 F6B out front, marked down to $16,999. Sat on it, but was a little turned off by the extra bulk, actually disliked how it feels narrower inside the thighs/knees than the CTX. I might "graduate" to that Wing-class bike someday but it doesn't feel right for me now at all, even if it is a steal.

Can't wait to go back and ride the CTX.

On a side note, I really liked the vibes at this dealership (West Hills Honda outside Pittsburgh). Nice people, even nice customers coming and going. The sales guy, Gordy, was happy to stand and talk and we kept chatting until they were clearly past closing time, without any weird pressure or attitude. That's worth a lot to me.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Sounds like you found a place to buy your new CTX! :) I'd say pick whichever color you want and buy it already! :smiley-happy0034: The more I look at mine the more I fall in love with it. I just love the sleekness of the styling of this bike! I think the F6B is a nice bike, but would be too bulky for me personally. I just think the styling of how everything flows on the CTX is much better! It rides and handles sweet too!

An update on this: I went to see the CTX on Saturday but I was running too late in the day to have time for a test ride. I'm going to have to go back this coming weekend.

Based on walking around and sitting on the bike, I'm pretty much convinced it's perfect. I love the seat. I love the bars, seems just right in width and pullback. I even think the mirrors would work for me. I really dig the cockpit view.

They had a red standard model parked outside as a demo for rides and a blue deluxe inside on the showroom floor. The blue looks more gray inside in lower light. And in person I'm thinking the red has that same quality where the sunlight makes the color really pop out where in some low-light pictures I know that red can seem almost maroon. Not sure which color I prefer.

This dealer seems to have discounted their CTX's by $500. The deluxe was marked down to $16,999.

I started thinking I could probably get a great deal on their slightly used red demo model, but I'm not sure I could handle having those speaker grilles and bank of switches staring at me knowing they're nonfunctional. Has anyone added the audio system to a non-deluxe? I think I could live without the TC and ABS, having never had those features on a motorcycle previously.

They also had a red 2013 F6B out front, marked down to $16,999. Sat on it, but was a little turned off by the extra bulk, actually disliked how it feels narrower inside the thighs/knees than the CTX. I might "graduate" to that Wing-class bike someday but it doesn't feel right for me now at all, even if it is a steal.

Can't wait to go back and ride the CTX.

On a side note, I really liked the vibes at this dealership (West Hills Honda outside Pittsburgh). Nice people, even nice customers coming and going. The sales guy, Gordy, was happy to stand and talk and we kept chatting until they were clearly past closing time, without any weird pressure or attitude. That's worth a lot to me.

Jeff

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you found a place to buy your new CTX! :) I'd say pick whichever color you want and buy it already! :smiley-happy0034: The more I look at mine the more I fall in love with it. I just love the sleekness of the styling of this bike! I think the F6B is a nice bike, but would be too bulky for me personally. I just think the styling of how everything flows on the CTX is much better! It rides and handles sweet too!
I'm actually looking to make my bike purchase for early next season. I got into this whole thing cause I figured it might take a few months to narrow down what I wanted and I'd want to spend that time going on test rides and comparing dealers, etc. Then be ready to pull the trigger as soon as the snow melts.

I'm undecided on whether I'm keeping, trading, or going to privately sell my Bonneville.

That $1000 in accessory money is sorely tempting me to spring on this sooner, but if I jumped now I'd have to sell the Bonneville for sure to cover some other home-related expenses, and it would feel rushed.

If I manage to wait, come the spring I'll probably have set a record for the most active member on this forum who doesn't actually own the bike.

(In the back of my mind, I'm dreaming that the blue CTX deluxe in the showroom will be hugely discounted come February or March and I can scoop it up when I'm ready!)

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Just a few points:
* I fell in love with the CTX when I was shopping for a Valk or F6B. Sat on the CTX1300 and it felt perfect.
* I didn't even hear the motor run until I had already signed my name on the papers, I am SO glad I loved it... because by the time I could tell, it was already "mine."
* I was planning on getting a new bike by the end of August/ early September. But I fell so hard for the CTX that I talked the salesman into zero down payment and three months deferred first payment. I have had a FANTASTIC summer of riding. :)
* It's just my opinion, but I would go for the Deluxe version. I sat on a standard model in the showroom, and remember thinking about how much I would hate the nonfunctional speaker grills and the fake buttons. Also... the TC has saved my bacon at least once already on a slippery ramp, and the ABS is great peace of mind (and could potentially keep me from sliding out in some situations. I know I left black marks often enough on my other bikes that I thought hard about that one).

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm liking your thinking with the Deluxe model. I know I would at least have to add the audio system as an accessory just to fix the nonfunctional speaker grills, and that's like an $850 upgrade, so might as well just spring for the deluxe and get the ABS and TC along with it. I don't really need an audio system but have imagined it could be cool to stream audio with turn-by-turn directions from my iPhone for those scenarios when you're getting close to an unfamiliar neighborhood and don't want to stop to look up where to turn. Sure, I could add a GPS but I'm disinclined towards visual distractions while riding.

I also don't know what it's like to regularly ride a 750lb bike, so maybe I really want the ABS and TC. I know my Bonneville well enough to stay out of trouble and avoid lockups and spinning the rear, the same won't apply on the CTX for a good long while.

Deferred payments are an interesting notion. I think I hate you for feeding that thought into my brain.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Just a few points:
* I fell in love with the CTX when I was shopping for a Valk or F6B. Sat on the CTX1300 and it felt perfect.
* I didn't even hear the motor run until I had already signed my name on the papers, I am SO glad I loved it... because by the time I could tell, it was already "mine."
I started falling in love when I read the first article that this bike was coming. Funny thing is, I was reading an article on the then upcoming Valkyrie when I saw mention of it being the second new model Honda would introduce this year, the other of which being a V-4. At that point I went on a mad search to find every bit of information I could on this new wonder (stumbling on this very forum in the process), because this is the bike I'd been wanting Honda to build for about 10 years. I hadn't even seen one up close before I put a deposit down. :eek:

And by the way, it has not disappointed. In fact it's more than I could have designed myself. I would have done something more open, more VTX-like. What's been delivered is actually more comfortable and usable than anything I could have come up with.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did my test ride today on a red standard model. This bike is awesome! Loved every minute of it. Initially felt a little awkward dealing with the weight in the hilly/bumpy parking lot of the dealer, but once I started moving, the CTX just flowed for me. Somehow riding it made more sense within a few minutes than riding any other bike I've been on, like the size, position, and handling were just spot on for me. Pretty much what I expected when I first sat on it, but still amazing to feel it really happening.

I've read mixed reviews on the cockpit area inside the fairing but I've got to say, I think Honda nailed it. I love everything about seeing those analog gauges and the LCD info screen in the middle, it's visible and looks great to me. I just wanted to sit there and keep looking at it even after my test ride was over.

Loved it on the back roads and on the highway. Unsure about the wind protection -- would need a long ride at sustained highway speed for sure to know whether I really NEED the tall windshield or if I could get away with the short one. I certainly didn't get buffeting on my Nolan N43 helmet, just some even wind resistance.

But I'll have the option to choose shortly; we worked numbers for a preliminary deal that we may finalize Monday. ;-) I'd get the rear trunk, heated grips, and tall windscreen as part of the accessories deal, and they'd install the heated grips for me once they came in.

Jeff

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should add that while I test rode a red standard model, I'm going to buy the Deluxe in blue.

Bob, you always call that color Ion Blue, but Honda's site just calls it "Gray Blue Metallic." Where'd you read "Ion Blue?"

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Almost all, or maybe just ALL, the non-USA descriptions and most of the OEM parts supply lists indicate it as Ion Blue. I started out calling it Gray Blue Metallic, but Ion Blue takes less typing. Same color. Looks great whatever you want to call it. :D
While on the PowerSports Honda web site for US, the available colors item in the specifications still says Gray Blue Metallic, the accessories states simply... Blue.

My wife says I'm color blind anyway so I might be wrong. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d :rolleyes:

BTW- noticed just now that both the top case and the passenger backrest in (Blue) are listed now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts