CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last long ride away from home was my fly to buy, ride home. Experienced the no one had a right angle end on compressor. I added one with quick connect to my tool bag, but started thinking about the pain it can be just to find a place with a full service to use it.
I remembered reading a few posts about carrying an inflator so decided to shop for up coming several thousand mile ride.
Found one that had lithium battery so could be used without plugging in. Doubles as an emergency light, phone charger and has the ability to be ran on a 12v outlet if onboard is dead. The cigarette style wire is small so shouldn't be a problem running on my SAE for trickle charger just need to build adapter.
6000mah battery should give enough run time for several top ups. Charges on USB so a person could charge as you ride if camping without power.
Feels well made with aluminum exterior and a little weight to it makes it feel good. Has decent tech so you can set the pressure connect to tire and hit go and it stops auto so you can stand up and let it run. Has other tips for blowing up a camp mattress and such.
Only thing I saw better was one that has bigger battery and can act as a jump start box but seemed like close to $100 to jump to that.
Was on a sale on Amazon for $40 yesterday which seems cheap for a little insurance on the road.
Communication Device Mobile phone Gadget Finger Portable communications device

Gesture Thumb Nail Audio equipment Comfort

Font Material property Rectangle Magenta Brand

Luggage and bags Sunglasses Bag Eyewear Goggles

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So gave it a test run after fully charged. I have stock rubber valve stems so rear is a little tight to clip on, but fairly easy two handed to be careful not to stress valve stem. No problem on the front. It stored last settings so minor up/down between tires.. Took about 10 seconds to add 1lb of pressure so pretty quick.
Weighs just under 2lbs.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Slime compressor, a little shorter and a little wider than yours but works good. It's a plug in or battery clamp powered. I just plug it into my SAE plug.
Thought about getting a slime i know several members use them. Thought for another $20 I'd be fancy pants. :) ha ha big splurge for me...
Camping I thought this gave me a couple extra benefits, not tethered to bike.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Thought about getting a slime i know several members use them. Thought for another $20 I'd be fancy pants. :) ha ha big splurge for me...
Camping I thought this gave me a couple extra benefits, not tethered to bike.
I bought a jump starter pack, and some had the built-in inflator but I was a little leary of the compressor quality.
Got a jump starter with built in flashlight, USB charger, 5 watt wireless charger and 65 watt AC outlet. So far I've jump started a car so it should handle a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Hi Patrick, I see the name on the manual picture but couldn't find it on Amazon. Can you verify the brand and/or model number please?
One on ebay

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From Amazon, you know how things might be sold under more than one name. I paid 43

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
It reminds me of shopping for smoke detectors years ago before the internet.
I opened up a first alert detector and compared it to a generic brand on the shelf. The circuit boards were identical, right down to any numbers printed on them. Of course the prices were far from identical.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,067 Posts
I also have the Slime compressor. It does not have an internal battery. It also requires 15 amps to run so upgraded my Battery Tender SAE cable to 16 ga and 15 amp to run it as well as to plug in my Battery Tender and also a variety of other things. But since it has that 12 vdc plug on the end (cigarette lighter plug) I also bought an adapter that is SAE to 12 vdc plug. No need to "build" a connector when they are so low cost to buy on Amazon. This is an Amazon search for that very item:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sae+to+12v+socket&crid=1VUX1NYW0SRY&sprefix=sae+to+12,aps,126&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_9
Lots of lengths to choose from. I would say you don't need more than 16 ga wire and likely 18 ga will work for you since the SAE connector you have is likely that.

This is the one I bought: https://a.co/d/dGitj2q

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I also have the Slime compressor. It does not have an internal battery. It also requires 15 amps to run so upgraded my Battery Tender SAE cable to 16 ga and 15 amp to run it as well as to plug in my Battery Tender and also a variety of other things. But since it has that 12 vdc plug on the end (cigarette lighter plug) I also bought an adapter that is SAE to 12 vdc plug. No need to "build" a connector when they are so low cost to buy on Amazon. This is an Amazon search for that very item:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sae+to+12v+socket&crid=1VUX1NYW0SRY&sprefix=sae+to+12,aps,126&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_9
Lots of lengths to choose from. I would say you don't need more than 16 ga wire and likely 18 ga will work for you since the SAE connector you have is likely that.

This is the one I bought: https://a.co/d/dGitj2q
Do you idle your bike while using the compressor? I've found the increase in voltage while running helps the compressor run a little better.
All about that V x I = P

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,067 Posts
Do you idle your bike while using the compressor? I've found the increase in voltage while running helps the compressor run a little better.
All about that V x I = P
Yes.
With my current bike the battery is barely enough so I do run the engine to run the compressor. I have to put my AK on the center stand with the side stand up to run the engine because it has a CVT and won't run on the side stand. Running the compressor drops the battery from 12.4 v standing voltage down to at least 12.3 v standing voltage just to top off the rear tire a few psi. But at idle the alternator is putting out 14.1-14.2 v so it does make a difference (running at higher rpm does not make a difference). When I wear out the factory battery I'll be looking at other options to replace it that have a bit more power but will likely still run the engine to run the compressor.

With my CTX1300 I didn't feel the need to do so but I would anyway. Like you said, boosts the compressor just a little

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
That does it. You just lost me in this conversation with “V x l = P”. But I think your saying it works better with the bike running. LOL 😁 I just had to tease a little. 🫵 all have a great day.
I just brought it up because it's a sort of cheat. If the small gauge wire can't handle the current (I) of the compressor, then up the voltage (V) to increase the power (P) delivered.

It's the same concept for the power lines on the road. They're thousands of volts so it takes less current to get the same amount of power down the lines. Less current on the wires means less power wasted due to the resistance of the wire. The higher the current, the hotter the wire becomes, which is power wasted.

There are several power sockets in my truck, but they have surprisingly small gauge wire supplying them. So anything I plug in usually isn't getting the power it needs to run properly. Such as a 12v vacuum cleaner or a fan requiring higher current than say a phone charger. So I have to start the truck and get the voltage up to run the vacuum. Even though there are four 800 CCA batteries, the weak link is the small wire supplying the vacuum.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 12v plug (cigarette style) that came with the compressor is very small probably no more than 18ga. My guess would be if it can fill several car tires on the little battery inside it does take much current to turn the pump.

Might be one of those motors like the electric slot car you had as a kid. Well that is if you were born while that was still cool, you know before all the electronics....before color TV.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
The 12v plug (cigarette style) that came with the compressor is very small probably no more than 18ga. My guess would be if it can fill several car tires on the little battery inside it does take much current to turn the pump.

Might be one of those motors like the electric slot car you had as a kid. Well that is if you were born while that was still cool, you know before all the electronics....before color TV.
Keeping the track clean and working was fun

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Keeping the track clean and working was fun
I've got a great probably 7 or 8 years old at the time story.
I put all the straight pieces together to build a drag strip. I would put my head down close to the track for a great visual. Oil up tires and get them to spin...oh man was it fun.
You would line it all up and punch the trigger and watch fly off the end.
It was so much fun I didn't even think about it when I put my tongue in the corner of my lips got my eye all lined up and punched it. WOW
My tongue touched the edge of the track and when I punched the trigger it felt like my whole body levitated. Don't remember much of the rest of that day but for that split second that is literally etched in my memory. :)o_O

1 - 20 of 23 Posts