CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new top case arrived on Friday. Installation was very easy (I already had the rack installed). My dealer made a mistake in ordering the lock (I guess the tumblers are a separate item from the lock body) so I do not have the tumblers yet.

Took the wife out for a short ride, and she gives it high marks for back support. It seems very roomy - this will be a very nice addition to the saddle bags. And the whole thing pops off with a lift of the carrying handle.

Very happy with it!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
There are two part numbers for the lock and your dealer has no excuse for showing such gross incompetence (they are supposed to be a Honda dealer, right? Not a potato dealer, for ****'s sake!).

One part number is the outer sleeve that goes into the trunk along with the lock plate; the other part number is the inner cylinder and tumblers.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I ordered my top box on my lunch break today. They said they may have it by the weekend. It looks like a rainy weekend, so I'll plenty of time to install it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dealer made the same mistake - waiting for my lock tumblers to arrive.

I agree you would think they would be smarter about this sort of thing...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dealer is blaming Honda for making it confusing... But he is "eating" the cost (not charging me for the part).

·
Registered
446 Posts
My dealer is blaming Honda for making it confusing... But he is "eating" the cost (not charging me for the part).
If you have ever put a nut and bolt together, then it should be obvious like daylight what part numbers you need, not to mention the assembly instructions mention it, once again, loud and clear.

·
Registered
47 Posts
GIVI bracket is coming

For those who are interested in a variety of case options I have a friend who works for GiVi and they should have a CTX1300 bracket available in early August that will fit all their top cases. Prices are similar to Honda too...I'm going to go thàt way.

·
Registered
131 Posts
On the Fence

For those who are interested in a variety of case options I have a friend who works for GiVi and they should have a CTX1300 bracket available in early August that will fit all their top cases. Prices are similar to Honda too...I'm going to go thàt way.
I was initally fixated on getting the matching (Blue in my case) Honda Trunk. But after seeing the Givi's with lenses/lights etc, I'm now leaning that way. The dealer helped hold a few models ~ in place over my Bike so I could judge. I love the size and features of the E55 , but the lenses look like a VW CC car and don't work well with our exiting rear lens. I think the the V47N "TECH" version (with smoked lenses) looked best. Though standard version (with Red lenses still looked very good and added eye catching safety/visibility). The angles etc. of the V47 seem to compliment the CTX lines and the textured black matches our black sections of bags well enough that a color match seems unnecessary. Almost looks like a OEM match as is. I may go and see how the V46 ( std and TECH versions) look as its lenses are a close style match (like our tail light upside down). I did not consider checking that one intially but now having second thoughts. The advantage of the V46 is ability to add their top Rack which the V47 cannot accept.
I have had communications with Givi rep a few weeks ago and he confirmed the supporting rack design is in works and should be completed end of July or early August. However, due to bike attachemnt limits (I'm assuming), the weight capacity for any trunk used will be ~ 6 1/2 #'s even though the Monokey trunks are rated for ~ 22#'s. That rasies a concern of Givi vs OEM. Does anyone know what the Honda Trunk weight limit is/will be? I have not been able to find that #.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The load limit on the luggage rack itself is 4.5kg, the weight limit for the trunk is 4Kg (from the official documentation).

·
Registered
764 Posts
Why do they publish such low weight restrictions? A box that can only carry 8 pounds is an absolute waste.

A college student will need to carry at least twice that in books.

A trip to the grocery store will need more than that. One gallon of milk weighs eight and a half pounds.

What if I need to pick up a spare battery? Do I need to strap that to the passenger seat since it's the only place that can carry anything that weighs more than a few feathers?

If the trunk can't carry 25 or 30 pounds of stuff, it's pretty much useless.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The CTX1300 is not (IMvHO) intended for doing groceries ;-) and the top case offered is only meant to hold your helmet while away from the bike. It's outer size makes that rather obvious.

As to the "why", the design of the tail section of the bike should make it obvious. Put the luggage rack on top of that and it becomes even more obvious :D

The Venture had 9kg/box (that's 9x3=27 if you load both the saddlebags and the trunk to the max), but that's a different bike from a different era.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Has anyone actually mounted with success a Givi top case yet? I'm trying to sort through the various threads re: weight limits of the Honda rear carrier when attached to a Givi case.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Funny you should ask, I don't know about the US situation but at least on the EU model, the Honda box is made by GIVI :D Of course, it says Honda on the outside and it has Honda P/Ns on the inside, but if you look at the mold numbers, they're Givi's.

More to the point, you probably won't be able to get more weight on the tail of the bike unless you completely redesign the mounts and probably the tail section too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I see a rear carrier made for the CTX 1300 by Givi (SR 1134). Appears only available in Europe. Does this address the weight issue?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Information about that P/N is very scarce, but one source says you can only put 6Kg in the topcase, if mounted on a SR 1134, on a CTX1300.

The 2Kg difference may come from the GIVI rack placing the topcase slightly closer to the passenger seat AND the case itself being lighter (possibly due to lack of a backrest pad).

·
Registered
406 Posts
weight capabilities

If you go back thru the records oh say last 40 years or so that I have been riding.. very few bikes have listed their bags as capable of carrying much more than your helmet,, Has anybody paid attention to that Heck NO. in fact back a few models of the wing and IF you paid attention to the TOTAL available carrying capacity of the gl1200 SEi. If you were to take the average weight of demographic riders and passengers you have already exceeded the MAXIMUM load of the wing without adding any luggage.

NOW that being said,, on my recent 11600 mile ride I had all 3 bags stuffed waaayyy past recommended limits and had 2 30 inch duffle bags strapped to the passenger seat which weighed over 95 pounds. I weigh 210. The ctx handled the mountains roads and the slabs wonderfully MPG suffered of course

1 - 18 of 18 Posts