CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Defenive Motorcycle Riding at local community college 35 years ago. Job transferred me to Vegas where I got my one and only bike - a Honda CX500.

Then along comes children and bike gets retired, then sold.

Earlier today I just completed the MSF's Motorcycle Riding course back at the same community college! No they did not still have the transcripts from 35 years ago!

So this week I'll get to the DMV and get my motorcycle endorsement on driver's license. However, I am VERY cognizant of needing to stay inside a careful comfort zone until experience and knowledge of the machine expands that comfort zone.

I am a big guy - 6'4" and 260. A bigger bike seems to be called for.

CTX1300 seems like it might be a good bike for me - but am a little concerned about whether to ease back into it with a smaller bike first (like maybe CTX700?).

I picture myself on road trips in additional to riding around the city. But am not real sure. Wondering if I should rent a bike for a few days and see if road trips suit me. I still work full time so available time is limited by the need for that paycheck!

Live in eastern Nebraska so winter riding opportunities can be impacted by weather or road conditions (unlike Vegas!).

I've enjoyed reading the many threads and learning that way about this bike. I've also tried to find the owner's manual online (course instructors this weekend said MOM knows best!) but no luck so far. That often provides a prospective buyer with some good info.

I am not terribly mechanically inclined so reliability is very important.

I always welcome ideas and thoughts.

At any rate, thanks for letting this "non-owner" join and learn from all of you.

Take care,
John

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Hello John,
Welcome to the forum (belated a bit since I see you've been around for about a month now). Feel free to keep reading and lurking and asking questions. There are lots of opinions on how to get back into the game. I did the same just over 14 years ago. Rode a smaller bike back in 79-81 then had to give it up for a time until 2000. My first bike was a 125cc Harley! 19 years later my second bike was a Vulcan 750 and the first week I thought I was way over my head. Just take it really easy at first to get used to whatever you decide to ride. I am inclined to recommend perhaps an old used "middle sized" bike (750-900) for a few months just to get back into it and get used to riding a bike in general. The CTX1300, or most 1300+ class bike, are not considered beginner bikes. Mostly due to the touchy throttle, and also the power of this engine. There's a lot to recall from before and a lot to relearn. If you felt that you are ready for more than something to start with during that MDF course than go for the big CTX. When I had that first bike I was just riding around the area and to work 17 miles one way. Then with the second bike 19 years later I was thinking the same, and then got the urge to go travelling farther. I only had that 750 for a year before I jumped up to a GW. Again I thought I was over my head with such a big monster of a bike but it only took a week to feel comfortable and relaxed riding the GW and finally took it out on the Interstate with no issues. Go ahead and try a test ride on both the CTX models if your dealer will allow it. I do think your plan for taking road trips will be easier done, and much more comfortable, on the CTX1300. I know a number of riders on the CTX700 cousin (NC700x) over on the ST-Owners forum who use that model for local trips but ride their bigger bike for road trips. The smaller bike wouldn't be comfortable for long rides IMHO. Speaking of comfort for road trips... longer rides really do need some working up to in order to be comfortable (physically and mentally) to do them. I don't know if you rode far on your old 500. I remember on the GW taking many 50 mile rides in the area just to start getting used to some time in the saddle. After some of that I extended the miles up to 100, then 150 miles. Then I felt ready to take off on a 450 mile trip with the GW group. I feel that if I just started with that 450 mile trip first I would have been really hurting before half way there. But as it was I made it with no issues and was ready for another right away. Don't know if you already know this or have planned to do this but just wanted to put it out there.

Anyway. Welcome and good luck on your choice and safe travels on what ever you choose. :)

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
John,
I'd just like to say that the CTX1300 is easy to ride. Well balanced and not so high powered as to get you into much trouble. If you get the deluxe with ATL brakes and traction control, then you get a little more help.
It may be better to break in with a lighter bike just from the stand point of slow speed tip over protection, and pickup if needed. I've heard very good reports about the CTX700. Can't go wrong either way in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Welcome to the forums, John. ;)

Just to tack onto what's already been said regarding your first bike, a lot of that also depends on your own level of confidence. Either CTX is going to feel bigger, heavier and bulkier than the MSF machines and your old CX500. But the CTX1300 doesn't feel quite as heavy as it really is. And being of larger stature, you may find you don't have much difficulty with a fuller size ride. Your best bet is to try to get a test ride on one. I have a feeling you'll probably end up on a 1300 eventually anyway -- can't hurt to give it a shot sooner rather than later and have just one new bike adjustment instead of two. :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
I always give rookies and returnees the same advice: Buy a used bike and ride it for at least a year before you plunk down your hard-earned money on a new bike.

Most folks figure out how to keep the bike upright while moving on the roads. But nearly all inexperienced riders drop the bike in a parking lot, driveway, or intersection. It's embarrassing to drop a bike. It's expensive to drop a new bike.

The CTX1300 has a lot of very expensive plastic. It's not as bad as a Trophy or an FJR, but a simple parking lot drop can cost you hundreds of dollars to fix. If you drop an old bike, you can just patch it up with Duck Tape and keep going.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1300 too big for my level of skill ....

Over lunch hour, went to Honda dealer. Sat on CTX700 and CTX1300.

Yeah, I have a lot of comfort zone building before I step up to the 1300. Sure looked and felt nice - but safety first for this old guy.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Over lunch hour, went to Honda dealer. Sat on CTX700 and CTX1300.

Yeah, I have a lot of comfort zone building before I step up to the 1300. Sure looked and felt nice - but safety first for this old guy.
Well, don't forget, sitting on anything for the first time that's bigger than you're used to is going to feel intimidating.

That being said ... Ken does have a good point regarding noobs and returnees. And if you're already feeling like you need to get your confidence back first, you might do well to look for something used, relatively inexpensive, and medium-large sized to get your sea legs on. And you'll have the added benefit of not being broken-hearted if you drop it once or twice.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I'll chime in here too, with pretty much the same advice. Look at it this way: an older bike doesn't really depreciate much. If you buy an older bike for $1500 or so, you will probably be able to sell it for about the same or you might even be able to sell it for a little more if you get rid of it in early spring time. As much as I want to recommend jumping in and buying this awesome bike, it is pretty big. I sold both of my previous bkes for almost exactly what I paid for them. Good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
While I think this may be a great bike for you in a little while....I too think the idea of getting a less expensive medium displacement bike to back in the saddle on.....anyone who tells you they have never dropped a bike is lying or doesn't ride.....I personally don't know of anyone who hasn't and yes it is most often in a parking lot or slow riding......and yes if you get a used one they don't generally depreciate too much......having said all of that, the CTX is in my opinion an joy to ride and feels (to me) like a lighter bike than it really is.....my last few bikes were 900 odd pounders so just about anything would feel lighter to me......

Welcome to the forum and if you do decide on the CTX I'm sure you'll be happy with it. You'll know if you feel confident enough or not.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saturday Purchase? Getting back into it .... after 30 years.

Well, I think I will pull the trigger on a 2007 Yamaha 1100 with a little over 10,000 miles. Love everything about the bike except no electronic fuel injection. Hopefully that doesn't bite me down the road with maintenance costs ....

:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
(...) a 2007 Yamaha 1100 (...) Hopefully that doesn't bite me down the road with maintenance costs ...
It's probably off topic for this forum, but since it's a community thing and bikers are supposed to behave like a big family ... I could probably take any Yamaha cruiser apart and put it back together blindfolded. So, heaven-forbid, if you do get into mechanical trouble in the future with it, I can probably advise a way out :-D

·
Registered
25 Posts
John,
I'd just like to say that the CTX1300 is easy to ride. Well balanced and not so high powered as to get you into much trouble. If you get the deluxe with ATL brakes and traction control, then you get a little more help.
It may be better to break in with a lighter bike just from the stand point of slow speed tip over protection, and pickup if needed. I've heard very good reports about the CTX700. Can't go wrong either way in my opinion.
I' with you. My first bike CTX 1300 and am doing very well, 2 close call drops but not. 7 months into it, not an expert but doing well. Riding every week and loving it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts