CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
/rant

So as much as I can't stand Google or anything associated with it (if you were to give me an Android device, I'd pay you to take it back if I had to), here's a little proof why none of the other search engines will ever catch it, let alone surpass it. Do a search for CTX1300 on Bing, Yahoo, and Google. Bing and Yahoo bring up more links to VTX1300 than CTX1300. Google is without question the new great satan; but if you need to find something, it's still the only way to go.

/end_rant

·
Super Moderator
5,482 Posts
/rant_reply
I'm not convinced Bing or Yahoo are really any better. I read somewhere that Bing really just takes the Google search results and sorts and displays them in their own way. So are you really escaping Google by using Bing? Maybe not.
I work in technology and yet find I use Google stuff, search and android, with the understanding that there is nothing really safe or private there. I'm used to thinking that way since ANYTHING online through ANY resource becomes public domain as soon as it is posted. Anyone who thinks their stuff is private online is only fooling themselves. Therefor I have a basic phone, and an android tablet what is on free WiFi only. I choose what I allow on my tablet. I don't need any more exposure of my calling habits online anymore than a basic cell allows, which is more than enough.
As you alluded to, sometimes the only way to find what you're looking for is through Google.
/end_rant_reply

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
/rant_reply
I'm not convinced Bing or Yahoo are really any better. I read somewhere that Bing really just takes the Google search results and sorts and displays them in their own way. So are you really escaping Google by using Bing? Maybe not.
I work in technology and yet find I use Google stuff, search and android, with the understanding that there is nothing really safe or private there. I'm used to thinking that way since ANYTHING online through ANY resource becomes public domain as soon as it is posted. Anyone who thinks their stuff is private online is only fooling themselves. Therefor I have a basic phone, and an android tablet what is on free WiFi only. I choose what I allow on my tablet. I don't need any more exposure of my calling habits online anymore than a basic cell allows, which is more than enough.
As you alluded to, sometimes the only way to find what you're looking for is through Google.
/end_rant_reply
Agree, nothing online is truly safe. The difference, at least in my opinion, is that while information is available through other services and portals, Google's whole business model centers around finding and taking it. And then God only knows what they do with it. I don't trust Google or anything associated with it as far as I can throw Larry Page. Unfortunately the other services suck so bad, there's only one (mostly) reliable option. Even then I know there's stuff out there that doesn't come back. It's all about the $$$$. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Why don't you like google? It seems to be a pretty powerful tool.

I have no problem with google knowing what i search for

Not like I search for anything that is private.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why don't you like google? It seems to be a pretty powerful tool.

I have no problem with google knowing what i search for

Not like I search for anything that is private.
Google the search engine is great. Google the company is pure evil. I don't have anything to hide. I just don't trust a company whose entire business model centers around mining every bit of data they can possibly find and sell it to who knows whom. I get leery when I go to, say, a motorcycle news site and see ads for music gear I'd searched for weeks earlier or more. And now they've saturated the mobile market with Android, the sole purpose of which is to extend the reach of their prying eyes.

Ok, it's time for dinner -- I have to take off the tin foil hat now.

·
Registered
212 Posts
LOL yes the tin foil hate has to come off

I protect myself by not doing anything on the internet which may reveal too much about myself

Google does track what you search for - which is fine for me.

What I don't like is how android phones know where you are all the time and that info can be accessed by google.

That creeps me out a bit.

Knowing what I search is fine

From what i know. Google is a great company to work for.

·
Super Moderator
5,482 Posts
I usually keep all location options turned off on my Nexus 7 tablet. Unless I need to turn one of on for mapping purposes. Then I turn it off again.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I usually keep all location options turned off on my Nexus 7 tablet. Unless I need to turn one of on for mapping purposes. Then I turn it off again.
that is what I do as well but it is inconvenient

I wish there was a way to control which apps have access to GPS. I would only allow the maps app to have access.

Or maybe there is a way but I don't know.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Google the search engine is great. Google the company is pure evil. I don't have anything to hide. I just don't trust a company whose entire business model centers around mining every bit of data they can possibly find and sell it to who knows whom. I get leery when I go to, say, a motorcycle news site and see ads for music gear I'd searched for weeks earlier or more. And now they've saturated the mobile market with Android, the sole purpose of which is to extend the reach of their prying eyes.

Ok, it's time for dinner -- I have to take off the tin foil hat now.
Bear, you hit the nail on the head.

The absolute cherry in my books is folks who take to social media to complain about SOCIAL MEDIA being monitored. Which makes me laugh because these same folks put things on social media to BE FOUND, and then they complain its been found....

There's a dangerous level of apathy floating around, someone else will take care of it ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bear, you hit the nail on the head.

The absolute cherry in my books is folks who take to social media to complain about SOCIAL MEDIA being monitored. Which makes me laugh because these same folks put things on social media to BE FOUND, and then they complain its been found....

There's a dangerous level of apathy floating around, someone else will take care of it ;)
You mean like workers complaining about their boss to other workers on company IM and email? :D Yes, that happened at a place where I worked. Not only did they complain about their boss, they cracked on how stupid she was (among other co-workers) because they were able to spend so much of their day complaining about her without her knowing it. Or so they thought.

Actually, to get back to my rant, what people don't realize about Android is that there are apps baked into it that can capture and transmit everything you do, including web sites you visit, files you save, even your user id and passwords. I don't know if it's every flavor of (and God knows there are too [email protected]%^@ many), or if every manufacturer does it. Maybe they can be removed by rooting, but most users don't know how to do that. Android isn't just un-secure, it's anti-secure. And that's why it's free to device manufacturers, because Google has countless other ways to make money off it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You mean like workers complaining about their boss to other workers on company IM and email? :D Yes, that happened at a place where I worked. Not only did they complain about their boss, they cracked on how stupid she was (among other co-workers) because they were able to spend so much of their day complaining about her without her knowing it. Or so they thought.

Actually, to get back to my rant, what people don't realize about Android is that there are apps baked into it that can capture and transmit everything you do, including web sites you visit, files you save, even your user id and passwords. I don't know if it's every flavor of (and God knows there are too [email protected]%^@ many), or if every manufacturer does it. Maybe they can be removed by rooting, but most users don't know how to do that. Android isn't just un-secure, it's anti-secure. And that's why it's free to device manufacturers, because Google has countless other ways to make money off it.
Agreed, fully agreed. What else could be expected from a company whos mission statement is simply dont be evil...

shot in the face, your government loves you, the economy is recovered, oil is everywhere, nothing to see here....

Home of the free, land of the brave? Wake me for the sale...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts