CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having issues with the rear tire and how it's wearing. The left side is wearing a LOT more than the right, and the middle has developed a hard "peak" like the tire is under inflated.
Tire pressure has always been at 42psi.
The tire is a Bridgestone Excedra Max and only has 6000 miles on it (like the original, left side was worn a lot more, almost bald, at 6k miles)

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
99.99463% of the time, uneven wear like you're describing is due to the crown in the roads you ride on. In the US and anywhere else we drive on the right side of the road, motorcycle tires wear out faster on the left side; just the opposite in Britain and wherever they drive on the left side. The effect can be more or less depending on the kinds of roads you ride on most. If you do more miles on the highway, the difference in wear will be less, because highways are usually flatter; if you tend to stay more on back roads, especially 2-lane roads, the difference can be greater.

Or maybe you're just taking too damm many left turns.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But so great that it makes a peak like shown? My first tire was nicely rounded (and worn on the left side) but not with such a harsh peak in the middle...

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
But so great that it makes a peak like shown? My first tire was nicely rounded (and worn on the left side) but not with such a harsh peak in the middle...
Lots of variables, of course -- tire compounds will vary from one manufacturer to another, even different tire models from the same manufacturer, and that weights heavily on how much and how fast a tire will wear. The type of riding you do, the pavement on the roads you ride most, the heat in the weather you've been riding in since replacing this tire, all kinds of things. A well-defined peak like that is definitely a little unusual, but not unheard of. Other things to consider might be your riding position -- it's possible you lean to one side without realizing it; I did ride with a guy once who noticeably hung off one side of the bike more than the other. Or the weight of the load in your bags -- if the right side has significantly more weight in it than the left, for example, the bike will naturally want to lean to the left to stay upright, and you might never notice it. I know I keep more junk in my right bag than the left just because it's easier to get in and out of, although the heaviest thing in there is a small can of Plexus. Just a few things that come to mind off the top of my head.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which is weird, because most of my stuff is in the left bag... So you'd think the bike would want to lean to the right?
I guess maybe I don't do enough highway driving....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Motorcycle tires have a harder compound in the center for wear and softer compound off center or on the part you ride on while leaning, there is a lot more force on the softer part while in a turn and it wears away more than the center does, unless you do a lot of hard accelerating and brisk stopping.
My first tire wore fairly evenly because I ride pretty aggressively. It was worn more on the left side as usual, and there are lots of theories why that happens. I have seen people almost come to blows trying to prove their theory.
For what it's worth, I know the reason, but decline to discuss it on a forum. Gets too messy.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Haha. I'd like to think we're civil enough here to avoid coming to blows while discussing tread wear! I promise I'll only lose it if wimpyhonda comes back to let us all know the tread wear is SO much better on the Kawasaki Versys he traded his CTX for. ;-)

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Haha. I'd like to think we're civil enough here to avoid coming to blows while discussing tread wear! I promise I'll only lose it if wimpyhonda comes back to let us all know the tread wear is SO much better on the Kawasaki Versys he traded his CTX for. ;-)
If it gets really out of control, I'll just drop a comment about how much better my mileage is using premium fuel. :D (It isn't, it isn't -- I kid, I kid!!!)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it gets really out of control, I'll just drop a comment about how much better my mileage is using premium fuel. :D (It isn't, it isn't -- I kid, I kid!!!)
I actually tried the premium non-ethanol fuel once... (note: once)
I think that MAYBE there was a 1-2 mpg increase... really not worth it.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@jeffz, All I can say is I feel sorry for the Cowasocky forum....

There is non-ethanol fuel in 87 if you search for it. Me and brother get 3-5 mpg increase when we use it.
I figure (might be wrong) that it would be constant 5+ if I could find it local and continue to use it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts