CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Anyone out there had transmission problems?

I bought my bike three weeks ago. It is second- hand but only six months old : had 900 miles on the clock when I bought it and now 1,500.

Started her up as usual this morning but there was a horrible noise when I moved off, as if there was a bag of loose ball-bearings in the mechanicals. She moved off very slowly (barely enough to keep me upright) even with the revs up at 6000rpm. It was if it was stuck in about seventh gear (I do know it only has five!).

I shifted up to second after a few hundred yards and about twenty seconds thereafter it was OK for a short while but the problem then returned, worse than ever. I had not gone far (about 3/4 of a mile) and turned home. It was a struggle but made it.

Called the recovery services and, as I predicted, they couldn't fix it. Now transported on trailer to the nearest Honda dealer in the next town. I don't suppose they have even looked at it yet (they have only had it for about four hours) so am anxiously awaiting news. Hopefully, it should be covered under warranty but fearful Honda might try and wriggle.

I am sure it is clutch and/or gearbox related. Has anyone experienced anything like this, or have I just been unlucky?

Annoying (to say the least) to have this problem on such a low-mileage six month old bike, especially as I bought Honda because of their reputation for reliability. I will post again when I have more news.

Happy riding everyone and greetings from England

Stretto Boy

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Sorry to hear of the bad fortune. I haven't read or heard of anything like that on any Honda that I know of. Not to say it hasn't happened to someone but not that I've heard on this bike. Transmission (and engine) is mostly the same as the ST1300 and I am on the ST forum as well. No specific mention of this on that bike either, though there are one or two threads about engine/tranny noise but not the same. It is rare for this drive train being a tested setup for over 12 years now.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Sorry about the bad luck. Since the bike is 6 months old you are covered by the original warranty if the problem is related to defective parts / assembly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the update I promised. It seems that the clutch is faulty and needs to be replaced.

The dealer tells me that thankfully Honda have accepted this as a warranty claim and so it won't cost me anything.

The bad news is that there are no new clutches in the UK and it may take some time for a new one to be imported. I have already been without my bike for two weeks and so likely to have been without her for a month at least by the time I get her back. Good job I have another bike!

In view of the problems reported by others concerning the battery cover, I have asked the dealer to fit a pigtail whilst my girl is in their care.

Happy riding all.

Stretto Boy

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
This has me wondering. You said you bought it with 900 miles already. That means the first oil change was already done. I wonder if the PO put the wrong oil in at that first change? What I mean by that is maybe the PO put in either synthetic oil too soon - though I doubt that would cause your issue even though it is recommended to wait for a few thousand miles on dino oils before moving to synthetic. Or maybe the PO put in oil that is either Resource Conserving or Energy Conserving, both being a BIG no-no on this bike or any bike with a wet clutch. I'm not saying anything about what the cause really is, it was just a thought. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Bob. Thanks for your thoughts. Obviously I don't know the cause but maybe the dealer will be able to say more when I collect it. I do know from the service stamp that the 600 mile service was done on time by the Honda dealer who supplied the bike from new, so one would expect the correct oil to have been used. Still waiting for news of when it will be ready : can't wait to get back on it!

Happy riding all.

Stretto Boy

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Since Honda did that first service then you can disregard my previous post, it shouldn't apply at all. Agree they would be expected to use the correct supplies for that service. It is good that they covered the repair.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bob. I heard today that it has been fixed and road-tested so hopefully all will be well now. I will be collecting my bike on Saturday (can't wait to get her back!) and hope to have a chat with one of the technicians to see if I can find out more about the exact nature of the problem. It seems to be a rare, almost unknown problem with CTX and ST 1300s so guess I may just have been unlucky.

Happy riding all.

Stretto Boy

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all : in about three hours from now I will be reunited with my bike. I haven't been so excited since I first bought her about 6 weeks ago! If I get any useful feedback from the dealer about the clutch problem I will post it here, so watch this space.

Happy and safe riding all.

Stretto Boy

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all : sorry to say that I cannot provide any further information about the clutch problem which I experienced.

The dealer just said that the clutch didn't work, couldn't be fixed and had to be replaced. They couldn't say what the cause was but as Honda accepted it as a warranty claim it must have been some sort of manufacturing fault.

No-one else seems to have experienced this sort of problem so I guess it was just a one-off andI was unlucky.

The good news is that the return of my bike coincided with a spell of nice weather. I am now taking the long, scenic route to the office just for the fun of it!

Happy and safe riding all.

Stretto Boy

·
Registered
446 Posts
(...)
The dealer just said that the clutch didn't work, couldn't be fixed and had to be replaced. They couldn't say what the cause was but as Honda accepted it as a warranty claim it must have been some sort of manufacturing fault.
(...)
That's some show of disrespect towards a customer who bought a brand new bike which was not cheap. I would be very wary of doing business (or having anything else to do, for that matter) with them in the future.

But then again, that's just me and I care a lot about respect, especially in business.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I read this forum almost everyday. I'm also on forums for other types of motorcycles. I'm always looking for the next cool motorcycle that can satisfy my rather eclectic desires. This post about a clutch problem is actually quite unique. If you scan through the history of posts for the CTX 1300 you will find a lot of issues with how the bike performs, primarily issues with harsh suspension. There are almost no, zip, nada posts about mechanical failures. And that is for a first run model. IMHO dead-on reliability is a HUGE positive. Just sayin.... If you want a first run model with a lot of problems, check out the Triumph Trophy SE forum and then go out to your garage and affectionately pat you CTX.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Flytrap : CTX duly and affectionately patted!

Stretto Boy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts