CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many new owners coming aboard. Most are familiar with accessories, but some aren't. Here is a list of several throttle locks I've used over the years with current links (as of today).
I do not endorse or recommend any product over another.
I'm not affiliated with any of them. If you know of other brands or have opinions on one of these, please post for others.
There should be other sites that sell these same locks with the exception of the Madco lock.
Reminder: Our CTX has a 7/8" bar where the throttle mounts.

BrakeAway Motorcycle Cruise Control <-Will disengage when brake lever pulled. Cost a little more, but never saw anyone say it wasn't worth it. Doesn't work with heated grips.
motorcycle throttle control <-2 second install/uninstall. Easiest/cheapest/quickest option. I've had good luck, but some report they have broken. Known as Go Cruise.
MadcoRider.com - Motorcycle Trottle Control, Cam Lock <--- Very small and looks like it is from factory. This is my favorite on previous bikes. Bill (owner) hasn't installed one of these yet on a CTX, but says he believes it will be the same as the ST1300. Will include longer bolt for mounting weight on bar end because of space taken up by lock. Black anodized to match.
Throttle Lock Levers for Hondas <---small flip lever under the throttle. Requires tap tool. Lower cost, but does require a little handy work.
Vista Cruise Universal Cruise Control (Metric) <--- Vista cruise control, very popular among several brand bikes. Make sure you get the 7/8" model and not the 1".
Mechanical Throttle Cruise Assist | Grip Accessories | Handlebar Controls | Küryakyn <--- Kuryakyn bar end lock. You also have the option to buy the bar end for the brake side so they match in looks. Reference the Fitment for correct part number.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I like the Brake-away. I have it on both of my bikes and it works flawlessly.

Reactions: Pixlox and Ponch

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Great homemade throttle lock

A good looking, cheap ($5+/-), friction throttle lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgsceolRrfw

Not my idea. This works by forcing 2 rings apart when one is rotated
to create a friction lock on the throttle tube.
This was an idea from a Canadian rider on the VTCafe board:
$5.00 hidden throttle lock - Honda Stateline Forum VT1300CR - VT Cafe - Forum for Honda VT1300 Series Bikes (Sabre / Stateline / Interstate)

Edit: The VT1300 has 1" bars. The CTX1300 (our bike) has 7/8" bars, so the inside diameter should be 1" instead of the 1 1/8" as in the video.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put the Vista Cruise Universal Cruise Control on my CTX a couple weeks ago because my 68 year old wrist would get sore after a few hours of holding the throttle open. It went on pretty easily and locks the throttle either tightly or loosely depending on how much the lock nut is turned. I set it so I can easily overcome its hold if I need to slow down without having to disengage its locking lever simply by pushing the grip.

Obviously this is not a cruise control in the true sense of the word and that it is only locking the throttle in a set position. What do you want for $29? Anyway, I figured that the bike would cruise along at the same speed as long as it was on a level road while the throttle was locked. Not so. The bike changes speed with the throttle locked and will sometimes slow down and sometimes speed up with no movement of the grip at all. I thought this was interesting to pass along to the forum and wonder if anyone else had the same experience.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Will B,
Yes sir, it varies. I can go from my tar/gravel road to the next road that is regular pavement and it speeds up. Coming back, it slows down. Any surface variation as well as incline change will result in speed change unless the throttle is varied accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Been looking at the options for some time now. Finally decided one of the least pricey was all I really needed (just me I guess). Went with the second item in @willajabir's list and bought it on Amazon for the same price as listed at 2wheelride.com. I have prime so no shipping charges. Just arrived today and put it on. Will see how it works for me on a ride soon on remote no-traffic roads.

And, yes, the grips are sized by the bar they mount onto so that means 7/8" size.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used this with the stock grips ok, but when I changed to the pro grip 714, it doesn't hold.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: Xenco

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@willajabir, did you mean to link to this?
Go Cruise adjustable
No, but I should have, instead of the search results.
I have seen several direct links go dead, so at the time of my post I was thinking "Post to search results so where ever the link moves, it will be good".
Thanks @bob

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Homemade throttle lock:
I cut a small piece of inner tube to wrap around the throttle grip.
Took a handle from a paint bucket (or coat hanger if you have one). Curve it around the grip.

I made 2 of these. One with a coat hanger and it goes 3/4 around the grip. The short end needs to be bent out a little so it doesn't get stuck on something.
Then I made this one that wraps around full 360, curved end to make a small hook for the extended piece to rest on, which holds the tension better.
Both work well. The stiffer the wire, the better it works, BUT the more difficult it is to work with.
Works the same as the Go Cruise throttle lock. Doesn't look as snazzy, but cost $0.00. Took 15 minutes to make.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've read it doesn't work with the heated grips. I have one but you have to bevel the outside edge that faces the rest of the bars for it to fit. They may have taken it off the list because of this. May need to order one for the 700. It works great!!!
I installed the BrakeAway on my F6B with heated grips and no problem, just check that the wire from the grip does not catch on anything as you roll on the throttle. I have one ordered for my new CTX...I'm not looking forward to removing and reattaching those throttle cables when I install the HondaLine heated grips....fun ahead. :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
I installed the ThrottleMeister on my grips. I had a BrakeAway but did not like the look, although, I have used that on my VTX and CB. I was going to change the grips, but, decided to just add a sleeve for bulk and softness. The ThrottleMeister works flawlessly, rolls on and off easily and maintains speed as well as most when on flat roads. It will also adjust very well for those small increment changes. Mine are the heavy model and I like the weight, black with the silver cutouts.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts