CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the right side of the bike, near the cylinder head where the silver cover is to access the spark plugs is a throttle assembly with spring. (It is visible just above the cover.)

After twisting the throttle handle AND releasing it, a noticeable light metallic noise (a light aluminum click/thunk) is heard from the throttle assembly near the cylinder head. Again, the light metallic click is produced <EACH time> the throttle handle is released, and the spring assemble returns to its resting stop.

As odd as this may "sound", I do not recall hearing it in the past (years.) The click is noticeable while riding even.

No abnormal resistance or performance in the machine itself is noticed.

Suggestions, ideas other than paranoia?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just checked mine out. There is a metallic “clop” sound when (what I assume is) the throttle body closes. Hear it each time it fully closes.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Glad" to hear that I'm not the only one. What I cannot understand is how I haven't previously noticed this click/clop adding 25,000 miles to it. I notice the sound while riding down the road, and each significant release of the throttle handle to decelerate, I hear it click, which is a tad annoying and distracting.

Still, I feel like something has changed.

Nonetheless,, your feedback is appreciated 🙂

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don’t think mine is loud enough for me to hear on-the-road, as I wear earplugs and a full-face helmet. Is a distinct “click”, but not overly loud on mine. And mine has 30K+ miles, 22K put on by me. Never questioned mine as a “problem”.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The saga continues... It turns out that other than the "clop" sound of the throttle plate.....

I am actually hearing a "click, click-click" as the throttle is BOTH rolled on & off, and it IS disparate from the throttle plate noise THAT cannot be heard when the engine is running.

This click is <ONLY> produced when the engine is running, and it seems to originate from beneath the top shelter - also just right of center.

Any clues are appreciated. I dread disassembling the Tupperware to hunt this noise.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Throttle - Control Valve "click"

As my paranoia mounts, the "click" that I hear has been further pinpointed to originate beneath the top shelter just "south/below" the ignition, which leads me to believe it is the <Control Valve> shown in the photo included.

I suppose that my weekend, full of rain, will consist of me removing the Tupperware to expose the valve in effort to identify if this is in fact the culprit.

Again, the click occurs with each change of throttle: acceleration/deceleration.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The eerie and pestering click is resolved! Replaced the Air Injection Valve Assembly (36450-MJN-A01) after consulting my dealer. He said more than likely that was the culprit. For purchase of the part there, he was kind enough to help troubleshoot the problem given that the shop is backed up 4 weeks!!!

The tech said I could simply remove the assembly and likely NOT have any significant performance issues other than an unwanted engine code/light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts