CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I have been off 2 wheels for about 5 years now, save my renting a Harley a time or two this and last year. I have bee researching my face off and really want to make the right purchase. So I thought I would seek some advice! I would really love to hear from everyone.

A quick history: dirt bikes growing up > Honda Shadow 1100 > VTX1800 > CBR600F4I (the oddball) > then lastly another VTX1800.

What I am looking for now is something that is still fun and powerful but also comfortable and functional.

Can you please offer any widely agreed upon PROs and CONs along with your personal opinions? Also, here are some additional specific questions:

(1) I hear the bike scrapes on turn really easy / shallow. Any different than the cruisers I am used to? Or about the same?

(2) Wind buffeting at the head; I prefer to be in the wind as much as possible so I think the short windshield will turn out well. But how is the wind on the head / full face helmet? Some of the Harley's I rented made my head feel like it was being pushed around like a pin ball.

(2) I am worried about the engine bulge and how it will impact comfort. I am 5'9'' 170lb 31''-ish inseam.

(4) Highway pegs; I am used to having my legs way out front. But it looks like no one sells highway pegs. Any options here?

(5) MPG / tank range: Is 200 miles an accurate average on what people get?

·
Registered
68 Posts
@jgortner

1. Haven't touched yet. Heard a review saying that once. I was confused how they did it.

2. Buffeting at 0% even with shorty.

3. 6'2" 255 no problems here...

4. @menosabe has some great (and inexpensive) brackets to let you streach your legs.

5. I'm getting 200 pretty regularly. Unless I'm nice to it. Then I'll get 240ish.

6. This bike kicks ass.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
@jgortner, I had a VTX1800 myself (and a Shadow 1100 too, as a matter of fact). So here goes:
1 - I've scraped a few pegs on the CTX, but it's not nearly as easy as it was on the big VTX. Quite a bit more cornering clearance on the CTX.

2 - With the shortie shield, wind flow on your head is very smooth -- like no buffeting at all. However, it's also pretty loud. I went shopping for a new, quieter helmet to try to quiet it down, because I also like air back there. But I found it a bit too loud and added a tall shield. It still allows enough air flow for me, but it's many times quieter and more relaxing to ride.

3 - I'm also 5'9" with a 31" in seam (but a few more lbs). I always preferred a feet-forward riding position, but I find the CTX extremely comfortable. I've never noticed the engine in the way of any body parts.

4 - As bone said, check with member menosabe. I got his second gen peg mounts, the ones without the light mount, but they're actually a bit too far forward for me. So if you're interested in those, I'd recommend either getting his original offering, or ask of he can fab up a plain set that puts the pegs a bit closer.

5 - 200 miles to a tank is easily doable, though you can certainly shrink that range if you get too consistently nuts on the throttle. That doesn't mean you have to baby it -- you can still have plenty of fun and get a decent range between fillups.

Generally speaking, it's a very different ride from the VTX1800. It doesn't have the same instant low-end punch, but that V4 makes up for it by pulling harder for much longer through the RPM range. Otherwise, it's all the same very reliable Honda lineage.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I can make the peg mount go back how ever far you want( within reason). I have said before that I don't have problems making custom sizes. Just know it will take over a week for me to make them. I will even post pictures in private message to make sure customer is happy

Reactions: JBone

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@jgortner,
VTX is easy peesy to drag the pegs. I can drag them on the CTX also, but it isn't as easy.
The CTX was designed to be a comfortable sporty cruising tourer rather than the lean forward or cruiser laid back. Kinda like the Gold Wing.
The only problem that MAY exist for you is the valve head clearance. Sit on one in the showroom floor and see if your shin hits them. You should be ok as the tall guy (@JBone) is ok with it.
Don't sit on it slouched or you will touch them.
The wind is directed up with the shorty and you will feel it, but it doesn't make your head bobble like on the VTX.
If you buy the deluxe, the shorty will make it more difficult to hear your tunes (if ya plan on listening at speed).
Now, the range will be personal....I can go 210-220 before hitting reserve...but I can also ride aggressive and only get about 170-180 range.
Even aggressive riding you should be able to reach 200 though it will be on reserve. 10 different riders will have 10 different experiences.
As far as highway pegs, @menosabe makes the best option (My opinion again), but there are alternatives such as this one.
Your requirement of "is still fun and powerful but also comfortable and functional." is what this girl is all about. See you on the other side of the weekend and post pictures. Come back and tell us your story and about the ride home!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far everyone!

I forgot how special and cool it was to be a part of a community. I am very nervous about picking the right bike and all of your words of wisdom are very helpful. But I am test-driving to make sure things work for me before purchase.

I am mostly nervous about my legs not being comfortable on long rides since I am used to that 'feet forward' riding position my whole life.

Anyone specifically have any thoughts on their personal transition from cruiser to tourer like this?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've had bikes with various feet positions. The Feet Forward position might be good on your feet, but it's murder on your butt. Anything more than about 400 miles with the feet forward is miserable.

For me, the CTX1300 is much more comfortable than the CTX700 which has the feet way forward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had bikes with various feet positions. The Feet Forward position might be good on your feet, but it's murder on your butt. Anything more than about 400 miles with the feet forward is miserable.

For me, the CTX1300 is much more comfortable than the CTX700 which has the feet way forward.
I never thought about this! I always wondered why touring bikes have the feet more upright. I didn't realize it meant a more comfortable ass (which always did get uncomfortable).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have happily made this transition from Cruiser 'Magna' with pegs forward, although I am 5'1' frame so I look rather silly when I stretch out to my hwy pegs. My legs never really need that stretch. We do cross country travels in average of 3000 mile trips and I have endured well on my Magna. I believe this CTX1300 will serve me well. On a recent weekend of over 700 miles, I found it to be comfortable although I have had the seat customized and I am sure this has helped me.

I have scraped pegs on all my bikes through the years, as I was raised in the Ozark twisties, hitting curves rather hard. And yes I have scraped on this one too - it handles incredibly well in the curves.

I like that it is a cross between sport and cruise. I appreciate that it is the ST1300 engine, being a V4. That power was important to me, as I am such a fan of the V4 engine. The ST1300 was a dream bike to me, but the reality of the 32" seat was a no go. So when I heard about the CTX's I was very happy.

I have the tall shield because cross country touring is huge to me, I need it for long endurance.
I have the Deluxe, it just seemed worth it.
No regrets - I love this bike. I am also Honda loyal.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I am mostly nervous about my legs not being comfortable on long rides since I am used to that 'feet forward' riding position my whole life.

Anyone specifically have any thoughts on their personal transition from cruiser to tourer like this?
Yep. I went from the VTX1800 to a Magna (BIG mistake), to a Triumph Thunderbird, which was almost an ergonomical clone of the VTX. The only adjustment was one of feet muscle memory (re-learning where the pegs are after so many years of feet-forward), but definitely not a comfort issue.

I had always found the feet-forward position to be most comfortable on a test-sit and shorter rides. Before the CTX, my favorite bikes for riding position were the Shadow 1100, VTX1300, VTX1800 and Thunderbird. In between those I had a ST1100, VFR800 and ST1300, which were a major blast to ride, but a lesson in pain on the back and shoulders after any length of time in the saddle.

So for me ...

I've had bikes with various feet positions. The Feet Forward position might be good on your feet, but it's murder on your butt.
^^^ This. With your feet forward, much more of your weight is supported by your back side

^^^ and this. The CTX1300 seems to strike that perfect balance, with your feet forward enough that you're not cramped (which is what I found on sport bikes and sport tourers), but close enough that they still support some of your weight.

The more I see of your story, the more similar it looks to mine. I also loved the ST1300, but couldn't take the riding position, and the seat height was less than idea for me as well. I have been a huge fan of Honda's V4's ever since the ST1100 (now that I think about it, this is the 5th Honda V4 I have owned!). So when I first saw news of the CTX1300 coming, it was literally like a prayer had been answered. I put a deposit down before ever seeing one in the flesh, and I haven't regretted it for a second.

But don't take our word for it -- take one for a test ride. :wink:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@heariam,
You making some of these other taller guys look bad. A real shorty handling the CTX just fine.
If you got 'em, I'd like to see pics of the Magna and your new baby.
Guess it'd be better in the photo thread rather than continue hijacking this thread.
Ya'll got some good roads there....

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just rode the piss out of mine 2 up and didn't find pegs
2 up 70 and 80 mph sweepers and tore the crap out of my rear tire and could not find pegs
either I suck or max rear preload on rear and new forks give me more ground clearance

you will love the bike
I cant find a bike that gives this much for what they are going for

also just had a dealer tell me Honda dropped the dealer invoice 3k and then the Honda rebate of 3 k
that's why these are at 10k to 12k
what a bike for these prices

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Great thread! I still haven't touched peg to pavement yet. I love the foot position on my ctx1300. Here's something to try while you are test driving (or test sitting on the showroom): try to raise yourself off the saddle with your feet on the pegs. Might not be easy on the sidestand. If you can't stand up just a little, every shock or bump is going to be directed right to the base of your spine. On this bike, and most comfortable bikes that I know about, your legs are actually part of the suspension. Forward pegs are great for variety, but I don't have them and eight-hour rides for me are easy peasy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
We are nearly the exact height and inseam. You are going to love how this bike fits. For me, the pegs are perfect.... nice 90 deg bend in the knee. I also find the handlebars perfect as well. A little wide for parking lot maneuvers for us average height guys, but perfect going down the road. Now I'm coming off a Concours-14 where the pegs are higher and behind you more. Only thing now for me to overcome is muscle memory. Its kind of funny looking I'm sure at every stop light my feet are floating around in the air searching for the pegs since they naturally want to go where they have been going for the last 3 years.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Also, I haven't scraped a peg yet.... I've been on a few sweepers and I'm looking at the chicken strip on the rear and there's not a whole lot left so I imagine they would be using the entire tire when they do scrape.... this is sitting straight up now.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Only thing now for me to overcome is muscle memory. Its kind of funny looking I'm sure at every stop light my feet are floating around in the air searching for the pegs since they naturally want to go where they have been going for the last 3 years.
I went through the exact same thing, only from the opposite direction. :520:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts