CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking to those in the northern states here. I mean, north of the GULF OF MEXICO! :eek:

Went out to clear the drive and sidewalks with the new snow thrower I got just before New Years Day and did the job. But noticed half way through that the skid shoe on one side was worn all the way through! I just bought this thing. And I've been using it WAY too much this winter! Usually those skid shoes should last at least a season but this is ridiculous. Every three or four days it seems. :mad:
Usually I've put on a few hundred miles on the bike by now but this year less than 70 miles so far due to snow-melt-ice-snow-melt-ice-etc.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Replace the steel shoes with shoes made from hard plastic.Some manufacturers already use em in place of steel cause they last a lot longer.I just can't remember which make of machine I've seen em on.But if ya can't find a set,and if ya have anything on the ball,ya should be able to make a pair as they don't have to be anything fancy.

What make machine do ya have Bob?? I have two Honda's: A 928 two stage with a Hydrostatic Track Drive,for deep heavy stuff,a 520 single stage,semi self propelled, for light stuff,and a 45 inch,two stage blower,mounted on the front of my 2182 International Cub Cadet Super Garden Tractor,naturally equipped with a cab to keep me out of the snow and wind, [I'm a whimp] :D for the OMG snow.The big Honda and the Cub Cadet both use steel shoes,which usually will last a couple seasons,depending on how much snow we get or how much I use em.
But I also stock shoes for both, ;) which just might be an option for ya since you're eatin em.

These parts are usually cheaper when ya buy em on line. I recently found a site that has these parts.["www.jackssmallengines.com"] Punch it in and ya should get right to their website.then follow their direction! How's that for efficiency Bobby?? :rolleyes::rolleyes: ;):)Dave!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Troy Built 2410 24" 2 stage.
I saw the non-steel skids but didn't want to pay 3x the price for the steel ones. Found a good low price on Amazon.com and already have them on the way. If I go through these way fast again I might reconsider and order the non-steel skids. Sold by Arnold, at least the ones on Amazon.com are. They are generic and fit a wide selection of machines as an aftermarket item so you may have noticed them on many different machines.

Used to have a JD single stage that finally wore out. Parts cost too much to fix so replace it. Worked well for 14 years with only replacing the rotor a few times.

BTW- it's "bob"... just bob.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
I had a Crapsman 9 HP 2-stage, but it got to the point where it just wasn't cutting it -- it would eat through pretty much anythning, but at the wide part of my driveway it wasn't throwing far enough, so I was moving the same snow two, sometimes three times if it was a heavy fall. Three years ago I caved in bought an Ariens Platinum 30. No idea what the HP is, because they don't tell you that any more, but man does it move this stuff. Of course the year I got it was the year we had two diddly little snowfalls all season (I thought sure because I bought an AWD car last spring we'd have a record dry winter -- alas that was not to be). If I didn't get my money's worth out of it last year, I'm certainly getting it this year. :eek:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey Bob??Notice how carefull I was addressing you sir!! lol I see where my "LIKES" are startin to pile up!! lol I'm all the way up to number 4! So!! Is that good, bad,or does that mean that someone is lookin to put a contract out on me?? lol lol lol And my PRIZE will be the bullet I stop! lol lol What a great site this is!! lol lol lol Dave!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ed: Craftsmen USED to make a pretty good machine,but not anymore.The top machines are Ariens,Honda,Simplicity,Toro and International.Infact,I think International just blew the others away with their newly introduced three stage blower system which is pretty cool.I've seen em in action,but haven't had the pleasure of using or working on one yet.

I don't know just how big of an area you have to clean,but you buy the machine that best fits your needs,hence the reason I have the machines that I have.And since it seems like our snow amounts are forever increasing every year,ya kinda need a good machine.The 928 Honda is the newest addition to my stable,this being my third season with it.My 520 Honda is 12 years old,and my International is 21 years old.But I take really good care of everything I own [except the wife,lol lol ] which is why they last a long time and give me good service.

Usually,late winter/early spring can net you a good deal on brand name machines.Just don't buy somethin that's too small.So that might be somethin to think about.;) Dave!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Dave: I think I'm good on the snowblower for awhile. ;) I have a 110-ft driveway that's about 40' wide at the top for a couple of car lengths. Plus a patio, and a poop-loop around the yard for the dogs when it gets deep. Because of the way it's laid out and the way the wind is usually blowing, I can only throw it in one direction. So I need to throw it as much as 40' to not be throwing it back in the driveway in places. The Crapsman was good for 25-30', depending on how wet it was. The Ariens seems to be pitching it like 40-45', unless it's slush like last Thursday. And it's a couple of inches wider, all of which makes it a lot shorter job. I got what I could afford the first time; this last time I did some homework first and went with the Ariens platinum series.

I must have gotten one of the good Crapsman's; I had it for 10 seasons, with only a few minor mechanical issues. That thing could chew through thicker, more packed down stuff then the Ariens, like areas that have been walked or driven on before I get to clean it off. The Crapsman would eat through it, where the Ariens tends to ride over it, sometimes even getting stuck. Crapsman also had a lockable axle, which was harder to steer, but unstoppable. The Ariens seems to have more of a car-like differential (and smaller diameter tires, too), making it a little more difficult to push through rough, thick, and icy stuff. Minor compromise for all the other benefits.

Damm, those Honda's are STEEP! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ed- you're thinking of dropping 16+ large on a new Honda bike that you haven't ridden yet and balk at the price of a Honda Snow blower? Well, I agree, they are a bit pricey aren't they. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Ed- you're thinking of dropping 16+ large on a new Honda bike that you haven't ridden yet and balk at the price of a Honda Snow blower? Well, I agree, they are a bit pricey aren't they. :)
Well don't forget -- we're talking about one expenditure for something I want to use as much as possible vs the other which, well, I'd rather not have to use at all!

And yeah, nearest spec Honda blower to mine is $1200 more -- for smaller engine, narrower width, and no electric start. As for the bike, well, for starters, nobody else makes anything like the CTX1300. Not to mention it's the bike I've been waiting for Honda to build since I traded my ST1300 almost 11 years ago. :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Like I said in my other post,IF you shop around,starting around this time of the year,the later,the better,[and NOT in the middle of a snow storm,lol ] and because the dealers do NOT wanna sit on left over inventory [machines] til next year,you can buy one at a considerable savings.I bought my 928 Honda for 1000 bucks off list price.That's $2500 for a $3500 unit,or about 30% off.;) In other words,the dealer just about broke even.After all,he has to eat too,but he's not gonna get fat off of me.lol lol Dave!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey guys! Guess what?? Just for alittle change of pace,it's gonna SNOW again TOMORROW dumping yet another 3-5 inches of that white SH**!!! Oh JOY! I'm thrilled!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: And it's all Ed's and Bob's fault.:p:rolleyes:Dave!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any time.

Only here it's upper 40s for temps this afternoon after upper 20s this morning with sleet and snow on top. It'll be low 50s tomorrow and next day but still below freezing in the morning. Most of the snow is melted and now I'm reminded again why I DON'T like it to warm up too fast! Snow melt run off that will freeze again in the morning. So I STILL cannot ride the bike because of all the ice flows that will be running across the roads. :(

If it would just warm up to maybe 33-34 for just a few hours and then cool down just below freezing the streets and driveway would actually clear and dry off overnight and I would be riding by now. Bummer.

Maybe enough will be melted overnight tonight so that by tomorrow night it will all be drying off the pavement. I intend to get one days' ride to work this week. Thursday will be rain all day and 33 in the morning (too cold to chance it with the ground temps still below 32) and then wet/icy and below freezing again Friday morning.

Saturday I might be able to go on a RTE event with the guys on the ST board. That's a ride to eat event at Scooters in Anamosa, Iowa. Should be dry enough by then... maybe. :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think the two longest words in the English language are "IF" and "MAYBE".:) But I hope you're right Bob.;) Did ya notice how carefull I was using that proper noun???:D:D Dave!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Unfortunately,you're quite correct Bob!:eek: But ya know what I tell all these young wipper snappers when I'm driven my scooter and pull up next to em at a set of lights with my radio/Ipod cranked up playing the oldies or music from the big band era?? :confused: I tell em the OLDER we get,the more SENILE we get.:cool::D And THAT,ma boy,;) usually puts this big grin on their face cause they know dam right well that,like us older kids,they too will be there one day!:eek: So enjoy it while ya still can cause before ya know it,you'll be riding again with your past fellow riders on that big highway in the sky.;) And to be quite frank with you,I look foward to that day cause I know they'll all be there waiting for me so we can do it all over again;);).Dave!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts