CTX 1300 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@Kookopelli
That looks like the right connector. To set it up like I was thinking you would need one female and one male connector to plug in between the factory connectors. But that does look like the right one. I haven't really thought any more on it since I am still deciding if I want to even put the hitch on the bike. One moment I think camping in a tent is all I really need and the next I think about not wanting to sell the camper just in case I change my mind about tent camping. Through all that I still haven't changed my mind on tent camping but...

I do recommend the swivel coupler as @kniterider talks about... but those do still use the ball on the bike end of the hitch (unless he's talking about something more like Bushtec uses in their hitch system). The swivel coupler is worth the $150 for peace of mind. I had one on my TimeOut camper with the GW and loved it. No binding when leaning over.

Any more photos of the more refined hitch?
Bob, if you scroll all the way down there is a 6-pin male and a female connector shown.

I am in the process of posting some new pics in my gallery of the hitch on the bike. I need to take some better pics tomorrow and will also post those.

Kook

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Bob, if you scroll all the way down there is a 6-pin male and a female connector shown.

I am in the process of posting some new pics in my gallery of the hitch on the bike. I need to take some better pics tomorrow and will also post those.

Kook
By the way, my gallery is named Darth Brooks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
How goes it with production sir..
I think I sent you a message from my cell phone a few days ago regarding this message. I am still trying to work out a swivel hitch, so I haven't really used the hitch very much. When I have used it everything was fine except the binding when I leaned into a slow turn.

In case you didn't get the message, it basically said that I could send you a pdf file that you can use as a pattern for cutting the parts out of a piece of sheet steel by a local welder.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,772 Posts
I think I sent you a message from my cell phone a few days ago regarding this message. I am still trying to work out a swivel hitch, so I haven't really used the hitch very much. When I have used it everything was fine except the binding when I leaned into a slow turn.

In case you didn't get the message, it basically said that I could send you a pdf file that you can use as a pattern for cutting the parts out of a piece of sheet steel by a local welder.
I would be interested in that PDF file. Are you charging anything for it?

I forgot to reply what I was thinking on your comments about the weight capacity of the hitch. I have no issue with the mounting being able to handle pulling the mass of a trailer or small mc camper. My comments about being able to handle more weight vertically have to do with 20-30 lbs static tongue weight (I always maintain about 27 lbs with my camper) plus the increased weight injected due to bouncing of any trailer going down the road that could end up being 3 to 4 times that weight, or more, on the tongue. On both my GW and ST I could stand, carefully, on the hitch. I have looked at those mounts under the seat and was thinking originally that would be a good place to connect.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I can send them out to you. I will find them, clean them up some, add a few critical comments and send to you probably tomorrow. I may just post a link to them. I don't have a plan to charge anything for them, unless someone wants a hitch fabricated. I am looking for someone locally to cut the pieces out by waterjet because they come out so clean that way and basically just need to be welded together. Once I find out how much that will cost, I can put a price on sending someone a hitch ready to install.

I can stand on the hitch and it doesn't move up and down at all. It can be moved sideways a very small amount if you push hard enough, but it doesn't affect the ride at all. It is made of 3/16" steel and is very sturdy.

I finally designed and fabricated a swivel hitch and got it installed on the trailer yesterday and pulled it about 30 miles. Some was at highway speeds (70 or so) and I couldn't even tell it was there. The bike handles it very nicely. I would guess the trailer and gear inside weighs about 250 lbs and the tongue weight is just under 21 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Bluebird14!
So you want to pull a trailer. I've pulled a camper with my GL1500 as well as my ST1100. Still debating if I want to pull it with my CTX. Taking my time with that decision since it's too early in the year and I'm too busy just riding to think of getting that done yet. I have Kook's plans, he sent them to me per his last post above. They look very good and I will soon take them to a trailer build shop or metal shop in the area to see what they would charge me to make. I don't have the tools or expertise to do that myself, though I would be installing it myself. I just need someone to cut, weld and powder coat if I do this. I have electrical diagrams in my flickr photos (see my signature) for the pigtail and harness done the "right" way IMHO. Will be adding the pigtail regardless since I want to add a tail light/brake bar on the back of the bike and will need that to trigger the relay for the brake.

Feel free to put a thread in the Introductions forum please and introduce yourself and which model/color you have. I see you added the top case. :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I checked out your hitch and trailer, I like it. Met you at the shop this morning, while putting Touring Box on, also stopped in and got my pop pins, thanks.
Glad you found me on the site. Nice to meet you, Mike. I need to get active on this site again and post some details about pulling the trailer and what I have learned. I also had started a thread about getting a tech session together here in Jax that I need to go back to.

Also glad you found the guy I sent you to. He is a good source of replaceable parts like tires, batteries, etc.

Kook

Reactions: Bluebird14

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
I still think Kook's hitch plans are good and would make a good hitch for this bike. I seen a lot of different ways of adding a hitch to a number of bikes and his is better than most and right at the top.

For myself, I just sold the camper today. Therefor I will not likely be adding a hitch to the bike. But if I did, this would be the hitch to add. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
You are too kind, sir.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
@Kookopelli,
Did this ever go to production or you just sending the pdf file on request?
Is the electrical now plug/play?
This is the hitch I used on my last 3 bikes. It went coast to coast on 2 of the bikes. 3/8" bolt with the head cut off and the pin hole is big enough for a small padlock instead of the pin once I started on a trip.
It looks different I know, but it passed inspection after putting this heavier chain on it. I miss pulling my little cargo trailer.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I doubt there would be enough interest to try to market this thing. I can send the pdf file when I get back home on Wed or Thursday. I am on the way to Virginia for a VTX gathering in Fredericksburg.

I fabbed a swivel hitch for my trailer that I am not happy with and have bought the parts to do almost exactly what you did. I bought a third member at Tractor Supply that will work perfectly.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Can you send me the .pdf and let me know if you need any help in making it a reality.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Just got some great information about a hitch. I was talking to a guy that builds camper trailers for motorcycles and I had inquired about a hitch and he gave me the following information. This is quoted from an email he sent me:

"If any of your [forum] members happen to be anywhere Enumclaw, WA (DMC Sidecars) or western Iowa/eastern Nebraska (MC Hitch), there are a couple of hitch makers in those areas who would make a hitch for the first person for free, which of course gives them the pattern to make others to sell.
--
Dale Coyner
[email protected]
www.openroadoutfitters.com"

Anyone up for it?

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
I've spoken with Dale about campers before I bought my Mini-Mate camper 4 years ago. Now that's sold I don't have a need for a hitch at the moment. I do live in central Iowa... a bit closer to western Iowa. There is a member or two here who lives near the borders of NW Iowa/NE Neb/SE SD.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts