CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the idea and design of the 1300 so I took a test ride I wanted to love it and buy it .it felt uncomfortable to wide of a seat the bars didn't work for me .it jilted over bumps bar risers are to long my back was hurting ? It was a hot day high 90 engine heat was very good engine and trans perfect I could feel the weight of this bike I didn't feel in complete control I am 58 at 155 had many sport touring bikes now I ride a aprilia futura and a honda 500x I ride to work and some trips the mirrors were terrible wind protection was ok the 1300 needs more of something s and less of other things maybe it's me but I dont think so at this price I should see whats behind me easily

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
All reasonable criticisms. Some of them you can fix, like additional mirrors or adjusting the height of the bars or modifying the seat. Others you get used to, e.g. the weight difference between yours and the CTX. The jolts in the bars you can fix and gets better with some miles.

As for cost, right now you won't find a better price for what you get, what with Honda's $3,000 discount and low financing.

All that said, you gotta be happy with what you buy. Good luck with your choice. Shopping is fun.

Reactions: psullam

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Every rider needs to find their own ride. And no one expects that to be the same bike for all. Sounds like you do better on a S-T style bike. The CTX1300 has the same engine as the ST1300, but tuned differently for a different style of riding. The weight is the same on both these bikes. If you think this one is heavy try a test ride on a GL1800 or F6B! After some miles on mine (I have over 12200 miles now) the shocks and forks are as good or better than my ST1100 that was riding just before this one. It's all a matter of what you are used to and what you prefer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
if you ride a cb500x
I just took one for a test ride for a play toy, very interested in the rally raid bike
it is the easiest bike I think I have ever ridden
it wont win races but what a great bike
and yes would be very different then the 1300

·
Registered
110 Posts
Glad you took a test ride and determined the CTX1300 is probably not the bike for you, instead of purchasing it and then complaining about the bike. The motorcycle market is quite large with vast array of different style bikes for different riders. Many of the adventure style bikes are too tall for me so I stay away from them. I've never been interested in a sport bike, or dirt bikes. There are great bikes in each of those categories, but they don't fit my interests. I hope you enjoy the rides you have, and perhaps another that fits your interests and needs will come along in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 1300 is. Still on my mind. I don't. Why the seat. Is. So wide I thought. It. Would more comfortable

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 500 has 18000 miles. Just put a new chain. On it. 17000. I had new tires. Mounted. Great gas 60 plus. I did get a different seat

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am 58 at 155 easily
I'm testing the waters and reading a lot about the CTX. Harsh suspension seems to be a common complaint. Philip weighs about half what I do so the suspension may be just right for me, add my wife at 135 for 2 up and it might be a little soft.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking at more pics of the 1300 it appears the tires are of the low sidewall profile variety. Perhaps this contributes to the complaint of harsh suspension? I do not comprehend the current fascination with stretching rubber bands over a metal ring and calling it a tire. Maybe that's why they call me oldskool.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Looking at more pics of the 1300 it appears the tires are of the low sidewall profile variety. Perhaps this contributes to the complaint of harsh suspension? I do not comprehend the current fascination with stretching rubber bands over a metal ring and calling it a tire. Maybe that's why they call me oldskool.
Another easy fix for the "harshness" of the suspension is replace the rear tire, After only 800 miles on mine I yanked the stock tire off and installed the bridgestone run flat. At only 28-32 PSI it rides much softer and increases your load tire capacity especially for 2 up with your most valuable cargo. harshness is gone instantly plus reduced threat of a catastrophic loss of air under you and your passenger

·
Registered
10 Posts
Philip i am 59 years old, 5'4" tall with only a 27 inch inseam. At first i wasn't sure about the CTX either. I loved the motor and transmission and Honda quality etc etc....I wasn't comfortable with the seat height, weight of bike and how wide the seat felt. I had the seat cut down ( about an inch and a half as well as narrowed in the front ) It immediately felt better. With each ride i began to appreciate the bike and also gained more confidence in terms of controlling the bike. Four thousand kilometres later i can confidently say this is one of the best motorcycles i have ever owned and ridden. Not perfect but one hec of a bike. ( By the way i have been fortunate to have owned and ridden 35 different motorcycles since 1996. Bmw's,Harley's, Ducati's Dual Sport rides and Sportbikes. In fact the CTX gave me so much confidence that i just purchased a 1985 Goldwing 1200 that i find easier to ride than my CTX.......just under 800 pounds.......Don't give up the the CTX, its definately a great bang for the buck....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts