CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out looking at one of my favorite parts web sites, cheapcycleparts.com, at the tools page for the CTX1300 and was looking specifically for the price on the pin spanner for adjusting the rear shocks (10.97+16.85 shipping!!!). :eek: Don't think I'll order that just yet until I find out the dealer parts dept. cost. I also decided, while I was there, to compare the tools that are listed specifically for the CTX1300 per the listing with what is available from a few tool kits at Amazon.com.

This CruzTOOLS Japanese Speedkit Compact Tool Kit (metric SKJAS) is almost the very same tool assortment as is shown in the fiche for the CTX tool bag. ;) The exceptions are the helmet cable, spanner (of course) and fuse puller. The CruzTOOLS kit has extra Allen wrenches (4 vs 2), pliers, some torx bits, tire gauge, and a better bag that will actually fit a bit better than stock in the holder. Otherwise the same 2 box/open wrenches and a better screwdriver handle... maybe. I already have a better handle with more bits that I put in the stock tool bag but wanted to avoid robbing my garage tools to make up the rest of what is missing in the stock kit. The CruzTOOLS kit will do the job.

·
Super Moderator
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ordered the CruzTOOLS kit. Wanted to order a Fiamm 130db horn also but shipping was being handled separately. Tool kit is free shipping. I am having my son order the horn for me since he has Amazon Prime and can order it free shipping (I don't so I can't). :D

Should have the connector pins I ordered and the new horn by next week... about time to make my bike heard on the freeway.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My bike is heard on the freeway, but not taken seriously.

·
Super Moderator
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bike is heard on the freeway, but not taken seriously.
This horn, per reviews, makes the bike sound like a big Buick from the 60s, only louder (closer). The air horns I had on all of the last 3 bikes I rode would make others trying to cut me off swerve back to their lane and get whiplash trying to see where the semi is that was about to crush them. Then they would finally notice me. You'd think a GW would be seen as big as it is but not so much really. Surprising but true. The louder than factory horns provide a level of visibility not possible with lights for those BDC who don't "see" what is around them. When extra lights, flickering or flashing or otherwise, and very loud horns don't help then there just is no help to be had. At that point I know I am invisible and drive like it. But if I can get the cager's attention by bright light or loud sound, that's better.

Oh, and I don't subscribe to the "loud pipes save lives" motto spouted by those of a certain brand of bike. Studies have proven that even loud constant sound, like the loud exhaust of a cruiser, tends to blend in with the background. Same as with constant, unvarying lights. But when the sound or lights are different than what has been going on up until that moment, only then are they noticed. One report I read showed how a dim light modulating is more visible than a bright light that is just constant, and from a farther distance. Thus the flickering of the Photon Blasters and headlight modulators and flashing brake lights.

·
Super Moderator
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hate to disagree. But loud Harley pipes, as much of a rumble as they can be, blend in with all the other highway noises for any cager enclosed in a sound deadening envelope. They won't hear any pipes until they are just about right up next to them. The only way they will hear anything before it's next to them is if it is 8 times louder than the loudest pipes on a HD and wasn't there before but is sounded at the moment when needed and repeated, not constant. An air horn or electric horn of 130db or more is at least 8 times louder (maybe 16 times) than any HD loud pipe exhaust. (every 3 db higher doubles the sound pressure)

I read a report from a biker who was also a truck driver who wrote from the perspective of the 18 wheeler driver. They don't hear any pipes from any mc, even after they are passed. The noise inside the cab is louder than any mc on the road. The only way they know you are there is if they can see you in their mirrors, hard as that is, or if you get 1/10 miles in front of them so they can see you over the front of the tractor. Like I said in my previous post... loud pipes mean nothing. A sudden, repeated not constant, blast of a louder horn that wasn't there before is the only hope of being heard or seen by cagers or truckers alike. BTDT, from both sides. Well, the mc and cage sides anyway.

Then again, I know you were just kidding about the loud rumble thing. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm convinced. A horn as loud as a semi or big Buick is on my to-do list.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Loud exhaust

I love the loud exhaust..
CTX1300 engine sounds is great but i want to have loud exhaust pipe
Hope Akraprovic is doing exhaust for ctx1300..

Additionally, I already brought the new Horn from Japan, very loud. I use this for my SUV. and will install the same one for CTX1300.. but will install only one.. mono sounds.. not stereo

·
Super Moderator
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the horn I decided on buying. Single horn, low tone but not super low (low tones travel farther and penetrate more). 130dB. It's not an air horn but just as loud, and louder, than most air horns available (except for my Stebel Nautilus that I had before). After searching for a location under the plastic on this bike I find Honda filled in the spaces rather solidly so I'm going with a disc horn that will fit more easily into less space. It will sit where the stock horn is, if I can angle it right. If not then it will go tight up into the box behind the right middle cowl pointing as much into opening in front as possible. Will try to get a good photo of it installed.

·
Super Moderator
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tool kit arrives

The tool kit arrived today. The tools in it are very good quality. I like that the handle is good quality too and not the cheap fall apart/fail that Honda put in the stock tool kit. BTW- I did try the Honda screw driver/handle and it did fail. The shaft didn't turn the screw but the handle did turn. OOPS.
Here is what Honda included in my tool kit, minus the helmet security cable since I forgot to include that in the photo:

And here is what comes in the CruzTOOLS kit:

100_4391 on Flickr

Click on the link after this photo to go to my Flickr photo where I noted what the tool sizes are. I added a jewelers screw driver and a small crescent wrench, and the Allen wrench and fuse puller from the factory kit, with room for a few more small tools in the bag.

Here are the two tool kit pouches side by side for comparison:

And the new CruzTOOLS kit in the holder in the left saddlebag:

Fits in there fine with room to spare. :D

-

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Thanks for the review and the photos! This looks great. I was looking at this set several weeks ago but decided to get some other things first. Now I think this is going on my list. I did buy a set of metric Allen wrenches (a.k.a. "hex keys") at a local auto parts store and discovered that it fits perfectly under the seat in that area inside of the big rubber band that I think is designed to hold a lock.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Stock Tool Kit

Gang,

Did your CTXs come with a full tool kit, including everything listed on Cheap Motorcycle Parts? Mine left side case had a bag holding just a helmet strap (useless). Curious whether I should go back and stomp my feet a little, since I was 1.5 weeks shy of free $1k accessories.

Thx, Wyrm :eek:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Mine came with the full kit, rumour has it that the US version comes with all tools but the pin spanner for adjusting the rear shocks.

·
Super Moderator
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gang,

Did your CTXs come with a full tool kit, including everything listed on Cheap Motorcycle Parts? Mine left side case had a bag holding just a helmet strap (useless). Curious whether I should go back and stomp my feet a little, since I was 1.5 weeks shy of free $1k accessories.

Thx, Wyrm :eek:
See my earlier post (#10) in this thread on the tools that came with the bike originally. From my own experience the tool kits in the US do not include even half what is shown listed on Cheap Cycle Parts. Photos included of original kit and the replacement that I chose. I've added the spanner now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 tablet using the Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
The sum total of the contents of my tool bag (minus the helmet strap):

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Came across these the other day at Menards. They come in SAE/Metric. 12 point sockets. 8-10-12-13-14-15-17-19 mm sockets all in 2 tools. These are going on the bike. $20

·
Registered
680 Posts
@Stlburd2 Thanks for the heads up. For those (like me) not local to a Menards:

maybe some alternatives:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts