CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not like the stock tire for the CTX1300 , especially the front. Im picky, though.
I did replace it with a Dunlop Elite . These aren't my favorite, but I know this tire well and it works.
It may be nice to compile a tire option list for the forum.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I am using the bridgestone tire guard car tire on the rear LOVE IT I have over 15,000 miles of hard riding heavily loaded miles on it and it still looks new. front tire sucks had to replace the front one at 6500 miles in Arizona while on the USA 4 corners ride

·
Registered
227 Posts
@kniterider - But what about the NEW front tire you replaced the factory tire with? I'm much more interested in your opinion of that one.
Me too. I have almost 10K on my stock tires and need to start looking at options.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I've only got 2k on my new ride, but I was looking at tires for when the time comes.
The Commander II 200/55-17. Just a bit larger which will reduce rpms per mph just a fraction. It is also a radial tire so you don't have to replace the front before it's wore out.
I'm still hoping for the ME888 to become available in our size soon. I think I'd prefer it.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
There is another member of this forum who we ride with and is using the The Commander II 200/55-17. They say the twisties performance has drastically improved. I just bought some and look forward to the same. I've used the Commander II tires on other bikes and they are awesome for cruiser tires. The misses and I are taking riding classes at RideSmart - Texas Track Day Motorcycle School next month. I will report in a month or so on the Commander II tires.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just put a front one on my bike. Frist thing I noticed it handles a lot better in the curves. I just have a little over a 1K on it so far but like it a lot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been looking at the Bridgestone exedra Max and the commander II as well. The stock tires seem okay but they are really terrible in the rain. I have felt squirrely in heavy or even moderate rain at 80 kmh/ 50 mph, and had other bikes pass me at probably 60 or 70. My ME880 on the VTX1300 were good in the rain so I'm not used to this poor performance since I took the Dunlops off that bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
And I'm not suggesting it is smart to run at normal speed in the rain, but......., it should not feel loose at fairly slow speed either.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
There is another member of this forum who we ride with and is using the The Commander II 200/55-17. They say the twisties performance has drastically improved. I just bought some and look forward to the same. I've used the Commander II tires on other bikes and they are awesome for cruiser tires. The misses and I are taking riding classes at RideSmart - Texas Track Day Motorcycle School next month. I will report in a month or so on the Commander II tires.
I need better tires for mountain roads. I had an unfortunate situation happen to me two days ago, in a sharp right hairpin turn on NC HWY221, in Blowing Rock NC, my front tire slipped out. The bike almost went all the way down.... What stopped the whole bike from falling was ME. Thank god I was going slow.... maybe 15 miles an hour.... I don't know..... I was focused on saving my bike and my ass. This front tire sucks. I keep the tire pressure right and I have cupping and uneven wear. There is NO grip. I just found some Metzeler ME 880s and I think these might be the tires I need. Anyone got the Metzeler's on their CTX?

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Sorry to hear of the "almost" misshap. I've been there on my ST1100, but that didn't end as well with a full on low side when the front slipped out (catching a ride on a large brass Master key lock that I missed seeing in a hairpin turn). I think I had Avon tires at that time. Since owning my GL1500 I discovered that cupping is often due to a combination of tire brand and (mostly) tire pressure. If you only put in what Honda recommends the front will show cupping. I keep my front at 40-42 psi and have better performance AND miles (have stock Dunlops) on the CTX. Though I agree with less than stellar performance in rain with these. Have 9050 miles on the stock tires so far and maybe 3-4000 left in the tread. Always keeping my eye open for a better set of tires though.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Sorry to hear of the "almost" misshap. I've been there on my ST1100, but that didn't end as well with a full on low side when the front slipped out (catching a ride on a large brass Master key lock that I missed seeing in a hairpin turn). I think I had Avon tires at that time. Since owning my GL1500 I discovered that cupping is often due to a combination of tire brand and (mostly) tire pressure. If you only put in what Honda recommends the front will show cupping. I keep my front at 40-42 psi and have better performance AND miles (have stock Dunlops) on the CTX. Though I agree with less than stellar performance in rain with these. Have 9050 miles on the stock tires so far and maybe 3-4000 left in the tread. Always keeping my eye open for a better set of tires though.
Thanks Bob,

I got 7000 miles on these tires (stock) and I am ready for better grip. I had more than one occasion where the front tire slipped out.... and each time I was able to correct the bike and stay up. This bike should be able to turn without issue, especially in dry conditions.

I am no longer confident in my front tire's performance. I know they are built to last but I care more about grip. My only serious accident was due to lack of grip in my tires... I am still paying for the damage with pain in my right knee and hip. If I need to replace tires sooner than later for better security and performance than that is the right option for me.

Thanks for the info bother.... I had no idea about the tire pressure on this bike. I always keep my tires at the recommended air pressure.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ditto to what Bob said. I had briefly put my front tire back to Honda recommended pressure (I think 36psi) and felt like it didn't actually perform as well, except that it very slightly alleviated some of the shock over rough road surfaces. Well, I'd rather have grip and good handling. Back to about 42psi for me. Rides well.

On rain handling, I'm surprised by the posts above. Last Monday I rode across much of Kentucky and West Virginia right under that big storm system that was moving east, through several downpours, and was on interstate the whole time (having decided that navigating unfamiliar backroads during storms wasn't going to be fun anyway). I rode 65-75mph through pretty much all of it, except for a few periods where I had to slow down due to visibility concerns more so than traction. I thought I felt a loss of grip exactly one time while passing as my rear tire moved over a white dashed line painted in the road, but it was a split second. I'd say after 5500 miles that I have confidence in the stock tires and would order the exact same as replacements.

By the way, will the bike tell you if the traction control system engages?

Jeff

·
Registered
114 Posts
I believe the TC light will flash when it engages, but I haven't actually noticed it come on for me yet. I guess I'm just not one of those "wild" riders. :rolleyes:
Correct! Saved me from a possible crash on wet street.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Ditto to what Bob said. I had briefly put my front tire back to Honda recommended pressure (I think 36psi) and felt like it didn't actually perform as well, except that it very slightly alleviated some of the shock over rough road surfaces. Well, I'd rather have grip and good handling. Back to about 42psi for me. Rides well.

On rain handling, I'm surprised by the posts above. Last Monday I rode across much of Kentucky and West Virginia right under that big storm system that was moving east, through several downpours, and was on interstate the whole time (having decided that navigating unfamiliar backroads during storms wasn't going to be fun anyway). I rode 65-75mph through pretty much all of it, except for a few periods where I had to slow down due to visibility concerns more so than traction. I thought I felt a loss of grip exactly one time while passing as my rear tire moved over a white dashed line painted in the road, but it was a split second. I'd say after 5500 miles that I have confidence in the stock tires and would order the exact same as replacements.

By the way, will the bike tell you if the traction control system engages?

Jeff
Hey Jeff,

Yes, the TC light will blink when it is engaged. I have 'used' it often. I tend to find the slippery/loose spots in turns. I have also seen it blink when I run over rough pavement.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hmmm, now I'm thinking about how it handles in a sandy curve near my home. I have felt it slip a few times, but didn't look at the dash. OFS (Old Fart Syndrome)....hope I can remember to check it once I'm in the saddle.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts