CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finding out how much I came to depend on my rivco cargo carrier,, I would love to get a hitch installed before Saturday so i can use my 18 by 30 inch carrier on my USA 4 corners. I have not checked.. any chance the ctx rear end and suspension is like the ST1300, I have found hitches for the ST1300

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Very different frame and suspension. Most of the trailer hitches for both flavors of ST use the muffler mounts for the horizontal hoop on the hitch and then a "hanger" or riser runs up to the best solid point that can be found under the seat on the rear sub-frame. I have some very detail photos of my hitch install on the ST1100, that is similar to the ST1300, but you have to be a member on that forum to see them.

I have been inspecting the CTX1300 frame for mounting points for a hitch thinking I may have to build my own. I have a Mini-Mate camper that I pulled with the ST1100 and am considering if I want to pull it with the CTX. See my gallery here for those photos. You might get enough of a look at the hitch too.

A much better, more stable hitch on both those bikes is the style similar to the design made for a UniGo trailer, or Bushtec trailer, and I've seen a few custom made by owner versions for the ST. All are VERY different mounting than what I had on my GW.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok,, thanks for the info,,Saved me from the trip to the dealer and crawling around on his floor with a tape measure, Gues I will have to bug a couple of manufacturers like I did utopia for a backrest to use mine as a guinea pig

·
Registered
227 Posts
Very different frame and suspension. Most of the trailer hitches for both flavors of ST use the muffler mounts for the horizontal hoop on the hitch and then a "hanger" or riser runs up to the best solid point that can be found under the seat on the rear sub-frame. I have some very detail photos of my hitch install on the ST1100, that is similar to the ST1300, but you have to be a member on that forum to see them.

I have been inspecting the CTX1300 frame for mounting points for a hitch thinking I may have to build my own. I have a Mini-Mate camper that I pulled with the ST1100 and am considering if I want to pull it with the CTX. See my gallery here for those photos. You might get enough of a look at the hitch too.

A much better, more stable hitch on both those bikes is the style similar to the design made for a UniGo trailer, or Bushtec trailer, and I've seen a few custom made by owner versions for the ST. All are VERY different mounting than what I had on my GW.
Bob, I put a standard 1-7/8" ball on my hitch and find that it binds when I lean into a turn way too soon and makes it hard to take turns without slowing way down. Is there a particular type ball I should look for, or am I going to have to make something with a universal joint type thing?

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Bob, I put a standard 1-7/8" ball on my hitch and find that it binds when I lean into a turn way too soon and makes it hard to take turns without slowing way down. Is there a particular type ball I should look for, or am I going to have to make something with a universal joint type thing?
You must be really leaning over a LOT for that to happen. I've never been close in the last 10 years of pulling a trailer/camper with the bike.

Do a search for a trailer swivel coupler. Open Road Outfitters carries one that I had. They aren't cheap but well worth the price to save the frame on both bike and trailer in the case of leaning way over or the bike tipping over. My GW almost tipped over in a asphalt parking lot with a TimeOut camper hitched and was at it's limit for the ball/coupler. It convinced me to buy one of these. Be sure to look for the right sized swivel coupler, the hole spacing is different for different tongue coupler brands.

These also make the tongue just a little longer, which is a good thing for stability.

edit: One more thing- Do not go for those hitch balls that mount on a swivel or hinge. They will always be flopping one side to the other all the way down the road (from a rider who had one for a very short time).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts