CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some issues with my throttle control. I am not able to have a smooth throttle accelerating in lower gears. I am getting a jerky response rather than smooth acceleration. Does anyone know of any adjustments that can be done to the throttle to make it smoother rather than jerky?

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
More detail would help. Is it choppy at full throttle [the best kind], or only when you're trying to exert some fine control in a delicate situation [not running off the road when friends are watching].

Of course, we're running on EFI, so mods are limited. A few have installed tuners to make changes to fueling. An expensive remedy.

Some complain of difficulties when hitting a bump. I had that at first. I developed the habit of loosening my grip on the throttle when hit a bump, and generally hold the throttle loosley.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The CTX1300 has poor off/on throttle response. Some are worse than others. My first CTX1300 was very abrupt when going from no throttle to some throttle. I practiced being very smooth with the hand and eventually I was able to work with it nicely. The only situation I was never able to get comfortable with was a rapid descent of a steep, twisty mountain road.

My second CTX1300 is much less jerky, but it's still not a great descender.

There is not much you can do about it other than learn to work with it. Many of the folks on the ST1300 had the same issue.

Some riders got a better response by increasing the diameter of the grip. Others installed black boxes to fool the bike into not ever going to zero throttle.

We discussed this in the early days of this forum. You should be able to search for those discussions.

Reactions: cefox and bob

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
This same issue has been on the ST1300 since 2002 when this engine (same as ours) first came out. I found the least expensive fix was to use a Cramp Buster along with personal training how to use this specific throttle in low gear low speed control. The CB made the biggest difference for me for fine throttle control. That's due to using my entire forearm rather than just my wrist, which will give much finer control for very small movements.

·
Registered
680 Posts
... Others installed black boxes to fool the bike into not ever going to zero throttle.

We discussed this in the early days of this forum. You should be able to search for those discussions.
which black boxes? The Power Commander.. I am not sure those results were conclusive.

some prior discussions
https://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/...discussion-forum/4778-jerky-throttle-mod.html
https://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/...sion-forum/7273-jerky-throttle-revisited.html
https://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/...ecall-warranty-unsolved-issues.html#post54282
https://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/introductions/21554-wow.html#post217578

one idea voice is using a different grip:
https://www.g2ergo.com/store/tamer-throttle-system-for-metric-cruisers/

another idea is some method of mechanical "cramp buster"

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I did all my 20,000 miles on Colorado mountain roads.
My CTX1300 requires a little more precise throttle control than my CTX1800 (in Tour mode).
Both bikes have some acceleration "delays" or abrupt response when riding downhill, the 1300 more than 1800.

My feeling is this is the way the CTX1300 has been designed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My feeling is this is the way the CTX1300 has been designed.

More like a design flaw. And many FI bikes are like this. AND many are NOT! Why would a team of engineers allow this? It should be able to be engineered OUT of the bike, without really effecting emissions. But as we have read, the ST has had this problem to some degree for 16 years??

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
More like a design flaw. And many FI bikes are like this. AND many are NOT! Why would a team of engineers allow this? It should be able to be engineered OUT of the bike, without really effecting emissions. But as we have read, the ST has had this problem to some degree for 16 years??

I never felt this was a flaw. Every time I had a new motorcycle, new technology forced me to adapt to it. It's part of the beauty of riding motorcycles.
That's also why a opted for a DCT on my new Goldwing. I wanted to learn something new.

The fact I have to learn to adapt to the sensitive throttle of the CTX1300 , helped me a lot with the DCT.
I heard many people complaining about how the throttle of the new Goldwing DCT was too difficult to manage the ... but for me was perfect!

Sometimes just adding the crumpbuster or grip puppies or different gloves allow a better control.

I'm pretty sure younger people with more flexible and agile fingers have less problems.

I suspect in the future people will be able to customize electronically the sensitivity of the throttle.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I know I had to relearn the throttle with the CTX on my shadow I had to crank it to get it to move . This bike very little movement to move bike . I had a lot of too much not enough too much not enough throttle for first while.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am having some issues with my throttle control. I am not able to have a smooth throttle accelerating in lower gears. I am getting a jerky response rather than smooth acceleration. Does anyone know of any adjustments that can be done to the throttle to make it smoother rather than jerky?
I have the same issue with my Yamaha V Star 1300. It was easy to apply the same process of feathering the clutch to the CTX 1300. You will adapt. Resistance is futile.

·
Registered
680 Posts
field report in my personal attempt to reduce / tame the twitchy throttle

first I installed some foam grips similar to grabbing dogs:
Grab On Grips Grip Cover https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJAH5M/

they helped with 'gorilla grip' phenomena and odd road vibrations

then I installed

G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube 40-4F-130 also 06320750
https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/g2-throttle-tamer-honda-kawasaki-yamaha

I got mine from: Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories – PhatPerfomanceParts.com for ~60 shipped but it must have been the last one.. because I dont see it now

anyways.. the grips.. I liked because they added a bit of comfort to the ride, the big game changer was G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube .. it was a HUGE improvement. From the first trip around the block to the first 100 miles on the freeway.. this product delivers results!

The device changed the whole approach to throttle control.. power rolls on naturally, and any bumps encountered didnt turn the bike into a wheelie machine. I would say for the price and effort for the install it is hard to beat this for an easy cheap fix.

*note both items were previously listed in the knowledge sharing document .. I guess that thing does come in handy at times.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
There is a product called throttle tamer, that replaces what is on the handle bar. Supposed to do the job. It was sold for use on the ST1300 bikes. Should work on the CTX too. I've heard that the new wing has simular issues.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I hear ya. The jerky throttle response, mostly around 3000 RPM for me, is almost a deal-breaker with this bike. The ECU system is spot-on if you are going strongly thru the gears -- it doesn't miss a beat. But slow speed low-RPM maneuvers (lower gears) are problematic.

I wish Honda would make a fix -- I'd be willing to pay to get this fixed.

·
Registered
680 Posts
@Airhead78

Looking at youtube for other throttle tube installs, it seemed like a pretty straightforward process. There have been some forum members who chewed up their throttle cable in the process, but Im guessing they simply didnt take the time and patience. However.. for me the bike was at the local shop for some other TLC so .... install was quite easy because the local bike shop only charged me .25 hrs to install it. :)

The tube is as thin as the factory one so I see no reason why a heated grip wouldn't fit over it, the factory none heated grips fit just fine.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
That's due to using my entire forearm rather than just my wrist, which will give much finer control for very small movements.
Bob,

Could you elaborate or even somehow post a picture of how you use your forearm, please?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts