CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my Honda trunk last week and there appears to be something missing. There are two sections, one on each side of the trunk floor, where it looks like there are supposed to be panels. There are points where snap tabs would lock in and then support tabs located around both "L" shaped areas.

Anyone else here with the Honda trunk have the same issue?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I installed my Honda trunk last week and there appears to be something missing. There are two sections, one on each side of the trunk floor, where it looks like there are supposed to be panels. There are points where snap tabs would lock in and then support tabs located around both "L" shaped areas.

Anyone else here with the Honda trunk have the same issue?
Still nobody with some information about this?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm nor sure what seems to be the problem with your trunk but here a picture of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
That's what mine looks like. Richard, are you thinking those rectangular hollows are receptacles for tabs on some piece that you didn't get? I can't answer why they're there, but I don't think that's what they are. That or we all got ripped off.

I find the extra bit of bottom useful for small items that can ride in that sort of gutter while bigger stuff like helmets is floating above. A panel placed in there would just rob a few shallow cubic inches of capacity.

Jeff

·
Registered
446 Posts
Same here and I was thinking the same thing when I first unboxed it :) But then I realized (a) I don't need the bottom to be perfectly flat, (b) that extra space came in very useful a few times and (c) if I ever want the bottom to be perfect, I can easily make a cover for it.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm nor sure what seems to be the problem with your trunk but here a picture of mine.
Yep, that is exactly what I am talking about.

Having seen many different designs over the years this looks unfinished, like the designer planned on putting panels there to create a flat trunk floor and the bean counters overrode that to meet a price point.

I like the idea of the extra room but if there were removable or even hinged panels in those locations so that you could store paperwork or some such thin items that would make it even better.

I think I'm going to see what I can do in my shop to make a couple of panels that fit there.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what mine looks like. Richard, are you thinking those rectangular hollows are receptacles for tabs on some piece that you didn't get? I can't answer why they're there, but I don't think that's what they are. That or we all got ripped off.

I find the extra bit of bottom useful for small items that can ride in that sort of gutter while bigger stuff like helmets is floating above. A panel placed in there would just rob a few shallow cubic inches of capacity.

Jeff
Jeff,

Yes, I do believe that the rectangular areas are for tabs and that the little nubs located all around the two recesses are supporting locations for a panel. Also, note how there is a recess all around the opening for what appears to be about a 1mm thick panel which would bring the height up to a perfectly flat trunk floor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am getting ready to order and install the Honda trunk myself. Is there anything particularly complicated about the mounting or is it pretty straight forward?

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you have the instructions and have ever held a wrench in your hand, it should be a half-hour job (and that's slacking it).

If it's just the trunk (and its base), it's dumb easy. If you're also installing the luggage rack now, the big bolts may seem a bit difficult to align at first, other than that, it should be fine.

It took me 15 minutes to put everything on except the lock cylinder, I did it in the parking lot of my dealer (much to his amusement). When I came back to ask if he can take care of the cardboard boxes for me, he said "I was expecting you to insist on installing everything yourself, but I really did not expect you to have all the tools with you and know how they come together by heart".

Little did he know I read the instructions before hand (I have very good photographic memory when it comes to mechanics) and I even knew the torque values by heart!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I am getting ready to order and install the Honda trunk myself. Is there anything particularly complicated about the mounting or is it pretty straight forward?
Well if you are getting the Honda lock for your trunk (the one that will work with your current bike key, part 08M70-MJE-D01) the assembly require some time and patience if you have never done something similar.
The kit comes with instructions where to download the instruction.
Which is basically this link http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/TERMS010.aspx
On the contrary the rack , base and trunk assembly is a very simple matter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts