CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the new September issue of Motorcyclist magazine they do cruiser comparison with the CTX1300 and the Star V Star 1300. I didn't see the article online, but maybe they will post it later.

The V Star is a very conventional Harley clone. They appreciate that it is well executed and delivers exactly what is expected. They are confused by the CTX, however. They applaud Honda's bravery but can't determine who they are marketing to and speculate that it may be a well engineered product looking for an audience.

As a relatively new motorcyclist (4 years) I don't really understand the need to fit all bikes into categories. I have tended to favor Standard style bikes, but have been frustrated by the lack of bikes in between categories-- like a mid-size Standard bike with touring features. The CTX is the closest match I found (although I wish it was 100 lbs. lighter.)

What do you guys think of the categorization obsession? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
764 Posts
The North American motorcycle market is different than the markets in other parts of the world. Most folks here don't buy a bike for transportation. They get one to be COOL.

Being COOL means being similar to all the other COOL people. That's why we see so many Harley clones -- bikes trying to look like they came straight out of the 1940s. Somehow it's COOL to have a bike that shakes and rattles and makes a lot of noise.

We've seen a new COOL develop lately with the Adventure bikes. Most of these will never be ridden off the pavement. But the riders will be COOL in their Adventure Clothing. They'll be COOL with all their Adventure Accessories on their Adventure Bikes.

The COOL market is drying up. The North American economy has been in the crapper since 2008 or so. It's not coming back. Our great run of economic success is over.

Honda has recognized the change and is trying to create new markets for their bikes. The CTX is a cruiser/tourer for the 21st Century. The COOL people will be confused. They don't really like or understand change. Those of us who prefer to actually ride the bikes will be very happy with the new Hondas. And we won't care how the bikes get categorized in the COOL magazines.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Now that's a very interesting take, Ken. :)

Me, don't understand the need to categorize everything either. And I do applaud Honda for once again breaking those barriers and blurring the lines to create something more functional .... and not too hard on the eyes, either.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The North American motorcycle market is different than the markets in other parts of the world. Most folks here don't buy a bike for transportation. They get one to be COOL.

Being COOL means being similar to all the other COOL people. That's why we see so many Harley clones -- bikes trying to look like they came straight out of the 1940s. Somehow it's COOL to have a bike that shakes and rattles and makes a lot of noise.

We've seen a new COOL develop lately with the Adventure bikes. Most of these will never be ridden off the pavement. But the riders will be COOL in their Adventure Clothing. They'll be COOL with all their Adventure Accessories on their Adventure Bikes.

The COOL market is drying up. The North American economy has been in the crapper since 2008 or so. It's not coming back. Our great run of economic success is over.

Honda has recognized the change and is trying to create new markets for their bikes. The CTX is a cruiser/tourer for the 21st Century. The COOL people will be confused. They don't really like or understand change. Those of us who prefer to actually ride the bikes will be very happy with the new Hondas. And we won't care how the bikes get categorized in the COOL magazines.
Very well said :smiley-happy0034::smiley-happy0034:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everyone. First message after a short presentation.
The CTX1300 for me is the bike "I can not buy".
For the same Budget ( 20.000 EUR in Spain if you want a screen and a trunk ) I MUST go to BMW, or Triumph, or even KAWASAKI with a Voyager.
And I get a good fairing, o good engine, a good radio ( bluetooth and phone link in the Triumph ) and lots of room.
So, I can not buy this decissions HONDA has taken for me.
I have a Honda now, near 100K miles with few problems and my next buy will be whatever, but HONDA.
Maybe their design team will buy one hundred or two, because the plastic-tank is similar some way in its design to a Goldwing ( the queen of the roads, haha ). But what an argument?
Who bouys a -expensive- bike because it is similar anything?
Hurra for the concept, its OK, but I think the job is not finished as we are used to see.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
One of the things I actually like about this bike is that it is not similar to anything. Some similar styling to the Gold Wing, maybe. But the plastic fake tank certainly isn't unique to these two bikes. For those of us that have bought one or are looking to buy one, the CTX1300 is the perfect marriage of cruiser and sport tourer that isn't like every other Harley-clone. And the fact that not everybody is going to want one just makes it that much more appealing to us.

What model Honda are you currently riding, and what style of bike are you looking to replace it with?

·
Registered
446 Posts
(...)
And I get a good fairing,
Please define "good", I find the fairing on the CTX1300 absolutely honey-dripping awesome :)
o good engine
I beg your pardon, what's wrong with the CTX1300 engine, in its class?

a good radio ( bluetooth and phone link in the Triumph )
I'm sure you meant "audio system" by "radio", nobody does radio nowadays. The EU CTX1300 comes with the audio system stock and it does have Bluetooth. What's the actual complaint, then?

and lots of room.
Are you 2.20m tall with a 1m inseam by any chance? Then what's the "room" problem?

(...)
Who bouys a -expensive- bike because it is similar anything?
Every single biker who bought a Japanese cruiser while dreaming of a Harley ... and, boy, there's a LOT of them :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello.
CSDEXTER and the fairing:
For me a good fairing is :1-no water in my feet.
The DV650 is not perfect at that because you get the left foot wet.
There is a fender extender to sell. Why? Because the original is short and there is no low fairing. Floorboards should improve the design too.
En mi humilde opinión. ( In my humble opinión ).

2-No water in my hands. The "goat ears" of the CTX seem too far away.
Mine are better, and they are not close enough for me.
The good design is the Harley batwing, or even the Victory: near to the hand. When you put aerodynamics over design you get a good design, and aerodynamics. When you put a lot of young designers in a box you get a mix of a Pan, a Gold, a naked and nothing at all.

3-no water in my chest and shoulders. The screen is short and even the tall one is narrow. But I recognize I have only seen it in a CTX700.
4-no water in the helmet and the wind over it. The same as before.

5-I asume some water in the knees.

Well, this is Spain, no comparison with Ireland, but I am talking in general bike standards, if you hate water at all, buy a car.

The good engine: Sorry, I didn't say this is bad. I said a 1700 Kawasaki is good enough. The Pan engine is awesome. I tasted the Pan some years ago and I didn't like the sound, that "Ssshhh" but it is not a "casus belli".
It is not nice as an sculpture is, a V twin, a boxer, a six-flat...

Radio: yes, I like it. I love hearing the news when I travel and not hearing music. In fact what I want is transparency: you turn on the bike and you talk to your wife or hear the phone or music or the news ( football maybe ) only with a touch of your finger. With the CTX I have to push the tank. With a Triumph I have it all in the grip. Also with mine, and it cost less tan 100 EUR.

Room. For the end of the column (!). I only tasted the CTX700 and it seemed to me enough but not generous. I was talking about the saddlebags ( my fault ). In the CTX700 they seemed really poor, weak and bad finished. At the photos they look equal as the CTX1300. If you say they are totally different I can not argue that. But I can add the Victory ones are perfect for me.

Similarities and fashion victims. OK. You have a big part of reason. Brands build what they sell better. But give my little part to me: few people buys a Trophy because it is a RT1200-like. They buy it because it is cheaper ( or it was, if they continue selling well ). It is Budget and function.

For the same, if you want an Electra and dont have 30.000 in the pocket( normal ), a Japanese is a nice option. Tsukayu and so dont copy Harley because of the Brand -not only-. It is because Harley arrived first. And the place is right.

I hope it is understood that I like the concept but a hard critic is the touchstone ( piedra de toque ) for improvements.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
There isn't a fairing made that's going to keep you completely dry. If you don't want any rain on you, here's what you need. But you have to stop some time, so even with this you might get your feet wet.

Your only other choice is a car. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well...I dont like the mirrors, hehe.
I knew this model.
In that way you can still see some BMW "C" concept here in Barcelona ( the original ones, not the scooters/mopeds ).
The Bavarian boys started selling them at near 6.000 EUR ( year 2.001 it was one million pesetas ) and the last ones for near the cost.
Why? I dont know. If I did I would be millionaire. No, tri-llionaire.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Harleys can be great. No doubt about that. The design of the "typical" HD (i.e. anything except the V-Rod) speaks to a shared history and heritage, and I totally get that. I understand it in the same way that I can appreciate the importance of the Fort Model T, or Gothic architecture. Aesthetically, I like the feelings that bubble up when I look at a Softtail or an Electraglide. But I ride my CTX1300 specifically because it is NOT a Harley or a Harley clone. I like the futuristic style, and the angles and the overall spirit of the motorcycle. And, having just completed a 12-hour, 427-mile cruise a couple of days ago, I can with authority say that this is the best bike I have ever ridden.
If you check out the current Harley Davidson web page, you can see that they have a new ad campaign: "Don't Wannabe." I guess they are saying that you shouldn't buy an HSM (Harley Shaped Motorcycle)... You should buy the Real Deal. I would beg to differ. I would say instead "I Don't Wannabe Confused for a Harley Rider." I respect them, just like I respect Vespas or Triumphs. But I don't want to ride one... or be confused for a typical weekend pirate who lives for the 48 hours that they don't have to work as a dentist or an accountant... and get to look like a One Percenter.
:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts